Loving GF 1-3 .... where next?

dugatom

I've followed Jeff's games closely for a couple of years, but somehow only got round to start playing them last month, when I bought the truly wonderful Geneforge 1-3 trilogy (currently hurtling towards the end of 1). Absolutely loving them so far!

However, now I find myself at a quandary. I'm quite excited about the idea of mixing up Geneforge games and Avernum games (going G1-A1-G2-A2 perhaps), but I've got some real concerns. My problem is the exact opposite of most, it seems: it's not that I find A1-A3 particularly ugly, rather, I find G4-G5 and A4-A6 particularly beautiful! The tile-sets, the crisp, clear interface and sprites - it's my perfect balance of good backgrounds but enough left to the imagination. Having played the demo of A4, I can't wait to reach the modern look. This also means I'm incredibly excited about A1-A3 being remade in the new engine!

So Jeff is going to go back and make A1 look as gorgeous as A6, maybe I should complete Geneforge 4-5 first, but I am very attracted to not over-Geneforging. Or maybe do A4-A6 first - but then would I spoil the plot for myself? Or maybe I should put quality over prettiness and play A1-A3, but the new engine is such a big draw. Then again, these games are huge, and completing G1-G3 may take me the best part of this calendar year anyway....

This is the other factor to consider - I have limited play-time, maybe 5hrs a week maximum, so the chances of me finishing huge amounts of Spiderweb games is probably limited. However.... arrgh!

I know you guys have to answer the 'where to start' question all the time, but for me the question is where to go next. I don't mind starting in the middle of Avernum as long as the beginning won't be spoiled when it comes out all shiny and fancy.

By the time you get to G3, you'll probably want a break from Geneforge for a while. The original Avernum trilogy won't be remade for some time, so if you really want to find out what happens and the old engine doesn't bother you, you should start there. Newer games do give away the basic plot of older games, but the older games are still fun even if you know what happens in them.

Dikiyoba.

I'd recommend playing through A1-A3 before you do the second trilogy. You'll get used to the graphics after a while, and it will be worth it to be able to see the plot in the right order. And once you get used to the good graphics it might be a little hard to get used to the old engine. I'm not saying it would be the end of the world to play the second trilogy first, but I'd recommend you don't.

As far as Geneforge goes, you probably don't want to play through all of them in a row, so I'd recommend going in this order: G1-G2-G3-A1-A2-A3-G4-G5-A4-A5-A6.

Welcome to the forums. smile

For game quality, A1-3 and A4-6 get probably roughly even votes. If you're playing Geneforge now, you might as well finish and then enjoy the Avernums. If you want a single game interlude, Nethergate is indeed a fantastic game.

—Alorael, who recommends, as always, downloading some demos and deciding what you like. If you can't stand getting through thirty minutes of A1, don't waste your time with the first trilogy. (But you should be able to get through thirty minutes despite the graphics!)

Originally Posted By: I need no introduction
Originally Posted By: Duck in a Party Hat
Welcome to the forums. smile

check your sanity at the door tongue

You fail. It's "Welcome to the Spiderweb Software Message Boards. Please leave your sanity at the door".

And I completely forgot about Nethergate. Umm, play it after A3? There's also the Resurrection version.

Thanks for the advice guys - I am really interested in Nethergate (I almost added it to the order - there seemed to a deal with it for only $15). I think my next purchase will definetly include it!

I think I will go for Avernum 1-3 and rotate the Gs and the As, but will make the decision after G2 to see if I'm too Geneforge'd to think about it! That said, I'm worried the £ is about to crash, so I may have to move quickly!!!!

Originally Posted By: Iffy
You fail. It's "Welcome to the Spiderweb Software Message Boards. Please leave your sanity at the door".
Um, since when is there a required formalized way to greet people?

Originally Posted By: Iffy
And I completely forgot about Nethergate. Umm, play it after A3? There's also the Resurrection version.
The original version no longer runs on Macs.