punched a hole in the wall

JSMany

Unfortunately, I have a manager who oversee the apartment who doesn't like me and likes to nitpick on small things to hassle me often. Anyway I've punched couple of holes in the wall few years back and just covered it up with posters and now that my lease is up for renew, there is a chance my landlord might find out about it.

So do you guys suggest I tell the manager? There is a clause in the contract that says I might get evicted for damage that is not normal wear and tear. I'm afraid the manager will use this chance as a excuse to evict me, but I really don't know if I can fix it by myself. Suggestions?

I recommend trying to restrain yourself a bit and keep from lashing out like that. Failing that, try trashing your own personal property if you want to punch something, rather than punching the wall. Still does damage, but at least it won't get you kicked out of your home for it.

Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have much experience with this kind of situation. But I wish you luck.

Concur with Nioca.

Also, as the saying goes, honesty is probably the best policy. Trying to literally "cover up" (literally) the problem will not work forever - sooner or later the landlord will will see the damage. Better to be forthright about it than make him even more upset to find out you were trying to trick him. A soft tongue breaks bone, someone has said. Be appropriately respectful, apologize, and make clear you're ready to pay for it (I assume your lease probably requires that anyway, but it's still polite to offer before he demands it).

[/two cents]

They just don't make walls like they did 200 years ago. Oh, I've accidentally "punched" a whole in the wall before. It was pretty easy to fix and it was not noticeable at all that there had once been a hole there. I was surprised. The dumb texture stuff that goes on sheet rock must have covered the umm lines between the old sheet rock and the new sheet rock. Personally, I am afraid of your landlord and would avoid talking to her, but she might notice the wall repair people coming in to your appartment and come inside to check it out.

Originally Posted By: 1 n33d n0 1n7r0duc710n
Stash [fake] body parts in the wall and suprise him when he looks behind the poster, then tell him what realy happened and beg for forgivness.

LOL I certainly find this a good alternative if I had some place to fall back on, but I called the management and they fixed it right away. I guess it wasn't such a big deal.

Anyway thanks guys. I'll give it a thought to anger management but I really did have a good reason.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Hard to imagine there's ever a good reason to reason to wantonly destroy someone else's property... There are better ways to release such energy or emotion.

Yes yes I understand. And if I were you, I might say the same thing. But there were extenuating circumstances. Just know that it involved my cousin going through a bitter divorce and he didn't want to see the truth. I said somethings he didn't want to hear and he ended up taking a swing at me. I got upset at him for being so blind and at the time, I wanted to pound his blind face in too. I just punched the wall next to his face couple of times and told him to get out.

So yes, I lost temper and caused property damage, but then if you knew the whole story about my cousin's divorce, you would call me a saint for not beating my cousin up.

P.S. yes I was at fault. Let's just drop this, shall we?

Yes because no one else has ever had any problems like that before! It's not like literally every person on the planet has had something like that happen before or anything.

Here's my advice: start acting like a damned adult and take some responsibility for your actions. Don't act like a little kid and ask how you can cover up your stupidity.

Tell your manager and pay for it to get fixed. If you get evicted, you deserve it, if you didn't, consider yourself lucky and learn not to act like a 5 year old.

Fix it up with plaster, and the put the posters back, or even better move furniture in from of it(the heavier, the better). I highly doubt you landlord will know, and if for whatever reason they begin moving your furniture and tearing down your posters, claim that the damage was there before you arrived, and come up with a plausible story why. If you do a good enough job covering it up, they shouldn't even know.

Originally Posted By: JSMany
but I called the management and they fixed it right away. I guess it wasn't such a big deal.

Sounds like the problem has been dealt with. Not sure why people are still giving advice. The whole thing just goes to show that most, or at least some, people are actually quite agreeable when you're honest with them.

Originally Posted By: cfgauss
Yes because no one else has ever had any problems like that before! It's not like literally every person on the planet has had something like that happen before or anything.

Here's my advice: start acting like a damned adult and take some responsibility for your actions. Don't act like a little kid and ask how you can cover up your stupidity.

Tell your manager and pay for it to get fixed. If you get evicted, you deserve it, if you didn't, consider yourself lucky and learn not to act like a 5 year old.

Wow, you're kind of a dick all of a sudden.

Originally Posted By: Dreaming Under Elderberries

Wow, you're kind of a dick all of a sudden.

Yeah, I was kinda surprised at this post too.

Also, I'm telling on you for saying "dick".

edit: oh god no, i agreed with nalyd, didnt i?

Yeah, that was... surprising.

Honestly, it's easy to act high and mighty in such a situation. It's not at all surprising, especially if one doesn't understand just how bad anger control issues can get. I had to go through some anger management when I was younger, and thank god that I did.

That said, in the situation he described, I definitely wouldn't have punched the wall in. As much as I'm ashamed to say it.

This isn't about getting mad and punching holes in a wall (which is already stupid) it's about not acting like an adult and taking responsibility for stupidly punching holes in the wall.

Quote:

Anyway I've punched couple of holes in the wall few years back and just covered it up with posters and now that my lease is up for renew, there is a chance my landlord might find out about it.

And then asks if he should tell the manager? I'm sorry, but that's just stupid, childish, and selfish.

This isn't about getting mad and punching holes in a wall (which is already stupid) it's about not acting like an adult and taking responsibility for stupidly punching holes in the wall.

Quote:

Anyway I've punched couple of holes in the wall few years back and just covered it up with posters and now that my lease is up for renew, there is a chance my landlord might find out about it.

And then asks if he should tell the manager? I'm sorry, but that's just stupid, childish, and selfish.

Looks like somebody's on their high horse...
fdr1.jpg