AIMhack Postmortem: Selos and Blood Marsh

Ephesos

Originally Posted By: Seiðmaðr
Actually, who says we couldn't return to play as an NPC? That'd be kinda neat.

But then we wouldn't get to play them, since, by definition, NPC's are non player characters. So there'd be no incentive to do that.

I'm looking forward to a higher level campaign, like maybe level 10-ish.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to see characters from throughout the various AIMHack campaigns traveling through Mote and appearing in different campaigns. It makes whole setting more real, deeper, I think, if you can see characters from different campaigns connecting. The more campaigns and more characters there, the more "history" there is to which to make connections. While I wouldn't necessarily want one of my characters (well, currently my only character) relegated exclusively to being an NPC, I think one-time cameos (as either an NPC or played by the character's...player) would be really cool for making those intra-campaign connections. It would be something similar to the role of Temmyn in Bloodmarsh...but only intended to be for one session, or even part of a session, thus avoiding the scheduling issues that came up when trying make Temmyn a full member of the party. The point would not be a full revival of the character, but making fun and interesting connections amongst the characters. FWIW.

Oh, I also definitely want the chance to play AIMHack with another character besides Lanrezac, but I would enjoy using him further.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Actually, who says we couldn't return to play as an NPC? That'd be kinda neat.

But then we wouldn't get to play them, since, by definition, NPC's are non player characters. So there'd be no incentive to do that.

I'm looking forward to a higher level campaign, like maybe level 10-ish.

I meant that we play our old characters, but they're not really the actual players in the campaign. Maybe show up for a session or two or something.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I meant that we play our old characters, but they're not really the actual players in the campaign. Maybe show up for a session or two or something.

I am also open to doing this.

So like as shopkeepers or sages or questgivers? Like, Boregloaf could dispense quests and Kurex could train in spells or Amadan could sell herbs? That's... interesting.

So like as shopkeepers or sages or questgivers? Like, Boregloaf could dispense quests and Kurex could train in spells or Amadan could sell herbs? That's... interesting.

Oh come on, you know Kurex wouldn't train anyone. He'd be too busy berating them as weaklings or threatening to set them on fire. tongue

Originally Posted By: Triumph

Oh come on, you know Kurex wouldn't train anyone. He'd be too busy berating them as weaklings or threatening to set them on fire. tongue

If Kurex ever starts preceding his efforts to set people on fire with threats, at least then we'll be able to see them coming.

Spoke too soon!

Click to reveal.. (Vitze's Epilogue)
As soon as Zarusa was done with the party, Vitze hit the road.

She wasn't afraid that anyone else might be hunting her. It would be some time before anyone in Cromk made anything of the fact that the elf and the dwarf hadn't returned, and if they even bothered to send someone else they wouldn't get to Selos for months.

No, she was just eager to get away from Zarusa, who she still suspected might secretly have been behind all this, not that Vitze would dislike her any less if she weren't. And Lanrezac, who thought he was so damned clever. And Nixak, who had the nerve to look down on her as if he was all sweetness and light. Kundak was inoffensive enough, but she wouldn't miss him any.

Boregloaf seemed alright, for a guard. Vitze tried to convince her to come along, but the goblin wouldn't be persuaded, so Vitze left alone.

As she walked out of Quera, she was uneasy. She was used to being on the inside of a plot, but the events of the last few weeks had made it clear that she (and, less importantly, everyone else in the world) was someone else's mark. This was unacceptable. She wouldn't let anybody get the best of her like that. And, with her new-found mastery of magic, she was sure she could do something about it. She would find these secret masters of the con, and if they didn't let her in on their game then she'd run them out of it.

An old lacewing once said there are two kinds of knowledge: the kind you know, and the kind you know where to get. Vitze was short on the former, but she had a good lead on the latter. So good, in fact, that she was willing to brave the jungle again to reach it. A week later, she was outside the Oracle's home once again, hoping she'd be let in. . .

Bravo, Sarachim!

Originally Posted By: Vitze's Epilogue
No, she was just eager to get away from Zarusa, who she still suspected might secretly have been behind all this, not that Vitze would dislike her any less if she weren't. And Lanrezac, who thought he was so damned clever. And Nixak, who had the nerve to look down on her as if he was all sweetness and light. Kundak was inoffensive enough, but she wouldn't miss him any.

Boregloaf seemed alright, for a guard.

Hilarious! laugh I like it.

So those two she, ah, talked to in Sarden were sent out by Cromk to hunt her down? I was never quite clear on how that had worked, but it makes sense now.

Edit: You know...based on the epilogue and what Sarachim said earlier...it would be amazing if in a later campaign, Vitze came back as a boss enemy NPC.

