A6 - Eek! An (unstable) rat!

I'm down in this mine, near patrick's tower, and I come upon a hive of rats. I killed the rat queen, but 3 unstable rats managed to hatch. How do I subdue these creatures without a total party kill?

I was looking at the damage they were causing in their death-splosion, and it wasn't that high, but they all went off in a chain reaction... Any tips?

• 2 months later...

Just wait until you come across the Curse Carrying Rats, I think is what they were called, east of Fort Duvno. Accidentally killed 'em all at once and suddenly I'm surrounded by Unstable Rats and unable to move away anywhere... that was ugly. I've had some of the ugliest deaths on this game.. even more so than any of the past ones.

At least the unstable firebats were possible to knock out in 1-2 turns if you played your cards right, allowing you to take out the pack before they closed on you. The unstable rats near Patrick's tower are another story. Summons wouldn't last long enough against them either. I had to resort to letting one of my party members take the hits and then dragging him back to the nearest city gates.