Would you have stayed in the basement with Sergeant Nichol?

VCH

Sergeant Nichol is that guy you meet at the beginning at A6. He brings up some really good points about building a safe haven in the food depot basement. Personally I wanted to stay with him and forget about Avernum's problems.

If it wasn't an RPG would you have stayed with him?

Given how poorly equipped your group is to start the game, and how common it is for people to be eaten in Avernum, staying seems like the smart thing to do. Plus you would have a lot of food.

One thing that I recall was critical to me, personally, desiring to leave that hole in a cave is the fact that its promises of safety were hollow. Avernum was slowly collapsing, and the food shipments from the Empire were getting slimmer. Sure, there was enough food to make staying at the Depot worth it, at the time, but how long would that stay true? Not to mention that the pressure of invasion by the Slith Horde, and the increasing chance of serious riots/banditry, made it clear that sitting around in a pit in the dark wasn't going to be the most beneficial course of action for you, or Avernum.

Honestly, I'd take hordes of angry monsters over starving civilians any day. At least I would be able to sleep at night knowing I was keeping the slith horde from killing innocent people, whereas working in the food depot I would constantly need to turn away hungry, hard-working citizens. It was only a matter of time before you'd be called upon to violently subdue a mob of half-starved families, and I'm glad I was not around when that was happening.

In fact, being more proactive is more likely to prevent that from happening at all. I mean, you live in Avernum, might as well go with an attempt at glory or quick death over a life of bureaucracy, which you could easily get in the Empire.

Edit: I wonder why this isn't in the Avernum Forum?

I agree. He is depressing. And an annoying used-to-be.

I may be wrong, but it seems to me that some people who say no might not really be putting themselves in the situation. Would you go off to war right now? Or would you prefer to stay at home? Of course, many people still sign up for the army today. Avernum has the advantage of giving you fame and fortune if you're a very successful soldier. I'm just saying that it seems that most people in this country (USA, and many others) aren't willing to go risking their lives for their country. If you are, I must say I am quite glad and impressed to hear it.

Not just depressing, he was also kind of a weasel. Always talking about the suckers who got sent to the front. Always reminding you how lucky you were that he got you the basement job, like you owed him. Seemed more like an Imperial than a true Avernite to me.

Not to sure about the analogy with America, though. I don't think I would go to war right now, I find the situation hardly dire enough. If we were beset by a Canadian horde that had already taken over Chicago and New York, then I'd give it more serious consideration. Don't think I'd sit idly by in the basement and let that happen.

My desire to face danger head-on is rather limited. I don't know how I'd end up in the army in the first place, but I suppose if I did I'd be happily on permanent storeroom duty.

That said, I'm also living a cushy, peaceful life. You are too. Who knows how we'd act under truly dire circumstances?

—Alorael, who doesn't find the argument that Avernum needs staunch front-line defenders compelling. It also needs back-line storeroom guards. There are many brave and mighty souls willing to go to battle against the sliths and other threats. There are also many timid souls who would rather cower. There may be shame in being the latter, but if you have the position and enjoy it you might as well keep it.

I Canada got angry, our standing military forces would be able to deal with it just fine, if military spending is any way to judge. Besides,

Originally Posted By: Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass.

Yay for liberal gun laws!

Remember, Nichol got the way he is because he has been on the front lines and he knows what it's like. He may not be the bravest person in the world, and he certainly didn't want to die, but when it comes down to it he'll risk his life for Avernum if that's what he's ordered to do.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Remember, Nichol got the way he is because he has been on the front lines and he knows what it's like. He may not be the bravest person in the world, and he certainly didn't want to die, but when it comes down to it he'll risk his life for Avernum if that's what he's ordered to do.

Click to reveal..
That's what he DOES! He sacrifices his life to save those near the Great Portal when the incident happens.

Originally Posted By: Other
Originally Posted By: I need no introduction

but the lizards would still get you if you stayed so there's not much point in staying.
If you think that way then you are pessimistic and paranoid. whistle
It comes down to this: Die in a cave or die in a basement. Personally, I'd go with the basement. Sacrifice Sarge and hold out as long as possible.

Originally Posted By: Rionep Ecnirp Etlevs
Could have eaten the goblins if you hadn't killed them all.

You can eat dead goblin. If you have to eat goblin, it's usually better this way. Quieter meals make for easier digestion.

You know, Avernum probably really needs a serious, gourmet restaurant. Some place that doesn't think mushroom meal is haute cuisine. A place where you can get an Omelette aux yeux de Regardeur that isn't rubbery, and with the dazing effect timed properly so it lasts just until dessert.

• 3 weeks later...

Nope. Avernum was in serious danger of being overrun and the vast majority of it's people slaughtered, but the war wasn't quite a foregone conclusion. That means the best way I could protect myself and those I cared about in the long run would be doing everything I could to avert that fate. I could do that on the front much better than in a basement.