I need to feed. Suggestions?

Angry Ogre

Ill cut to the point.

I need more games to play. Played the first three Avernums, and a couple of the Geneforges and loved them to bits, but now I need something new.

To give you an idea of what I’m after, I’m a huge fan of Black Isle's games (and what Troika managed to smuggle out in its few years) and I had some fun with Dragon Age (even if it stretched my PC to the limit). Oblivion is good but only because it charmed me with its pretty graphics and huge world, what I’m really after is something immersive with a substantial and decent plot.

Any suggestions welcome.

How about the NEXT three avernums? eh? eh?

I kid, you obviously know about those already.

sooo...

Yes KotOR is a wonderful game full of greatness, if you haven't played it you are denying yourself happiness, you don't really want that do you?

Neverwinter Nights 2 is pretty good, (and the expansion, mask of the betrayer, is great, not so fond of storm of zehir.)

Arx Fatalis is alright if you like dungeon crawling, it has a sort of Ultima Underworld feel.

And you should play X-Com, it isn't an RPG, it's a strategy game, but everyone should play X-Com.

I could probably think of a few others, but i've got Avernum 6 on the backburner here, so i'ma go play that instead.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
@Angry Ogre: Among others, I highly recommend Brett Bixler's "Spheres" trilogy.

If I had to vote on the best scenario designer, I would vote for Alcritas.
I have to take your word on that. It's been quite a while since I seriously played BoE, and that's all that came to mind at that particular moment, since the trilogy was among my favorites.

I thought Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 were awesome. And playing ME2 right after ME1 was really great, because there are tons of little details about the specific choices you made in the first one. ME2 is the best though, because of all the background details they added. Some of the conversations you overhear are hilarious.

If you have Dungeon Siege, you have Ultima 5: Lazarus. That's a good thing.

—Alorael, who actually recommends giving the Ultima series in general a try. It's all very dated in appearance and engine, but if you can look beyond graphics that make Avernum look good for the early games there's a lot to enjoy.

Wow loads of suggestions here. Let’s see...

KOTOR I think I might have tried. It was either KOTOR or KOTOR 2 that was unplayable due to bugs but I’ll give it another go. I’ve completed both Dungeon Siege games, even though they weren’t all that great. Kinda lacking in the brains department, but they were pretty fun.

Neverwinter Nights is lying around somewhere, I think I got annoyed at some particularly difficult battle and relegated to the 'I'll finish that later...' stack. Neverwinter Nights 2 had a really crazy camera system if I remember right.

I played some Mass Effect, but it was stretching the specs on my PC so I thought I’d better leave it till I get a machine that could do it justice.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys. I’ll go check (or recheck) some of these out. Oh and I’m also on the lookout for strategy games. I’m into most or Paradox Interactive stuff if that name means anything to you.

On the topic of Fallout, I just couldn't get into 2. And this was after playing all the way through 1, tapdancing around a few bugs (with the aid of a walkthrough), and thoroughly enjoying the experience. So I load up Fallout 2, and start setting up a character similar to the Vault Dweller I had just played, a pistol-sniping perception-heavy kinda outdoorsman.

...and then the game gives me a spear, and says go. I have a strength of 5, and the less said about my melee prowess the better. Seriously?

Like, I understand that the new backstory for the second game necessitates some changes, but I mean... come on! Making half of the normally-viable characters nigh-unplayable for the first 90 minutes of the game is not an acceptable course of action, in my opinion. Give me a sling or something, just don't screw me over like that.

Fallout 2 is a must in my opinion. Use the restoration mod that RCCCL mentioned, grit your teeth, and clear the first Temple of Trials section. You can get yourself a gun in the second town in the game, and the game is definitely worth the hassle of spearing an ant or two.

Warcraft 3 was a classic, Blizzard do a great job in differentiatin the gameplay for different factions. It was one of the best RTS games around, but Company of Heroes might have trumped them.

I think I’ve tried the Heroes of Might and Magic series but I’ll give the RPG's a look. Oh, and I’ve tried X-com for the first time. It’s amazing that a game from 1994 can still impress on so many levels.

I knew I could trust you Spiderwebbers to big me up some gems. Keep 'em coming.

x-com is one of my favourite games. be sure to try the open source remake ufoai

http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/

after getting over the initial disorientation of the 3d view, really really quite good. whenever i play it i always think, if only geneforge was 3d!

if you are brave you can compile the latest development version, as the main version is 2 years out of date now. it isn't too hard.

has anyone said morrowind yet?

p.s. morrowind is loads better than oblivion

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Making half of the normally-viable characters nigh-unplayable for the first 90 minutes of the game is not an acceptable course of action, in my opinion. Give me a sling or something, just don't screw me over like that.
It does not take an hour and a half to get your first gun in Fallout 2. The Temple in the beginning takes ten, fifteen minutes tops, and you can buy a gun in the first town you travel to after that. The ants in the Temple are not that tough, and there are actually multiple ways to get through the Temple that don't involve fighting as much.

I don't mean to rag on you, I just think it would be terribly tragic if you missed out on the rest of that awesome game, especially if you liked the first. In the first town you visit, in the house of the guy your supposed to meet, you can just steal his BB gun, he won't mind. Though you'll probably want to barter that to the bartender for a real 9mm, and then take any left over cash to the bathhouse when you've finally got your gun. The ladies love a guy that's strapped. Man, that game was so great.

See, I didn't want to extend my Fallout 2 rant, but okay.

Getting healing items in the early game is good. Getting healing items that kill your Perception in the early game is less good. It also does not help that I am fantastically unlucky... I'll miss 80% shots about half the time, and don't talk to me about the awful hit chances I had with that spear. And yes, the ants/scorpions weren't that tough, but they could still kill me without extreme vigilance. There was a lot of running involved.

