A6 - Scourge disappointing

Ociporus

I found that taking on the triad of the scourge for Melanchion was very disappointing. They were very passive and it was so simple. And no one rushed in to rescue them. For being a part of the climax of the whole story, it was way too easy. Maybe my amazingly-outfitted clan could endure lots of pain and suffering, but I didn't even require an invulnerability shot for any of them.

A few of the last quests have been similarly disappointing because of the ease with which they are done.

Well, I got the impression they were the spiritual leaders of the horde, not fighters. The slith triad were the real warriors of their race. In the end, you were left with a few old priests to kill. It would be like defeating a Roman legion and their centurions and then in the end the final boss is the Pope and his conclave. They probably would not be that challenging.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
What difficulty are you on? You may simply want to raise this. Perhaps your skill improved over the course of the game.

I'm on torment. The Scourge leaders had next to no support; in fact, none unless you count those creaky sentinels that were trying to reach some gongs to give them a swat. They were so easy to disable that it took no effort to wipe out the leader.
I would have expected a bunch of sliths / monsters to come racing in when you are trying to wipe their leaders out. Considering the experience of trying to deal with the endless numbers of sliths pouring across the bridge south of Formello, the Scourge was easy to eliminate.
I've "won" all the SpiderWeb EXILE and AVERNUM games, so I'm a bit experienced, though not nearly so much as Slarty, Randomizer, and the like.

Of course, my crew is extremely well protected in armor and have the top-grade weapons, so they endure tremendous damage. Divine Restoration also takes the sting out of whatever the enemy can do.

Originally Posted By: Monroe
Well, I got the impression they were the spiritual leaders of the horde, not fighters....It would be like defeating a Roman legion and their centurions and then in the end the final boss is the Pope and his conclave. They probably would not be that challenging.

I like that analogy. But did you ever try to check out all of Formello after completing the quest to take out the last of the triad? I went back in, got some good treasures, but absolutely had to forget about exploring the entire city. The western part had an endless supply of irritating Sliths. So they are prepared to flow endlessly on to save that city, but not to help out their scourge leaders. Part of me appreciates the simple, easy nature of finishing that off, part of me feels a bit let down that it was quite so easy.

Originally Posted By: Master Ackrovan
I don't think that would have worked out. Endlessly charging in Sliths would make it very difficult to escape the cave. I think there should have just been a dozen weak scourges with strong guards. That would have been more realistic to me then essentially 3 more triad-ies.

Sorry you misunderstood what I said. I was not suggesting that an endless charge of sliths would have been good for protecting the scourge. I merely noted that there IS an endless charge in a supposedly less vital area (around Formello) and with the scourge, there is no one around protecting them.
It is way too easy to waltz in and do the scourge in, after all that buildup in the plot about how tough it would be. The group of Vahnatai that, surprisingly, were in the vicinity were more of a challenge than the scourge itself.