Vahnatai Lexicon

Cairo Jim

• 4 weeks later...

I think the only addition is some conjecture on sentence building, as well as a sample sentence. The other stuff is all Drakey's (though I think he worked with another Blades designer whose name I forgot; this may date back to the 90's).

Assuming you believe in it (the vocabulary is, after all, fan-lore), it's useful for analyzing certain Vahnatai names from the series. Which served as the basis for the conjecture though, so it's not particularly informative. You will find that "Glantris" does not mean "Fountain of Sapphires" because tris means sapphire and glan means fountain, but that glan means fountain and tris sapphire because "Glantris" was chosen to translate to "Fountain of Sapphires". :p

As far as making up Vahnatai speech (whole sentences) for a scenario, you'll find you're mostly on your own. Rather than rely on the players' ability to translate, it is advisable to indicate what you meant to say. It just wouldn't do for a player to have to look up "s'daah mat sis'pil'ghel" and conclude that their Vahnatai companion called their mother a big hippo. :p

Quote:
Originally written by Henry Anthony Wilcox:
I think the only addition is some conjecture on sentence building, as well as a sample sentence. The other stuff is all Drakey's (though I think he worked with another Blades designer whose name I forgot; this may date back to the 90's).
Akhronath. I'm pretty sure Akh was responsible for a substantial part if not a majority of the lexicon.

Akhronath also came up with a magic language he called Soruharva, incidentally. I have always figured he had a greater vocabulary for it than the bit he published on his site, because he translated Tolkien's "Ai laurie lantar lassi surinen" poem into the language and many of the words used aren't listed. Meant to mail him some time, but never really got around to it. Anyway...