The hits just keep on coming!

Click to reveal.. (Alexander's Interlude)
After defeating the Dream Realm Yunelias and returning to the normal world, Alexander should have been proud of his accomplishments. And yet, all he managed to feel was disappointment that he hadn't managed to find his lost father. He chose to remain on Risis, living in Mekos.

Every since Alexander returned to Mekos, he became obsessed with the Blood Marsh. Every day he would venture out into the Marsh, exploring every crypt and ruin he found, and mapping out every square inch. Every time he went out he would hope against hope for a sign of his father, but nothing ever came. He remained in Mekos long after he had run out of paper making his maps, yet still he had not found his father.

And so he remained, waiting for a sign...

Just a few more and everyone will be accounted for!

Click to reveal.. (Kurex's Interlude)
One by one, the members of the Blood Marsh party filed out of Tazabith's hut. First went Alexander, muttering something about a crazy undead lady. Then went Esstra, followed shortly by Sawbones. After it became apparent that Kurex was not about to leave, Amdan stood and left, flashing a gaze at Kurex before he left the hut. Tazabith frowned and shook her head.

"I guess I know what you want."

After a moment, Kurex spoke. "I presume it would be appropriate payment for our services."

"I know I shouldn't be doing this, but very well." Muttering a few short words under her breath, Tazabith lifted the curse. "Now leave. And never, ever come back, or I will personally sprinkle your remains into the marsh."

"But of course..." Kurex bowed mockingly and left the cottage, closing the door behind him. He turned, and set out for Mekos, never once looking back.

After a short march, Kurex reached Mekos. He was leaving this godforsaken island for good. He had what he wanted, and this island was no longer useful to him. He smiled and patted his chest, making sure the journal was still there. It was. Something like this, to the right archmage, could mean quite a lot of gold. And if there was one thing Kurex had learned, it was that gold meant power. Using a combination, of gold, blackmail, a silver tongue, and promises of payment on arrival, Kurex managed to secure a passage to Ona. It was a hell of a risk, to travel to his former homeland, but he needed to find a very specific person.

The ship ride was uneventful. There were no krakens or pirates, as the captain had feared. One short horse ride and several near misses later, Kurex reached Eolith, one of the largest cities on Mote. and his former home. After some quick scouting, he finally found the residence of the necromancer Sllithik, one of his three remaining contacts with the higher circles of magic. Sneaking in the back door, he entered the library. The old dragonborn turned around in shock.

"Kurex?" the dragonborn hissed "What on Mote are you doing here! Have you lost all sense? Ona is far too dangerous for you! You were banished!" He quickly pulled Kurex into a small study and muttered a phrase. "We are now shielded against prying eyes and ears. But tell me, what on earth compelled you to risk your life and come to see me?"

"Circumstances have forced me to play my hand. I have a dire warning to give you." Kurex then related the tale of how Chamlusep's lieutenants were alive on the Plane of Dreams, and trying there hardest to enter back into reality.

"You are sure? It was really Yunelias?" Sllithik whispered.

"Without doubt. And he referenced Chalmulsep, as well. I have little doubt that the Lord of Pain is out there somewhere, longing to come back and once again wreak devastation on Mote. More disturbingly, one of the members of my... entourage came upon a ring that he claimed contained a fragment of the Lord of Pain. He mentally battled him and barley won. But what is most disturbing of all is the fact that this ring was on Mote. What if there are more of these artifacts?"

"This is shocking news, indeed. I will have to consult some of the others about this. Perhaps Gaunik-Da will have more information on the goings-on in the Plane of Dreams. A visit to Keoshor may be called for, as well."

"I am sure you know best. But it is too dangerous that I remain here. I have one last deal to take care of before I flee again. Perhaps you can assist me."

"What?"

"Along the journey, we encountered a powerful fiend. He carried with him this journal." Kurex held up the journal. "I am loath to hide this, it would be too eager to be found to remain hidden long. And I do not wish to risk destroying it. Perhaps you could buy it?"

"Certainly. It will make a valuable addition to my library." replied Sllithik, handing Kurex a small pile of gold coins.

"Thank you. I need to lay low for a while. I have little doubt that if this incident is investigated, my involvement may be discovered. I cannot allow myself to be located quite yet. I think I will open a small shop in a quiet corner of a city far away, or perhaps take on an apprentice."

"I cannot image what horrors were visited upon you that you would consider taking on an apprentice. Are you sure you are alright?"

Kurex chuckled. "Your sense of humor is dry as your scales, friend. As always."

"Of course. Now, don't you have an island to flee?"

