How to play BoE?

Øther

I feel kinda silly asking this...

Is it possible to play BoE?

I downloaded the open source code, and it seems like I may enjoy playing it, but I can't find an application to play it with. How do I do it? I have tried looking around the forums, but I can't find anything. If it is possible to play this game, I would like to know how.

EDIT: Doh! I feel like an idiot. I completely skipped over the blades of Exile download option. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to play it once I actually download it.

I have a different question about "how to play," that I'll just poke into this topic: is it possible to use the arrow keys? I have a Macbook, and I downloaded the open-source version of BoE, and it works okay...except that it ignore the arrow keys completely. I can only move using the mouse. Is there something I can do about that?

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
On my PC, playing the Windows version of BoE, the arrow keys give movement in the four basic directions.
You can also use the numpad; just make sure to turn the Num Lock on/off (I forget which). 2,4,6, and 8 give the four basic directions, while 1,3,7, and 9 allow you to move diagonally.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
On my PC, playing the Windows version of BoE, the arrow keys give movement in the four basic directions.
You can also use the numpad; just make sure to turn the Num Lock on/off (I forget which). 2,4,6, and 8 give the four basic directions, while 1,3,7, and 9 allow you to move diagonally.

But, as I already mentioned, I have a Macbook, so none of those things help, unfortunately. Ah well. I'll survive without BoE. Still, it's awfully weird why the arrow wouldn't work.

As previously mentioned, navigation is with the numeric keypad, not the arrow keys. I suppose that should probably be changed sometime, though, to support Macbook players... in which case I'd probably use the following mapping:

Code:
 Left -> West   Up -> North Down -> SouthRight -> East Home -> Northwest [Home is Fn-Left]  End -> Southwest [End is Fn-Right] PgUp -> Northeast [Page Up is Fn-Up] PgDn -> Southeast [Page Down is Fn-Down]

Allowing the player to select their own keys is fairly unlikely to be implemented...

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
As previously mentioned, navigation is with the numeric keypad, not the arrow keys. I suppose that should probably be changed sometime, though, to support Macbook players... in which case I'd probably use the following mapping:
[...]

This mapping has already been succesfully implemented in the Windows code, with the nice side effect that numeric keypad movement works whatever the num_lock position (even diagonal) ... So, i'd say using this mapping is a good idea wink
(on the other hand, i wasn't aware that the Mac version didn't use arrows movement confused )

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Allowing the player to select their own keys is fairly unlikely to be implemented...

Seconded.

Chokboyz

The standard vanilla MacBook that I am using right now has a virtual numeric keypad accessible with the function key. If the newest generation doesn't have it, that would be a surprise to me. I don't like it because the keys are not in perfect vertical alignment, but it is there.