Avernum 6 Won't Install

HerrOrcman

So I was pumped to try out the new Avernum when suddenly, the installation tells me "The system cannot open the device or file specified."

Only two options are Cancel and Retry. Retry just makes the message pop up again. So you hit cancel and it pops up with an error message saying that there was an unexpected error and that it may be a problem with the package. For reference it's giving me "error code: 2755"

I figured it was a corrupt install file, so I redownloaded it and tried again... Four times... same result every time. I'm on XP, and have never had any problems with any of Spiderweb's games before, but this one both perplexes and annoys me.

Try right clicking on the .exe file, going to properties and then clicking Compatibility mode....make it for Windows XP.

I have a vista computer as well, and I know it installed fine on my system without having to move files around. I use an admin account on my computer though. That could be another cause of your problem, are you running the file as an administrator?

I found the following solution on microsoft support page. Anyway you can give it a try.

============================================================

1. Click Start, click Run, type control admintools, and then click OK.

2. Double-click Local Security Policy.

3. Click Software Restriction Policies.

Note If no software restrictions are listed, right-click Software Restriction Policies, and then click Create New Policy.

4. Under Object Type, double-click Enforcement.

5. Click All users except local administrators, and then click OK.

6. Restart the computer.

Important: After you follow the previous steps, local administrators can install the .msi package or the .msp package. After the package is installed, reset the enforcement level by following the previous steps. In step 5, click All users instead of All users except local administrators.

============================================================

I think you're misunderstanding me. I'm on XP, not Vista. My system's new enough that it can max anything I throw at it with little difficulty (including Crysis... and everything's smooth unless the game's badly coded).

I shouldn't have any issues installing it since I'm an administrator to begin with... and it's *only* the Avernum 6 install file. I'll check and see if that little tweak fixes the problem, RPGFan.

Originally Posted By: Pyro
@Nioca yes I did read the original post and am almost sure that the last paragraph wasn't there.

There IS an edit button you know...

...Yes, that last paragraph's been there for the past two days. And yes, there is an edit button. It also leaves a nice little edited by stamp. Like so:

Thanks for the input guys, but I just got impatient and installed it on my older PC without any difficulties whatsoever (and it even runs better than Avernum 5 did!).

For the record: I tried it from every mirror. My newer PC just doesn't like it apparently.

Also, no I didn't edit the original post. I stated it was XP from the beginning. Mayhaps thou needeth spectacles? ^_^