Babelfish Contest

Dikiyoba

Some of you may remember this from its previous incarnation. The premise is simple. At the end of this post is a phrase. You will run it through Babelfish until you end up with something funny. Whoever posts the most hilarious result wins. (No, you don't win any sort of prize, but you will get bragging rights.) You must use Babelfish, but you can translate however many times you want and with whatever settings you want. At no point can you edit any of your results. You can only enter one translation into the contest and you can't change it once you've entered, so choose wisely. When you post your entry, be sure to include the translation path that you took with it. This contest will probably last a few days, depending on how long the entries keep coming. Please keep conversation unrelated to the contest out of this thread.

The first phrase comes from where else but The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"First, it is slightly cheaper; and secondly it has the words Don't Panic inscribed in large friendly letters on its cover."

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Cthulhu
Does the translation path have to be exact or can it be approximate?

Dikiyoba doesn't need every translation (though you can include them if you want), but Dikiyoba does need to know the order of languages you used. (For example, a short translation path might be English-French-German-English.)

English to Dutch

Dutch to French

French to Italian

Italian to English

English to Spanish

Spanish to French

French to Greek

Greek to English

English to Russian

Russian to English

Quote:
D'? ; l'? access, they are the illumination [of aparaititosi]? and in the place t o of the second it does have Don'? ; word? ; t had a fear to which you they would write down in the large friendly letters in t o its cover.

Cleaned up:

Quote:
D' access, they are the illumination of aparaititosi, and in the place of the second it does have don't word had a fear to which you they would write down in the large friendly letters in its cover.

English - Chinese Simple - Chinese Traditional - English - Japanese - English

Quote:
First, that has a cheaper point; And as for second in that word Don' It possesses; cover' So T which is painted; The amicable letter of s is panic extraordinary.

Cleaning it up a bit, we get this:

Quote:
First, that has a cheaper point; And as for second in that word Don, It possesses; cover SoT which is painted; The amicable letter of s is panic extraordinary.

English-Korean-English-Dutch-English-German-English

Quote:
First it is more inexpensive something; And in second place to it Don' becomes; Is; T in panic, which comes, to carve from the letter to the piglet child in it handguard are transferred.

I am fascinated and baffled by the piglet child.

Edit: It's possible I might have translated from Dutch to English twice in a row.

I was going to do a bunch, but this result was just do funny I had to do it.

English to Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese to English to French to English:

Quote:
D' access, it has a point to be cheaper; And in the second place it has the word Don' ; T which paints in its cover' ; the friendly letter of S considerably is panic

And cleaned up a touch, it reads:

Quote:
Of access, it has a point to be cheaper, and in the second place it has the word Don't, which paints in its cover the friendly letter of S, considerable in it's panic

English to Japanese

Japanese to English

English to Russian

Russian to English

English to Korean

Korean to English

Quote:

First, it wraps barely; And about second time don' Justice word; It has; From the majority which has the letter which is amicable [predusmatriva] the panic t which is recorded.

A bit cleaner?

Quote:
First, it wraps barely; And about second time don Justice word; It has; From the majority which has the letter which is amicable predusmatriva the panic which is recorded.

When I cut and paste the phrase, I inadvertently took the quotation marks with me, with interesting results.

English to Dutch

Dutch to French

French to Portugese

Portugese to English

Quote:
; "D' boarding, market is the best lights; e in as place have the Don' words; ; panica t that in the great friendly letters on its cover." ; to registar;
I'm not bothering to clean this up.

I tried to go farther (English to Spanish, Spanish to French, French to Greek, Greek to English), but it started to turn into a jumbled mess.

English

Portuguese

French

German

English "First of all c' is easily cheaper; and in second place it has the words Don' ; Panic of t inscreido in large friendly letters in its cover."

Then:

Russian

English

Korean

English

First time c' It to be easy is cheaper; And from second time place to it don' There is a justice word; ; There is to it handguard and inscreido t panics which are to the letter which is big kind.

The second one is my final. The earlier English is just a midpoint.

English-Spanish-French-Italian- English-Japanese-English-Greek-French-Spanish-English.

I thank that was all of the translations.

Quote:
D' ? l' ? L' entrance is economy easily with and to this Don' ? [is word 2$ ace] of the place she was scared of the t that is enumerated according to a great part of the cover under the friendly letter.

I vote for Nioca's when the time comes. The reference to SoT is great.

English to German

German to French

French to Portuguese

Portuguese to English

English to Chinese Traditional

Chinese Traditional to Chinese Simple

Chinese Simple to English

Quote:
He is d' dispendiosa travels by has bit by bit; e has Don' as the place; Word; ; In giant friendly letter t-Panik inscription in its cover.

