Diablo...

Upon Mars.

Knowing, that Dialbo III is about to come out, i have taken to revisit the original Diablo game, and found it surprisingly good...

Ogen, and his wine drinking fantasies, Griswold and his hell forge anvil... and found out that the many quest were very like those of Angband...

I have two questions :

1-How is Angband remotely related to Avernum or Exile?

2-Do you think that the creators of Diablo one inspired themselves from folk tales for their level designs? ( ...the wells being clogged by demons as a frog in the story of the luck child and so on... ) and if so, from where did they pull their inspiration?

1. Besides Angband's predecessors, Moria and Rogue, being among the early RPG-like games for computers and ultimately both sharing a debt to D&D and Tolkien in the most general sense, they're not really related. Exile's immediate memetic ancestor is Ultima.

2. Folk tales? Probably not intentionally except for our popular conception of demons, which of course comes from the Bible, Dante's Inferno, Paradise Lost, and a lot of fantasy from the last sixty odd years. It's not exactly a game of subtle references.

—Alorael, who would also be cautious about that "about to come out," as there is no announced release date and the company is Blizzard, which doesn't really believe in release dates.

2-True, but it does use some interesting memes, the butcher for example is akin to the public image of an ogre, it's great clever similar to great Hercules' club, spell guardian, is close to the russian Zmey, also keeper of treasures...

-Paradise lost and Dante's inferno had little to play with the change in description of demons, unlike Barlowe's God's demon of course... i suggest that a more recent view of the Bible may have done it, with of course the tales of the Shedim and Sher'im...

Originally Posted By: upon mars

2-True, but it does use some interesting memes, the butcher for example is akin to the public image of an ogre, it's great clever similar to great Hercules' club, spell guardian, is close to the russian Zmey, also keeper of treasures...
Wow, not comparisons I would have drawn, and I doubt that Blizzard drew inspiration from any of those specific things either. Though it certainly speaks to the power of collective consciousness and the power of archetypes that you made those connections.

One interesting thing about Diabo I is its lack of reference to other Blizzard games, probably since it was one of their earliest. Though I suspect Diablo 3 will contain an abundance of references to all three of their gaming worlds, sort of the developers way of stroking their own egos, I suppose. I just hope they don't completely recycle an old plot like they did with Arthas/Kerrigan. Though on second thought, it might be cool if they stole Warcraft 3's plot and had humans and demons (as opposed to humans and orcs) ally together to defeat an even greater threat to the world, like Heaven or something. That would be epic.

Originally Posted By: upon mars
Knowing that Dialbo III is about to come out...

Originally Posted By: Alorael
–Alorael, who would also be cautious about that "about to come out," as there is no announced release date and the company is Blizzard, which doesn't really believe in release dates.

I just went on a roller coaster ride. I thought that maybe D3 somehow had had a release date set without my knowing. Thanks, Alorael, for crushing my dreams.

That said, I really am not expecting it before 2012. Any time before that is just a bonus.

In D3, Blizzard reveals that the Prime Evils are responsible for development hell. Specifically, the development hell of Starcraft: Ghost.

—Alorael, who was absolutely sure that the game would include a three-mouthed super-demon until Dante's Inferno became a game and snatched the rights.

Originally Posted By: Master1
And when are you going back to your normal graphic? I hate having to read your post to figure out who you are.

Eventually. Fortunately, you can skip the avatar altogether and look at the little line of text right above it to identify me every time!

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Ooh, does that mean you get to fight the developers of Duke Nukem Forever as well?

It's cruel to kick them while they're down.

—Alorael, who also is unsure whether it would be appropriate to stat the sort of things that lurk in development hell lasting longer than a world war.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: FUD Purum
In D3, Blizzard reveals that the Prime Evils are responsible for development hell. Specifically, the development hell of Starcraft: Ghost.

Ooh, does that mean you get to fight the developers of Duke Nukem Forever as well?

Yes, and then the game culminates in a battle where you get to execute John Romero with a large sword.