"Of course. And Sllithik?"

"Yes?"

"Thank you."

Without another word, the two parted. Kurex returned to the docks. He had enough gold for a passage to anywhere on Mote, and even then enough to buy and stock a small magic shop. Perhaps he would be able to settle down for once, relax, make some money as a "sage" in some backwater where no one knew who he was.

But something was not quite right. The visit to Sllithik had puzzled him somewhat, in a way he couldn't quite pinpoint. It was almost as if it reminded him who he was, and who he had been. He still wanted his power back, the only difference was that he now had a feasible way to get it. But that way wasn't as a purveyor of magical trinkets.

It was as an adventurer...

As we collect the various interludes of all the Selos/BM characters, I have a new proposal that might intrigue people, given the recent discussion of PCs appearing as NPCs elsewhere.

A lot of you already know that I've got a crazy-awesome job at a summer camp teaching kids about game design. And I probably mentioned that last summer I ran some D&D 4.0 for them, using a nifty random-ish dungeon I whipped up. Well, since then, AIMhack has come into its own, so I want to run their tabletop stuff in that this year. And I'd like to put it in Mote, after briefly toying with throwing them into the Labyrinth.

But I need quests. And I thought it might be awesome if they got the quests from former PCs, or if perhaps the quests involved PCs. For instance, now that Kurex's reappearance is becoming better-known, it would make sense for the powers that be in Eolith to send some people to hunt him down. (Naturally, the kids wouldn't be killing him, 'cause that would be lame.)

So, think about it, and drop me a line if you're interested in having your character(s) get involved.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Line also dropped. I would love to see Lanrezac investigate Kurex, as I explained in the line. smile

Why is it I'm sure that the final quest list will wind up looking like this?

Click to reveal..
Quest Log:

Investigate: Lanzerac, a lacewing historian, wants information ona a mysterios man in the port by the name of "Kurex"

Find: Lord Elgracenstein the elf lord wants you to collect 15 trinkets from passing merchants.

Capture: Boreogloaf the goblin guard, wants you to capture the bandit leader plaguing the city.

Find: Harosh, a lacewing druid, wants you to find his lost puppy.

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill Boreogloaf the guard

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill Lanzerac the historian

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill Vizte the con artist

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill Nikax the mind mage

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill Zarusa the Pyromancer. He warns that she is extremley dangerous.

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill the Oracle.

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill the entire population of Selos

Kill: Kurex the mage wants you to find and kill any five archmages

tongue

I have a good idea for a quest that Kurex can give the party. I'll drop Eph a line.

L. O. L.

Oh Kurex. I'd love to see Vitze and Kurex get into an argument. Or even better, Vitze and Xuan! "My crazy plan that involve claiming we come from the moon trying to escape an evil wizard named Zarusa is better than your plan!" "No, my plan that we catapult flaming turtles into the enemy camp is vastly superior!" It would be a riot! Oh, wait, riots... wink Truly, having Vitze and Xuan in a party would be totally amazing.

• 2 weeks later...

Pardon the bump.

Click to reveal.. (Kundak's Interlude)
After witnessing the destruction rampaging Selos firsthand, Kundak decided to retreat to the great temple of Phol-Phoram where he had been an apprentice. The high priest welcomed him like a prodigal son, but all the fanfare made Kundak realize that he was much more suited to the life of a traveling priest than that of a spiritual recluse. Kundak would soon be bestowed the official title of priest, but Kundak's heart lay elsewhere.

Also, into my first week of camp, and it looks like no AIMhack this week. Way too much going on.

• 3 weeks later...

Another thought. Instead of "spidwebRP" and "spidwebRP2", why don't we have rooms identified with a single campaign? Namely, "spidwebRPbrigandage", "spidwebRPdustbowl", "spidwebRPimperium", so forth. It'd ensure that the room didn't see enough activity that it'd eventually lag down during the middle of a session, and it'd avoid any risk of room conflict should two campaigns happen on the same day (like DB and TW did last friday, though admittedly there wasn't any room conflict). There'd be no confusion from having to change rooms during the middle of a campaign thanks to the old room lagging down, nor any confusion that might occur should DMs choose to use different rooms.

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Another thought. Instead of "spidwebRP" and "spidwebRP2", why don't we have rooms identified with a single campaign? Namely, "spidwebRPbrigandage", "spidwebRPdustbowl", "spidwebRPimperium", so forth. It'd ensure that the room didn't see enough activity that it'd eventually lag down during the middle of a session, and it'd avoid any risk of room conflict should two campaigns happen on the same day (like DB and TW did last friday, though admittedly there wasn't any room conflict). There'd be no confusion from having to change rooms during the middle of a campaign thanks to the old room lagging down, nor any confusion that might occur should DMs choose to use different rooms.

