Would you have stayed in the basement with Sergeant Nichol?

VCH

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Hey, you know what monsters I miss from the original trilogy? Hydras. Where did all the hydras go?
Were there ever hydras in Avernum proper? I don't remember any, but even if there were 1 or 2 isolated encounters in X2, it's probably safe to assume that they were obliterated by the chitrach infestation of A4.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Were there ever hydras in Avernum proper? I don't remember any, but even if there were 1 or 2 isolated encounters in X2, it's probably safe to assume that they were obliterated by the chitrach infestation of A4.

That seems pretty odd, since hydras and chitrachs apparently coexisted peacefully in Vahnatai lands: in E2, at least one Vahnatai town sells hydra meat.

They clearly coexisted in Vahnatai lands, but the dungeon Monroe mentioned (also what I was thinking of) suggests it wasn't too peaceful. However, in checking this I also realized that the Nephil fort in question is the one near Fort Ganrick. Avernite soldiers (aka the PCs) encounter hydras and nonchalantly call them by their names before Bon-Ihrno appears in Formello... so they can't have been totally unknown to Avernites before that. They may only have gone higher in the caves after the Resting began to end and the Vahnatai reclaimed their lands, but this does suggest at least some were in Exile proper.

I've been wondering, did Avernites invest in trying to improve the flavour of their foods on a larger scale? You'd think between A3 and A4 that they'd look into it. I remember in A1 there was one inn in the eastern gallery with tasty food but you were too scared to ask what was in it.