Exile's similarities to Enchantasy: Quest for the Eternal Grimoire

Rick Abel Fan

Hello,

I am a long time fan of the Exile Trilogy. I used to play it back in the days of the AOL shareware community. I also played a game that was quite similar called Enchantasy: Quest for the Eternal Grimoire.

This game was somewhat more simplistic in nature, however had many similarities in the battle system and the interface as well. However, I noticed another similarity in one of the Exile games. It was Exile 2 I think...there was a character named "Eradan" mentioned in one of the books. What is funny, is that the same name was used for the main character in Enchantasy. Coincidence? I think not.

I have always wondered why there were these connections between the games. However, to my knowledge, the creator of Enchantasy (Rick Abel) had no connections himself with Exile. Does anyone have any insight on this?

I just did several searches of the text dumps for the entire Exile series plus Avernum 1-3. "Eradan" never shows up, and neither does anything when I do wildcard searches for "*r*d*n" and "*rr*d*n". I also checked the Exile III books (the items you can pick up and use to read) by hand and there is nothing there. Is it possible you are remembering a different game?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Another interesting development.

I was playing Exile III, and within Portal Fortress one of the books mentions a plan to assassinate Hawthorne, the brilliant and vicious ruler of the surface world.

The interesting thing, is the main villian in Enchantasy was Duke Hawthorne, residing within Hawthorne Island. Funny enough, he was in-fact the ruler of the world in Enchantasy.

It also mentions within Exile that Erika had a plan to assassinate Hawthorne. Well, in Enchantasy there was a character named Erika that you meet early on, whom is a part of the underground planning to...(I'm sure you can guess)...assassinate Duke Hawthorne.

Originally Posted By: Rick Abel Fan
You've got yourself some pretty amazing coincidences, my friend.

We know for a fact that Erika was named after a (real-life, IIRC) friend of Jeff's.

As far as battle and interface similarities go, both Exile and Enchantasy were clearly influenced by the Ultima series, especially Ultima 3. This is especially blatant if you play Enchantasy, where the whole UI is just like Ultima 3's.

Assassinating Hawthorne is one of the three game-winning quests of Exile 1, typically the last one attempted. Is killing Hawthorne also a player quest in Enchantasy? If not, I am inclined to say it's just a coincidence.

• 2 weeks later...

you know I have played a lot of demos and other rpgs like Exile over the years and I have to say as far as quality and story and bugs go Exile is one of if not the best I have ever found quality is good in you dont get to sick of the reptitive fights like a lot of rpgs do story is a masterpiece MOST story lines (not all there are some good ones) on rpgs that I have played are dry and boring and will put you to sleep if you had to read it all and even on some of the better games with big bugets I have seen bad Bugs in them and so far on E1 and E2 worst thing I have found is a few spelling problems thats is reallllly good for a game as big as Exile I have played some that like the Demo part is good but the rest is so messed up you cant play some of the places or you crash.....

and here I have made a really long and boring post off a few random thoughts sorry yall >_<