A6 - Killing Melanchion?

Acky

Is it possible to kill this creature? It's health point or it's attack isn't the problem; it's the huge curtain flame attack that it delivers. My Invulnerability potions/elixirs way off extremely quickly, and I can't even survive a single attack. Any tips from players who've already beaten this creature?

You need enough invulnerability potions that your entire party can stay invulnerable for the entire fight. Even then, it does enough damage through your invulnerability that you'll want high fire resistance and HP in order to survive. There's really no easy way around it.

One thing that can help is casting Slow on him; for some reason, he's only level 2, so he'll very often lose a turn if he's slowed.

This isn't exactly a tip, just a confirmation that it's technically possible to kill Melanchion. I did it by cheating, using an edited character with all stats maxed, after I got frustrated near the end of my torment singleton game and decided to finish with a god rather than just quit. So yes, when you're a god with level in the high fifties, all the best gear, and a dozen or so invulnerability elixirs, then you can beat Melanchion even as a singleton on Torment. It's not even particularly hard, except compared to everything else in the game.

How it can be done with an honest party, I have no idea.

It is very difficult. I did this recently, and this is what happened. I had my three character line up next to the dragon, and spread my skribbane and invulnerability potions and elixers throughout my party. Then, I had each character drink one of the elixers, and then a skribbane. Then I began combat and attacked. My warrior attacked, and then my mage and priest both used adrenaline rush and used their turns buffing (the mage also slowed the dragon here). Then, the followers ran up and attacked the dragon. Then the dragon used his super attack and killed all of the followers and got everyone in my party to half health. (By the way, when the dragon starts fighting, try to make sure that he stays inside the room) My fighter kept on hammering down the dragon while my priest healed and used smite. I actually lost my mage early on because I forgot to use another potion, and she had the death curse. After a while, I finally managed to kill the dragon. It was quite tough, and I used a lot of supplies, so I recomend that anyone who tries this fight not be stingy with whatever scrolls/potions/wands they have left. Even though it was at the end of the game, I was a little dissapointed that the Dragon didn't drop anything. (And also, I will say that I personally think that the ending is better if the dragon lives, but that is my opinion.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Wait, Slow's chance of removing a turn depends on enemy LEVEL?

Yes. I've posted about this before. It's very obvious on low-level enemies like the exploding shrubs in the basement of that one farmer in Mertis: they'll almost always lose their turn if you slow them. It's also why Slow generally gets steadily less effective throughout the game.

Melanchion can also be defeated in a long and tough fight, at least this works on Normal difficulty. Because he corners himself, for some reason, and can be slowly taking down by arrows and magic, as long as you can defend yourself against the demons that'll keep coming, you should do just fine.

Doing it this way, you only have to use invulnerability potions on one character at a time, as long as you always attack in the same order. Melanchion will only Death Curse the last attacker.

Originally Posted By: Demseinwetter

Doing it this way, you only have to use invulnerability potions on one character at a time, as long as you always attack in the same order. Melanchion will only Death Curse the last attacker.
But there is also the fact that every turn he blasts everyone in the room with a super powerful fire attack that kills me in one hit...

You can keep your range shooters/spellcasters just out of range of his curtain attack and still be able to attack him. As long as there's a character beating up the lizard up front, he won't attack. Your other characters can keep the rear guarded this way. It also helps to make summons to counter the incoming demons.

Wow that's one tough fight! So far I've only managed to get him down to about 3/4 health before before he blasts my guys to pieces or the demons come get me (normal difficulty). I'll have to try keeping my spellcasters out of his AOE radius next time, but I was able to get Melanchion to miss a few turns using slow. Its really funny how he incinerates his followers in the first turn though.. I was worried that I'd have to fight them too.

BTW is Melanchion any easier in A5? I never tried to take him on then, but you'd think he might be a little weaker since he's supposed to be younger during that game.

• 2 years later...

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread, because I'm incredibly proud of myself. Not only did I recently beat Avernum 6 on Torment difficulty, I dropped Melanchion like a bag of dirt.

My party consisted of two mages and two priests, so they were outside the range of his aura attack. My clerics did by far the most damage with smite (approximately 170 damage per pop after casting war blessing and cloak of the Arcane). My two mages were able to do about 100 damage with acid spray.

You need to hit Melanchion hard, so that you take him down quickly, but not for the reasons you might think. Melanchion by himself is a pushover, but his dracionian summons will destroy you in a few rounds. There is no effective defense against their terrify spells, and once your PCs are running all over the place, you lose group cohesion and run right into Melanchion's aura of flames attack.

Fortunately I had a few tricks up my sleeve. I abused the hell out of curing elixirs, which allowed me to use adrenaline rush to strip away 6000 hitpoints in one round. The dracionian summons actually wiped out three of my PCs, but I managed to navigate my remaining cleric to a stairway, duck down, and resurrect. I repeated this process twice, and whittled Melanchion down to 2000 hp. For the final push, I juiced everyone up on invulnerability potions, charmed Goro and some nearby soldiers, and unleashed everything I had left. Melanchion might be tough, but he's not invulnerable.

Honestly, I can't see myself beating Melanchion if I had one or two melee characters in my party. A party composition of 2 mage/2 priest (or even 3 priests/1 mage) is best. Priests are easily the best build in Avernum 6, with mages coming a close second. Archers are a distant third, and melee warriors are useless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was looking for some challenge and decided to beat the dragon without any potions/scrolls/cheating on torment.

So I used a lot of wisdom crystals and brews to bring endurance of main character very high. He got 879 health and 90% in all resistances with ward of elements active. He was mediocre warrior but good in taking damage. Death curse was inflicting 700-800 damage to him plus over 3000 resisted. So he was able survive it but I had to draw attention of demonic summons to other characters at the turn when death curse was about to release it's damage. Another problem could be that party members were terrified often by demons. But actually there was no problem. On purpose, my priest had highest agility in party (has 10 points quick action though he never attack with melee), thus he was acting first at the beginning of each turn and curing all terrified characters. Slowly, but eventually the dragon falls.

Not used any potion in fight with Gladwell as well. His spell power is increased if he hits same character few times in row, but as soon as you miss turn for that character and he attacks another party member then spell power is reset to original low value. Fight with him becomes trivial after you figure this.