...and yes, you can get your first gun in that first town without much trouble. I recall it was a pipe rifle, and it was terrible. Sure, one shot then reload. That works great. Absolutely wonderful. Oh, and it's inaccurate, too? Awesome. But even once you get guns, you can't find enough ammo to do much of anything. It's only because I managed to pump some skill into melee that I was able to clear out the most basic of quests.

There's also a bit of a 1 solution per problem thing going on... let's take the cave full of mutant geckos with the radioactive floor. The only way to get past that floor without getting radiated is with rubber boots. There are two rubber boots in the game, and I, having written them off as worthless, left them... somewhere. And then that whole area's in the dark anyway, so forget any hope of an accurate shot.

And the random encounters... good lord. You can't spit without hitting a group of thugs, all of whom are built like tanks and certainly aren't going to be bothered by plinks from a pipe rifle.

...one more example. There's a quest to defend a herd of Brahmin from a pack of wild dogs. Okay, fine, sign me up. Wait, they attack at night? Damn, there goes my aim. And there's fifteen of them? Awesome. The only way I was able to complete this quest was by having the NPC with the sledgehammer with me, and just running my full movement away from the dogs each round, positioning them so that the NPC could smash 'em. That alone took half an hour, and it was not fun. And there was no other way I could complete that quest (unless I am stupid, which I admit is entirely possible).

So yeah. I gave up on that game. Constantly low on ammo, and constantly being shown up by my NPC.

For fallout 2- The beginning sucks. No doubt about that. All your skills suck beyond belief for a long time (especially if you play on higher levels), and just about all the weapons and armour and healing in the begining also suck. But, if you stick through that, it gets much better. For me, that is around after I help Gecko and return to Vault city. Then, I get my first, actually slightly good weapon, and I start traveling around. I agree that, especially around the beggining, the encounters are way too tough, but they do depend on your level and how many partners you have.

If you put most of the skill points you get per level in one area, then pretty quickly you can have a fairly effective skill. By the time I leave arroyo, I always have 100 steal skill. So if you put most points into small guns skill early on, you can usually hit things at a fairly decent rate. Of course, you don't get a decent gun for a long time. Around the beggining, I had spiked knuckles, and I missed about half the time. But once I finish the NCR and use super stims to get my first gauss rifle, then things really begin to get fun. I travel around (this may take a long time, or you may not ever even see this, depending on your luck skill) and find the mountain encounter where there are some super strong bandits hiding in a cave. The battle is quite tough, and the first time I did it I had to reload several times, but killing them gives a great reward. You can get a very good energy weapon and plenty of ammo for it. That gun lasted me up until the end boss fight.

Early in the game, ammo is quite scarce, but merchants and encounters can give more than enough ammo (of most kinds) for you entire party and all their guns.

Of course, none of this is counting the actual plot and story, which I think is great.

Originally Posted By: Other
For fallout 2- The beginning sucks. No doubt about that. All your skills suck beyond belief for a long time (especially if you play on higher levels), and just about all the weapons and armour and healing in the begining also suck. But, if you stick through that, it gets much better. For me, that is around after I help Gecko and return to Vault city. Then, I get my first, actually slightly good weapon, and I start traveling around. I agree that, especially around the beggining, the encounters are way too tough, but they do depend on your level and how many partners you have.

You can get good weapons early on if you realize you can kill the merchants and take their stuff instead of buying it laugh.

Hmm I'm gonna have to play that again if people keep talking about it... I have too much stuff to do! Talk about some less good games!

Though the earlier merchants don't have the best things... Except with superstims and dynamite/plastic explosives, it is difficult to kill merchants without anyone caring. Also, I found that stealing their stuff that they let me steal and letting them restock seems more worthwhile in my opinion. Before vault city, the only weapons I got and was worth using while doing (relatively) decent damage was the combat knife/spiked knuckles (the shotgun that I got was for my pc). And then, my melee and unarmed skill both sucked. The few guns I got were all horrible damage doers, and also quite good at wasting ammo. However, I was able to get another shotgun and a hunting rifle soon after entering vault city.

Also, there are challenges in the game you could set on yourself: All combat, all unarmed, evil, stupid, speed finishing the game, ect. The fated time I managed to finish the game in was a little over 43 min.

Originally Posted By: Other
Also, I found that stealing their stuff that they let me steal and letting them restock seems more worthwhile in my opinion.

That's true, but not as much fun as killing the occasional merchant.

Quote:

The few guns I got were all horrible damage doers, and also quite good at wasting ammo. However, I was able to get another shotgun and a hunting rifle soon after entering vault city.

Hmm, I don't recall this, but it's been a while since I've played it and I may've been more patient then. All I remember is the crotch shots and randomly exploding people, actually...

Originally Posted By: cfgauss

That's true, but not as much fun as killing the occasional merchant.

Maybe you are talking about the traveling merchants. For those, I search their inventories with steal, and if one of them has something I would like, I kill the whole group.

Quote:

Hmm, I don't recall this, but it's been a while since I've played it and I may've been more patient then. All I remember is the crotch shots and randomly exploding people, actually...
That happens once you start to get better guns, usually. Ever tried the alien blaster? laugh

Interestingly enough, I've recently started playing through Fallout 2 again, before this thread even came up. As for the early game, it's possible to get a Magnum .45 or even the Magnum pistol in the den. Both(especially the Magnum Pistol) are fair guns. The merchant you can get them off of restocks every few days, a trick to get some ammo from merchants, click and hold on a gun in their inventory, the little menu will drop down and you can unload the weapon, adding the ammo to his inventory. Making it available for trade.