Exile, II, III strange crashes to desktop

tindrli

Greetings to the community!!!! .. i just downloaded an exile 2 and 3 demo and everything is fine i mean all function's working well except those upper left side options.. nomather wich one i click from all thiese

2w2ebk2.jpg

game crashes and i get back to desktop

i wonder since these are old games maybe im doing something wrong and this issue can be avoided

im running XP pro SP3

thanx in advance

yes sir.. the upper left menus are not working.. well not that they are not working they just crash my game to desktop every time i press any of them..however shortcuts are working at least the one that i discovered.. like CTRL+S (save)now the biggest problem that i have is that i dont know how to level my party .. my wizard gained few levels but i dont know how to get to the character sheet window to set skill points that i gained frown

i tried

downloading again and reinstalling-didn't helped

running EXILE3.exe in win 98/me and win 95 compatibility no help

any other suggestion??

thanx for the quick answer

Originally Posted By: tindrli
thanx for answer but can anyone tell me wich shortcut buttons are for character sheet where i can upgrade skill levels??? coz im in the middle of the some kind of cave most of my crew is level 4 now and im kicking pretty well!!!
Read the manual. It will tell you most of what you need to know with respect to shortcuts and stuff.

ah thank you thank you.. i think i saw someone with training abiity... anyway i tryed the dosbox thing and no luck as well it says
That's to be expected. What cfgauss was suggesting is that you:
  1. Download and install DOSBox (which you clearly did).
  2. Somehow obtain a copy of Windows 3.1 (either location an old CD or use Google)
  3. Install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox.
  4. In DOSBox, type "win" to launch Windows. (Windows may be automatically launched when you install it, but this is still useful to know.)
  5. Install Exile under Win3.1.
  6. Play.

Having done this myself, I'll point out that it seems to work quite well. Make sure you set the display to 256 colours (SuperVGA, I believe?) in Win3.1's control panel or whatever for best graphics in Exile.

Quote:
That's to be expected. What cfgauss was suggesting is that you:
Download and install DOSBox (which you clearly did).
Somehow obtain a copy of Windows 3.1 (either location an old CD or use Google)
Install Windows 3.1 in DOSBox.
In DOSBox, type "win" to launch Windows. (Windows may be automatically launched when you install it, but this is still useful to know.)
Install Exile under Win3.1.
Play.

Having done this myself, I'll point out that it seems to work quite well. Make sure you set the display to 256 colours (SuperVGA, I believe?) in Win3.1's control panel or whatever for best graphics in Exile.

tell me that you are kidding???? ..

and you said that you done this yourself .. recently???

maybe i should format and reinstall coz it seems that im only one that have this problem

I did it a month or two ago. And yes, that's the only way to run Exile under DOSBox. Still, I only did that because I use a Mac, and newer Macs can't run Exile at all. WinXP should be able to run Exile fairly well.

You could try redownloading Exile from the official site and reinstalling it, if you like. I've heard it also helps to install the game somewhere other than in "Program Files" (or was that for Vista?).

By the way, isn't using the Quote button easier than copy-pasting and typing out the quote codes yourself?

i wonder is it necessary to be able to use these upper left menu buttons??to Finnish the game???

and other thing which is totally off topic but if someone explain me this it will save me from hours of searching.. i have a mage and that mage can cast level 3 spells.. now i invested in mage spell skill till level 5 and mage lore as well but i cant cast level 4 spels... so i must be doing something wrong.. now, what are prerequisites to be able to cast level 4 mage /priest spells and above

i wonder is it necessary to be able to use these upper left menu buttons??to Finnish the game???
You can probably get away with never using the menus, and the few menu items you might actually need have keyboard shortcuts.

I think Ctrl-W is the town equivalent of Rest, for example... (correct me if wrong?)

Vista has the problem with Program Files directories, not XP.

The "Save As" function you will need, you can't use only one save game file for the entire game. You can simulate this in Windows Explorer by creating a copy of your existing save file, with Ctrl + Drag. Then rename it. In Exile 3 open the new save file.

If you can use the Ctrl + O, Ctrl + S and Ctrl + Q shortcuts but not the menus that is annoying and odd, but not a great problem.

Alchemy is Ctrl + A, Wait 40 moves is Ctrl + W and Display Automap is Ctrl + M.

now, what are prerequisites to be able to cast level 4 mage /priest spells and above
To cast any mage/priest spell, you must do the following:
  • Obtain sufficient skill in that type of spell
  • Have enough spell points available to cast it
  • Learn the spell; depending on the game, you'll start knowing all or most spells up to level 3
These may be done in any order, but you need to do all three to cast the spell.