Beta Call: Discord

nikki.

Yay.

I'll send the beta out, probably, hopefully, perhaps, this weekend. I understand if people are unavailable because of this. Real life, and my desire to release something good, are holding this up. Mainly real life, actually, but we'll soon deal with that.

Thanks for your patience everybody.

• 5 weeks later...

So...

Discord is bothering me. Any BoA designer (or anybody half-way creative) will know that the scenario/work you wanted to make is vastly different to how it turns out when you've finished. Not a single one of my scenarios matches the plan I made at the beginning of each one. Sometimes this works out for the best - The Eternal was vastly different to what I made, but it was convoluted, and clunky, and BAD when I first came up with the story and started making it. Luckily, the scenario I released was just bad, and not the other two things. tongue

Sometimes though, it doesn't turn out well. Discord is different than I planned - I expected no less. But... it doesn't feel like a complete scenario yet, and I don't know what it is that's missing. There is some great stuff in there already - a really nice fight, and a couple of puzzles, and some great writing - but it doesn't feel like a full story. And until it does - that is, until I figure out what's missing - it won't be released. And that makes me pretty sad, in all fairness.

Bottom line (TL:DR): I hope to finish it soon, but I really don't know how to. frown

Nikki,

Did you miss any of the following?

1. Cover what was happening before the scenario began?

2. The events that launched the party into action?

3. Set the combat / surprises to be reasonable given the party's actions?

4. Place a tough choice in the party's path?

5. Big, bad boss throwdown?

6. Change in party's status/standing/way of life after fight with big bad?

7. Epilogue / conclusion makes sense?

8. Covered the party's motivation?

9. All sub-quests / sub-plots resolved?

Dahak: No, no, I don't think it's anything like that.

I guess I'll sit down with it tomorrow, finish the last bit of coding in the final fight, and try to work out what's missing. Then, I don't know. Probably go ahead with the beta - I'm now torn between wanting to get this done and out there, but also aware that I've spent 3 years (off-and-on) on this, and I don't want to share it until I'm happy it's complete.

This nonentity agrees with Enraged Slith: a beta might help. If you've really worked on it for 3 years then maybe a fresh pair of eyes could help pinpoint what exactly is wrong with it. Or maybe the beta testers might be able to convince you that there is nothing wrong with the story.

By the way, do you know how the scenario is lacking or is it just a case of "it doesn't feel right." If it is the latter case then definitely just beta it. Since when has beta meant "complete", anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

PROGRESS!

I've sent out a beta-ish to two lucky contestants! Whoever manages to guess the value of the SDFs, without going over, will win a brand new microwave oven!

Hopefully, in the course of this exciting and groin-tinglingly-good contest, the two testers will tell me that everything is fine, that my scenario shall be the subject of poems and songs in ages to come, and that I can send out to a couple more people for a real beta-test very soon.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...