Eh, I'm kind of lukewarm about that. If it's not broke don't fix it. Lag isn't so much of a problem, and if it is, then, well, spidwebRPℕ can come into use.

Click to reveal.. (From the journal of Lanrezac, official Queran Ambassador)
It has been an intriguing week. As soon as we began the rebuilding process in earnest, we noticed figures skulking around the edge of Quera. We took them to be looters or bandits, so Boregloaf and myself dealt with them.

Then things took a turn for the stranger. A group of adventurers, clearly inexperienced, arrived. They claimed to be sent from Selaneus to investigate the assassinations, since Mayor Olkhan was nearly killed as Lord Hakkel was. However, they had not heard of Hakkel's demise, nor were they aware that Quera had burned to the ground. I took them to meet with Zarusa, who was suspicious of the whole business.

Now it is a fact that Quera and Selaneus have not always been the closest of neighbors, but to suspect them of foul play in any of this? I thought Zarusa was overreacting, but said nothing. She sent the adventurers on their way back to Selaneus, and gave them an enchanted dagger to ensure their departure.

The group itself was strange, to say the least. They seemed to be led by a lacewing named Uko, who claimed to be a summoner. Also in their group was a priest of Phol-phoram, a dragonborn who went by Artemis. Another dragonborn, Niamh, was rather excessively violent and prone to blurting out information the others wished hidden. A third dragonborn, with the none-too-subtle name Calamitus, was clearly a necromancer, and should have cleaned the dirt from his shovel. Then there was the lone elf, an archer who briefly introduced himself as Zen. As a whole, they were... dysfunctional.

After we sent them on their way, two days passed uneventfully. However, it was not to last, as a hawk bearing a message for Zarusa arrived. It contained a simple message: "First wave of Selaneus guard on its way, get yourselves to safety."

Now, this was troubling. We assumed the hawk was sent by Uko, so Zarusa sent a reply that was perhaps more troubling to me: "We will be ready."

We prepared to the best of our ability, Zarusa setting wards around the city, the rest of us herding the people of Quera into relatively safe locations. The temple of Sliros was to be our fortress, but luckily we never needed it. No troops ever came, and it was not until the five adventurers returned several days later that we got the full story.

Apparently, they had snuck past the advancing troops, and returned to Selaneus to confront Mayor Olkhan. He was livid, as he knew nothing of the plan. The party was sent to the town barracks to get an explanation from the guard's captain. They blundered in and were immediately locked up, but broke out and ended up killing the rogue captain. Thankfully, Olkhan was able to halt the advance of his army. I shudder to think what would have befallen us had the order not come in time, for while we have our own defenses, Selaneus is far larger than Quera, and its city guard is both extensive and well-equipped.

Eventually, the adventurers returned to Quera, and Zarusa was pleased enough with their work that she enchanted an item for each of them. Personally, I was quite happy to see them return to Selaneus, for while they were competent enough, I am not sure I trust them.

Yep, I ran a game with the kids at camp this week, and they had a rather big effect on the political state of Selos. Here are the characters:

Click to reveal.. (Uko, lacewing summoner)
Name: Uko
Race: Lacewing
Alignment: Creative

HP: 10
STR: 3
DEX: 2
INT: 5

Artifice: 3
Composure: 2
Magic: 4
Thievery: 2
History: 1

Notes: Uko was sort of the party leader, whenever he could get Niamh to be quiet. He seemed bent on summoning a different animal on each spell, to the point where I had to draw the line at kangaroos. There are no kangaroos on Mote.

Most epic moment: Summoned a rhinoceros to completely destroy a staircase, and crit summoning a lion, which appeared mid-pounce and tackled a guard right before both just disappeared.

Click to reveal.. (Niamh, dragonborn fighter)
Name: Niamh
Race: Dragonborn
Alignment: Twitchy, Impulsive, Stabbity, Loud

STR: 5
DEX: 3
INT: 2

History: 1
Perception: 3
Martial: 4
First Aid: 3
Religion: 1

Notes: Niamh was very loud. Whenever she rolled poorly, she would screech. And when she rolled well. And when anybody else rolled well. Or poorly. Also, she liked to think out loud, which all of us would mistake for in-character speech.

Most epic moment: She tried to flirt with an angry guard. And while it didn't really work, it confused him enough for the party to drag him away and beat his face in.

