Pants

Prince of Kitties

A rather odd question: is there anything special about the "pants" item slot? I recall that, in (IIRC) Exile 2, it was said that walking around without pants could have bad consequences. I've personally never seen it in any BoE scenario, but I was wondering if there's code anywhere that checks (or could check) whether a party member is wearing pants?

I think it was just a joke, meaning "bad (social) consequences". Pants are basically just another equipment slot for potential armor bonuses or enchantment, although it seems useful pants are significantly less common in Exile games than other equipment types. I know Pants of Protection are available in VoDT, and I believe other scenarios as well.

Also, pants can be assigned Special Item Type flags (I think that's what they're called, it's been a while) so it's possible to check if a party member is wearing pants, but only if those pants were not brought in from another scenario. I don't know if it's ever happened though. The only pants check that I know of is the one in E3, where you place pants on a certain tile in the last dungeon to unlock a hidden town and a hidden dungeon.

Originally Posted By: Neptúnus Hirt
Playing Exile III as a child, I would always make sure my party members all had pants on before braving the surface world.

I was kind of disappointed when I later realized I wouldn't get run out of town if I took them off.

Only in the surface world? What did you think was going on in the underworld? Were they all banished for streaking?

Originally Posted By: cfgauss
Only in the surface world? What did you think was going on in the underworld? Were they all banished for streaking?

Well, seeing as my characters started without pants (if I remember this correctly, it's been a while), I just thought that the Exile community was okay with general pantslessness.

I had some funny ideas as a kid.

The real answer is that pants did not exist in Exile 1 and 2. It was just assumed that you wore pants, and other items of clothing. I'm not sure why Jeff changed this in Exile 3. However, since that part of the character creation code did not change, nobody starts with pants.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
The real answer is that pants did not exist in Exile 1 and 2. It was just assumed that you wore pants, and other items of clothing. I'm not sure why Jeff changed this in Exile 3. However, since that part of the character creation code did not change, nobody starts with pants.

Perhaps this part of the character creation code could be changed!

/is not entirely serious...

The slith and nephil graphics don't look like they are wearing anything (except the archer, who has a quiver strapped to his/her back), so pantlessness makes sense, though so does equipmentlessness in general (my custom PC graphics have armoured/clothed nephils, though).

Actually...the problem with nakedness is that your primary (and sometimes some of your secondary) sexual characteristics are being displayed...how obvious is this on sliths/nephils et al? Is there an easy way to tell the gender of a slith or nephil (without asking, I mean)?

I'd say, that the only way to make any difference between a male and a female humanoid, is to look at the creature's physical appearance. If it is small and hasn't large muscles, then it must a female.

For example, in the Avernum -series(* the Nephil with a silvery or white fur and blue eyes seems to be a female Nephil. That's what I think, anyway. Just compare her to the other Nephils, and you see that they're far more muscular. The same goes for Sliths. There might be a slight difference of tone in the voice, as well, just as we humans have. Moreover, there might be a tiny scent, though we humans cannot detect it.

*) not the first Avernum game, though. Nephils not allowed in the party.

Originally Posted By: TwilightUnicorn
I'd say, that the only way to make any difference between a male and a female humanoid, is to look at the creature's physical appearance. If it is small and hasn't large muscles, then it must a female.

Well...that's assuming there is sexual dimorphism in the various other humanoids, and that it follows the same pattern as in humans. For various types of reptiles, for example, the female is the larger...that could be interesting if sliths worked that way, it would change the gender dynamic. In the games, however, there doesn't seem to be a gender dynamic, gender seems to be an almost total irrelevance for most NPCs, and is totally irrelevant for PCs.

Secondly, even if the males tended to be larger than the females, there'd still be alot of overlap, with individuals being comparatively weak or strong due to genetics, diet, lifestyle and so on.

Actually, now that I think of it, in the 3rd Exile game, the statuette you recover from the Vahnatai looks like it might depict a female, but you aren't sure. Possibly that's just due to the art, but maybe it's difficult for humans to tell.

On the other hand, I can't exactly think of a legitimate reason why a member of one species would be all that concerned with the gender of another...unless, say, they were a slave owner looking to breed more slaves.