Don't you hate it when...

Nicothodes

...the killer/drug lord of the book you're reading turns out to be a guy who hides incriminating evidence in his sock drawer, uses his middle name as his drug alias, and allows his girlfriend to steal his clothes, with full knowledge that she is trying to figure out who killed her cousin? Why did the wrong person get convicted again? Oh, yeah, cause police are dumb and drugged up high school students aren't.

Erm, I was ranting about a book I just finished. Also, the fact that I came up with a better plan of action to take when discovered than the villain did saddens me. There's no way you can explain a dead girl in your bedroom. Let her leave, and call the police telling them that your girlfriend had a nervous breakdown, is delusional, ran out, and you're afraid she might be a danger to others and/or herself. Instantly discredits anything she says, and her evidence amounted to a ring owned by the dead cousin, who had left all her material possessions to her.

The book is All Unquiet Things, by the way.

hehe

but if all stories were set irl then we would have none of the great books we enjoy,

we would have no lord of the rings,

no death note,

no Shakespeare,

no I robot,

no bibles or holy scripts,

we would have nothing to read.

but next time you see a book you might like read the ending first just to make sure its a good story. tongue

Sorry, but I don't understand where you thought I was complaining about it not being set in real life. It was set in real life, the characters an plot just turned out to be dumb. Also, still on my rant the "villain" was the only likeable person in the book, and the whole motivation/this is what happened explanation seemed to be retconned in order to have a twist.

Yes, pretty much.

I suppose it could be singled out from the above list for not being a single story, but I prefer to argue that it is Shakespeare who does not belong. He's not a work of literature at all*!

(*Assuming one does not subscribe to any of the various odd theories which argue that he was, in fact, a work of fiction.)

The bizarre thing about I, Robot is the fact that it is completely different than the movie. The characters are the same, sure, but the plot is completely different. It'd be like if you made a movie version of Macbeth and turned it into a romantic comedy, where there was a love triangle between Macbeth, Banquo (who you made a female), and Duncan, and then had all the characters behave nothing like they were actually written. People would go there expecting to see a story about a dude who killed his king and is tortured by it, but then you gave them something so far out of the ballpark it just stunned them.

Actually, both the book and the movie were excellent, although the movie did have that cheap 2001-esque trope of "malfunctioning computer takes over" while the books were more an explanation of why the computer malfunctioned.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
Kind of like the Martian Chronicals by Ray Bradbury or the Cthullu Mythos by Lovecraft, at least that's the way I seem to remeber it.

Fun fact: the Cthulhu Mythos is only roughly used by Lovecraft and probably not really intended, except maybe as name-dropping for frequent and attentive readers. The Mythos we know and love and fear today was actually codified by others.

—Alorael, who is sure dread Cthulhu will one day arise and complain about the errors as he devours everyone. Any day now, really. Just ask your local astrologer!

Originally Posted By: You know that person who...?

Fun fact: the Cthulhu Mythos is only roughly used by Lovecraft and probably not really intended, except maybe as name-dropping for frequent and attentive readers. The Mythos we know and love and fear today was actually codified by others.

True, so I guess I shouldn't have used that as an example, though most of his stories mention the Necronomicon, which I would wager has been usurped and used more often than Cthulhu.