Avernum 2 builds

1. What would be the fighter build that will actually survive the endgame ? At level 17 my guy has :

HP - 87

Str - 11

Dex - 6

End - 8

Melee - 12

Hardiness - 8

Defense - 5

Assassination - 2

Anatomy - 5

Then i stumbled on some imperial wizard dude with 300 HP or so, which i hit by 10 points per hit, while he summons demons every turn...that was painful. Not to mention i have serious troubles with mutated giants.

2. What are the most useless extra skills and spells ? For example, i noticed that Sanctuary spell is absolutely useless, at level 2 i still get attacked.

3. I wish people would realize already that naming their threads "av1-av5" or "a1-a5" makes them impossible to find later, and leads to people asking same questions over and over, and this forum is already 100+ pages long.

It's been a few years since I've played Avernum 2, but ...

1. Increase assasination since at higher levels you get a better chance of bonus damage. Anatomy isn't as helpful. Increase your melee skill.

2. Sanctuary was useful only once when I first left the Tower of Magi to give me time to buff.

3. The forums were merged so Avernum 4 and 5 were dumped into the older Avernum Trilogy (A1-3). There wasn't a need back them to mark the games.

1. You can rarely have too much endurance. Luck is very useful for resisting magic (and basilisks) and saving your life if you die. I second Random with the Assassination; it can make all the difference.

2. I just finished A2 with a duo on Hard (or whatever it's called). Fireblast was definitely my most used spell. Sadly, the further you get, the more useless Sanctuary becomes. I had it at level 3, but multitudes of creatures still easily attacked me. You probably know already, but First Aid is quite a waste. Same with Anatomy, but most others have their points. For special skills, I recommend Barter, Magery (expensive), Blademaster, and Parry. Again, most spells have their points, but Sanctuary is bad, and Call Beast + Create Illusions are mostly worthless in about the last fourth of the game. Slow and Haste are both extremely useful, especially at level 3.

3. Pretty much.

4. Welcome to Spiderweb! (Please leave your sanity at the door.)

Originally Posted By: karry
2. What are the most useless extra skills and spells ? For example, i noticed that Sanctuary spell is absolutely useless, at level 2 i still get attacked.
For mage spells, I've played A2 so long that I consider Light to be fairly useless, though I still get level 3, since it's relatively easy to get. Also, because I don't bother with summoning, I have no real use for any spell that summons creatures.

If you get sufficient training in the Pathfinder skill, the priest spell Safe Travel is totally useless (even at level 3), save for the occasional shock floor, and even then it's not worth much.

Find Herbs is useful if you have a character with plenty of free inventory slots and/or you make a lot of potions; otherwise, forget it.
Quote:
3. I wish people would realize already that naming their threads "av1-av5" or "a1-a5" makes them impossible to find later, and leads to people asking same questions over and over, and this forum is already 100+ pages long.
What Randomizer said. Plus, over the years it seems like a sort of notation system has developed when referring to certain games or series of games. It tends to be a bit confusing at first, but it's easy to learn.

Quote:
What Randomizer said. Plus, over the years it seems like a sort of notation system has developed when referring to certain games or series of games. It tends to be a bit confusing at first, but it's easy to learn.

Why would i learn something that doesnt work ? Search engine doesnt understand 2-3 symbol inputs. So what is there to "learn" ? Sifting through 100 pages manually ? No thanks.