A6 causing shutdown

Dantius

I've ran into a pretty serious problem with Avernum 6. The game will, on occasion, shut down my computer. After I boot it up and load my game, I will be able to play for oh, maybe anywhere from 2-5 minutes, until for no reason whatsoever, my computer will instantly shut down, almost as if I had unplugged it. This gets very frustrating, especially since I only began to experience it when I hit the Honeycomb, and I've basically given up now that it's so frustrating to play. I can power my computer up again, and even restart the game, but then I'll run into the exact same problem. I've found that if I switch out of A6 back to my desktop, this seems to buy me a bit of time, but it's really pointless, since if I don't do this every minute, the computer still shuts down. Help!

Specifics: HP Pavilion Slimline s3100n PC, running Window Vista. A6 version 1.0, registered copy.

Err, this doesn't have anything to do with running as administrator... it sounds like some kind of hardware problem or possibly driver problem...

Usually this is what happens when your CPU shuts down due to overheating. Do you play other CPU intensive games for long periods of time? It could also be due to overclocking or misconfigured memory timings or a couple other things.

Alternatively this could be a video driver problem? Maybe try uninstalling your current video drivers and reinstalling?

It's possible avernum's engine could be doing something totally insane that causes this to happen, but without looking at some kind of log or debugging information that would be hard to figure out.

Yeah, it sounds like either overheating or battery failure, but since you have a desktop we can rule out the latter.

We know the Avernum 6 puts a LOT of demand on your processor, more than most of us seem to expect. Do you run any other programs with comparable processor demand?