No. Dikiyoba will make a decision sometime later today (probably) based on the uncleaned up entries. (Speaking of which, you should make a note in your post so Dikiyoba knows which translation is the one you want Dikiyoba to accept. Dikiyoba assumes it's the second one, but clarification is always good.) Everyone is more than welcome to keep commenting on which ones like best, of course.

You are going to end up with lots of crazy stuff with that line.

English - Japanese

Japanese - English

English - Korean

Korean - English

Quote:
To the line of 9 beans the honeybee which decides there is that place which with independence the honeycomb for the honeybee of low price and the honey in common knowledge of the noisy camping ground, lives.

English to Traditional Chinese

Traditional Chinese to Simplified Chinese

Simplified Chinese to English

English to Russian

Russian to English

English to Japanese

Japanese to English

English to French

French to Dutch

Dutch to English

English to Greek

Greek to French

French to German

and voila:

Quote:
I [ginonta], for thanks, preparation that these 9 d' lines; Concerns broad bean well qu' ? it has there, that the need honeybee' ? C' ? l' l' the east; ? Bee like [mesokyttario] s at l' swale; ? l' Bee hundredth and me in an isolated manner walk of l' Existence.

So far my clear preference is for the first one, by Mod. I like totally screwed up meaning, that still sounds as though it was trying to make sense, better than lots of isolated letters and untranslated words. But I suppose that a few absolutely outrageous phrases might win out, even if they were surrounded with garblage.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Go for it, Mystic.
Thanks, but don't say I didn't warn you; I could give out a million of these (only a slight exaggeration). wink Anyhoo, here goes, with one of my more recent memes:

"Sanity is inversely relative. The more relatives you have, the less likely you are to be sane."

I'll let someone else do the judging; I'm currently on vacation, and I don't know if I'll have reliable internet access for the next week or so.

english->traditional chinese->simple chinese->english->greek->french->dutch->english->japanese->english->korean->english (i think…)

The head which is clear is the parents about this. It the proper bottle probably that place time, when small stuff it being from a mind which to the very two dyne is many parents, will be able to use you whom puts.

English -> German -> French -> Greek -> English -> Chinese trad -> Chinese simple -> English

On the contrary use cause. More is you some parents, your d' ? Is fairly the general place.

I don't like this myself as well as some of the others, but it's the best I found after several tries. This isn't so easy after all.

Original:

Quote:
"Sanity is inversely relative. The more relatives you have, the less likely you are to be sane."

English -> German

German -> English

English -> French

French -> Spanish

Spanish -> English

End:

Quote:
"The reason is in the inverted father. More used, than it has to him, it is you, healthy probably stops to be less."

...oddly, any further translations wound up with extraneous punctuation. But I suppose the clauses stopped making sense somewhere around here.

Originally Posted By: tridash
english->traditional chinese->simple chinese->english->greek->french->dutch->english->japanese->english->korean->english (i think…)

The head which is clear is the parents about this. It the proper bottle probably that place time, when small stuff it being from a mind which to the very two dyne is many parents, will be able to use you whom puts.
O.

M.

G.

Excuse me while I go pick my jaw up off the floor.
Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
This isn't so easy after all.
I warned you didn't I? winktongue

I can easily give out some worse ones, should anyone wish me to do so. However, it won't be for a few rounds.

Quote:
Men, for years now, have been talking about war and peace. But now, no longer can they just talk about it. It is no longer a choice between violence and nonviolence in this world; it's nonviolence or nonexistence.

english -> french -> english -> german -> english -> italian -> english -> porteguese -> english -> italian -> english
Quote:
The men, during the years now, had said in the war and La Paz. But now, they can more also speak not in him. It is not plus a selection incorporates the action of the violence and the Gewaltlosigkeiten to this world; it' nonaction of the violence or the absence of S.

Originally Posted By: tridash

THAT really came from "Sanity is inversely relative. The more relatives you have, the less likely you are to be sane???"

How did the translation grow longer than the original quote? confused

Also, what is customary about...cleaning up one's translations? Do it after each translation? Only at the end? Not at all? No custom?

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I believe the idea is to not clean up the translations at all.

Yes.

Also, Taslim, or whatever you call yourself more permanently, I'm not sure where your quote came from.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Quote:
"The reason is in the inverted father. More used, than it has to him, it is you, healthy probably stops to be less."

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the winner.
Although an honorable mention goes out to RCCCL for this bit:
Quote:
The lake parents incinerates to him