A6 demo - wrong calculations when selling stuff?

Elwro

After having finished Avernums 1-3 a few years ago I decided to come back and try the newest one. Right now I'm playing the demo. After clearing the first underground area I wanted to sell my loot to the slith in the Depot. BUT! Regardless of how many items of price x I have in the stack I'm selling, I'm only getting x coins from the slith! (So, to get a reasonable amount of money, I have to sell all the flawed crystals one by one.) Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

I'm playing in Wine, on Ubuntu - could this be of any significance?

BTW, I love the new engine. (Loved the old one, too...)

You know how it says an item is worth, let's say, 200? In Avernum, when you sell it, you only get a fourth of the items price. So lets say that each Gold Necklace says its worth 100 coins. When you sell it, it'll be worth 25 coins. It's very annoying and I honestly don't know what Jeff does this for Avernum, but there you know.

Thanks, but I know this. I'm really saying that when I'd be selling 4 Gold Necklaces (each supposedly worth 100 coins), the Slith would only give me 25 coins, not 4x25=100, but all the necklaces would disappear from my inventory. This is what explicitly happened with my flawed crystals and other stacked items.

Sorry for not having been more explicit.

Oh damn, that sucks. Yeah, that's definitly a bug.

First, try downloading the demo from another site (so, instead of downloading it from site 1 go download it from site 2). It might be a corrupted file from the download site.

Or, make a new game and try it then. It could be a corrupted save file.

The only other thing I can suggest is try selling items to a different vender. It could be a bad piece of coding on that one merchant.

I would Email Jeff about this since he doesn't read the boards very often.

Oh.... yes, thanks. My mistake. I thought both the value listed in the TOOLTIP for the stack (x) and the one on the shop screen (x/4) were for a single item. Now I see I was mistaken, and I guess I have to seem a bit stupid about it laugh Everything works fine.

Sorry for taking your time,

E.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
You know how it says an item is worth, let's say, 200? In Avernum, when you sell it, you only get a fourth of the items price. So lets say that each Gold Necklace says its worth 100 coins. When you sell it, it'll be worth 25 coins. It's very annoying and I honestly don't know what Jeff does this for Avernum, but there you know.

It's probably a relic from the older Avernum games, where you could train in a Bartering skill to increase the fraction of an item's value merchants would give you.

Because the game needs to give some value. Jeff chose the buying price instead of the selling price so that people wouldn't give him bug reports about things costing four times what they should when bought from vendors.

—Alorael, who actually does think the selling price would make more sense. That value is much more stable compared to the varied prices shopkeepers use.

Originally Posted By: GIFTCockroach
I agree. It works like that in G4, why not in Avernum? It's also less confusing.

The exception is stackable items with a value less than 4 (textbook example: G3 oil lams, worth 3). Knowing the buying price allowed to know what to keep and stack and what to leave on the ground. Not having six/four inventories made minor details like that much more important in Geneforge.

Originally Posted By: Post hoc ergo post hoc
Because the game needs to give some value. Jeff chose the buying price instead of the selling price so that people wouldn't give him bug reports about things costing four times what they should when bought from vendors.

—Alorael, who actually does think the selling price would make more sense. That value is much more stable compared to the varied prices shopkeepers use.

Most of your involvement with items involves selling them. It makes more sense for their value to be based on what you see most often, rather then numbers that only actually match up a handful of times when selling to vendors.