Click to reveal.. (Calamitus, dragonborn necromancer)
Name: Calamitus
Alignment: Subtle

INT: 4

First Aid: 4
Perception: 1
Nature: 2

Notes: Calamitus, apart from having the best name by far, was pretty good at being a necromancer without just being stupid. His main spell was a cloud of hungry scarab beetles, and his weapon of choice was a shovel.

Most epic moment: Zombifying the guard the party surprised (see above), and using it to attack its former comrades.

Click to reveal.. (Artemis, dragonborn priest)
Name: Artemis
Alignment: SMITE

INT: 4

Composure: 2
Nature: 1
First Aid: 4

Notes: The party healer, Artemis was mostly a support character. But the quarterstaff of epic smiting was used a few times, and I allowed him to have a light spell (handy in the jungle at night).

Most epic moment: After the guard the party surprised was zombified (see above), Artemis was chosen to don the guard's armor to try and sneak the party back out of the barracks. It... well, it almost worked.

Click to reveal.. (Zen, elven archer)
Name: Zen
Race: Elf
Alignment: Silent

STR: 2
DEX: 5
INT: 3

Composure: 3
Perception: 3
Streetwise: 2
Martial: 4

Notes: Zen was quiet. Very very quiet. But, he was a solid party-member, and provided more than enough cover-fire for everyone.

Most epic moment: Landed the killing blow on Captain Nesmith, the human-hating end-boss of the adventure.

So yeah, it was fun. Also, apparently Selaneus has a big problem with people's cats being stolen. So sayeth the DM. tongue

• 2 weeks later...

*kabump*

A thought about fighter skills. What if, each level (including the first), a character with martial skills gets to select a new martial ability? It'd have to be appropriate to their current martial skills (e.g. no super-awesome sword maneuver when you've got a 1 in swords, no mace knockback ability when you're only trained in bows, common-sense-etc.), and you'd naturally only get one-per-level, but unlike a wizard, you wouldn't actually need to memorize the abilities. Once you know it, it's there for good.

I think it'd help spice up fighters and help make them a bit more balanced with wizards, but simultaneously avoid complexity and keep fighters simple to play.

Thoughts?

So would wizards get these too? Because how would we draw an arbitrary line between "fighters" and "wizards"? If they have points in Martial, are they a fighter? If they have points in any magic skill, are they a wizard? How would that work?

Also, kan plz have metamagic for wizards? Because metamagic is awesome smile

Eph kind of started something this line with Boregloaf (the only real melee tank in either of the first two Mote campaigns). She got at least a couple special attack abilities. Oh, you already mentioned that. I think he talked about expanding on that kind of thing, but obviously since he hasn't run a campaign on here since the end of Bloodmarsh/Selos he hasn't had the chance to do anything with it.

The reason why it could be worthwhile for fighters to get special abilities is that a Martial (whatever) skill only does one thing: use (whatever) to attack. By comparison, any given Magic (whatever) skill actually grants four or five or six or even nine (I'm looking at you, Eva) different abilities at a time. Since magi can switch out spells between sessions, the number could go even higher. Meanwhile a pure fighter character just has their basic attack roll. That's not to say fighters can't put thought into their actions and use tactics, but their options are seriously limited compared to a magic user.

As for how to decide who gets these abilities (dare I can them "Battle Disciplines?")...I have two ideas at the moment. One would be to simply say only people with magic skill can have them. It's simple and easy, and the vast majority of magic users in AIMHack so far haven't bothered with weapons anyway. The other, more complicated idea, is to tie these weapon abilities to a character's weapon skill. For example, I get the impression that a skill level of 5 represents a competent, professional level of skill in a given discipline (while something 10+ represents mastery). So say say that only characters with at least 5 Martial skill can these abilities. Only characters who are truly committed to using a weapon could get them, but it they would still have the freedom to learn magic too. Though I wouldn't favor it, you could take this further and tie learning particular abilities to skill level (just as one learn Battle Disciplines at particular as one's various skills go up). So when Martial reaches 5, one learns Spinning Blade, and when it reaches 7, one learns Super-mega-ultra-mecha-razor-chop, or whatever.

Also: Metamagic?

Edit: a third idea is not to standardize the abilities, but make them more like perks, given out at the DM's discretion. Unlike perks, however, they would be specifically focused on weapons, given out more often than perks, and based on the ways a character actually weapons in play. So if a character never really used a weapon, regardless of skill level, the DM would have no reason to grant an ability. If a character is chopping stuff to bits right and left, then the DM will give a perk, regardless of whether or not that character can also lob fireballs (which, oddly enough, hardly any characters in AIMHack actually do, so far). This is not an organized, standardized solution. It would rather be just a matter of admonishing all DMs to remember to give fighters extra abilities, while leaving the rest up to individuals.