Server Migration

Alorael at Large

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
We're about to pull the trigger on switching our URL to http://www.spiderwebforums.com/forum/ubbthreads.php
This means the forums will be down for a few days (1 to 3) as the DNS servers adjust. It also means any links to the old ironycentral posts will no longer function. I predict a lot of headaches. But here's hoping it means better performance down the line.

Brace for impact, hope for swift recovery, and we'll all see one another again on the other side.

—Alorael, who isn't sure exactly when the Great Change will occur. Expect it when it will be most surprising.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I may offer up a very simple php script from when I moved from forums.calref.co.cc to calref.co.cc:

Code:
<?phpheader('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');header('Location: http://calref.co.cc'.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);?>

Simply change calref.co.cc to spiderwebforums.com, make it the ErrorDocument 404 for ironycentral.com/forum, and pop it in. Works perfectly.

Quote:
If I may offer up a very simple php script from when I moved from forums.calref.co.cc to calref.co.cc:

Code:
<?phpheader('HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently');header('Location: http://calref.co.cc'.$_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']);?>

Simply change calref.co.cc to spiderwebforums.com, make it the ErrorDocument 404 for ironycentral.com/forum, and pop it in. Works perfectly.
I'm guessing that he's keeping the other Irony Central material on the domain, so the redirect should only happen when accessing something under /forum/. Otherwise the default 404 should be served.

During the migration a few people will probably be accidentally banned.

And replaced with bots.

A few more, I mean. Not like this hasn't been happening for years.

But this time, the bots will be better. Nice, polite bots, that never spam, but post 3 times every day with helpful game tips, enthusiastic game reviews, and uplifting paeans to family values. Stepford posters!

Originally Posted By: Taslim
At least the forums aren't going to tip over and capsize.

Is that for REAL? He said he worried the ISLAND would tip over and capsize??? I mean, someone didn't make this up for April 1st??? *cough server-move cough* WOW. This...I don't know, it's just too hilariously weird.

Originally Posted By: Triumph
Originally Posted By: Taslim
At least the forums aren't going to tip over and capsize.

Is that for REAL? He said he worried the ISLAND would tip over and capsize??? I mean, someone didn't make this up for April 1st??? *cough server-move cough* WOW. This...I don't know, it's just too hilariously weird.

This kind of thought is not actually uncommon at all... I recall in the past seeing those surveys that ask basic science questions being given to random people, and this was one of the things an alarming number of people thought was true. I don't recall the exact percentage offhand, but bigger than 1/4 or 1/3 or something.

An alarming number of people also think the Sun moves around the Earth, the Sun us small, and the stars are near the sun.

Every few years you hear about this in the news, actually, as the media rediscovers this via some university's press release that mentions it.

Admittedly, these things aren't necessarily totally obvious, and I remember as a very young kid wondering about all of them, and they were never things discussed in any class or in any of our terrible textbooks. But still, I figured them all out!

LIES!

Distance from Sun to nearest star, d0 ~ 4 ly

Distance from earth to sun, a ~ 1.6x10^-5 ly

Distance from galaxy to andromeda, x ~ 2.5x10^6 ly

d0 = 2.5x10^5 a

x = 6.3x10^5 d0

So the nearest star is 10^5 "natural solar system units" away, and the nearest galaxy is 10^5 "natural galaxy distance units" away! wink

Originally Posted By: cfgauss

Distance from Sun to nearest star, d0 ~ 4 ly
Distance from earth to sun, a ~ 1.6x10^-5 ly
Distance from galaxy to andromeda, x ~ 2.5x10^6 ly

d0 = 2.5x10^5 a
x = 6.3x10^5 d0

So the nearest star is 10^5 "natural solar system units" away, and the nearest galaxy is 10^5 "natural galaxy distance units" away! wink

That's true, but the alarming thing is that the diameter of the Milky Way is about 100000 LY. This is a much more natural galaxy unit than the few light years between stars; that's like calling ten microns a natural human scale because it's the size of a human cell. So space is actually fairly cosy and neighborly on the galactic scale, with galaxies only a few tens or at most hundred of galaxy-widths apart. What's alarming is the awful vastness between stars, and the enormous distances for which those sparsely scattered stars keep going on, and on, and on, before anything really new happens. The factor of a hundred thousand in scale, between the interstellar and the galactic, has been compared to the similar scale factor between the nuclear and the atomic, as one of the two big jumps in size in the universe over which nothing very important seems to happen.

For an astronomy course I once put it this way. If you consider the sun, to scale, as being the smallest dot you can make with your pen, then you can put that in the corner of a normal piece of paper, and spread the solar system across the rest of the page (with the planets as barely visible pinpricks). If you include the comets and stuff, way out there, then the solar system fits comfortably on a desktop, all controlled by that tiny solar dot in the middle.

Then the nearest other star system is another dot (in fact, three dots close together, for the particular nearest neighbor to our sun), perhaps with page and desktop, something like three miles away. And the galaxy consists of more of these dots and desktop solar systems, every few miles.

So far this is fine; I think I can picture this. It's alarmingly sparse, to think of those few dots and pinpricks miles apart with nothing in between; but I really think I can hold that in my mind. The problem is this: at this scale, the galaxy extends for sixty thousand miles. And I can't possibly picture that, not while keeping track of the mile-wide gaps between the star dots, let alone of the dots themselves.

That's the galactic scale gap, the factor of 100,000 over which nothing much happens except more of the same, and it defies imagination.

As to the sun going around the Earth: of course it does, relative to the Earth. The real breakthrough of Copernicus, with modern hindsight, was not that he finally got it right where Ptolemy was wrong, but simply that he introduced another reference frame, instead of leaving us stuck with the same geocentric one. For describing how the heavens look from Earth the heliocentric frame is not convenient even today, but for figuring out exactly how the planets move, it's much easier — as Kepler found.

I was surprised to realize, after many years in physics, how right the old Ptolemaic theory really was. Since the geocentric perspective was not actually an error at all, the only thing wrong with Ptolemy was that it made the planetary orbits perfectly circular, when in fact they are all slightly elliptical (and very slightly more complicated even than that, because of their gravitational influences on each other). The infamous epicycles were actually very simple: one epicycle, and one deferent, per planet. And with a bit of geometry one can see that this is exactly correct, or would be if the orbits were really circular.

Copernicus's error was also one of forcing orbits into circles, and while he was able to dispose of deferents and equants, his system required even more epicycles than Ptolemy. He wasn't actually more accurate, he was just closer to describing the actual motion of planets.

—Alorael, who assumes that vast cosmic distances are convenient places for dark matter and energy to hide from scientists.

Yeah, thinking about all of those scales certainly is odd, which is why I used only the nearest-neighbor scales in my post wink. But you missed a whole half of the size spectrum! The barely-microscopic, microscopic, molecular, atomic, sub-atomic, and string scales! Those are the really fun, and just as hard to imagine, scales!

Although calling the epicycles a model, in a modern sense, is a bit of a stretch. It's really more of a very careful observation than a model, since there was no theoretical backing behind it, and strictly speaking, since the orbits of everything is periodic, it wasn't really predictive either.

The biggest benefit of the sun-centered system was that it allowed the Newtonian description to come around and easily provide both a theoretical description and to genuinely predict new things--like the existence of new plants through their gravitational effects! That's the real reason this viewpoint is "correct."

If Ptolemy could've predicted the existence of Neptune by looking at Uranus's epicycles.... well, I'd be impressed!

And dark energy hides everywhere.