Super Bowl thread

Dantius

The commercials this year seemed to be based around males in underwear. And lots of Budwiser, although not that many Honda commercials.

Although the game was probably one of the best I have seen, and the Who's half-time performance was enjoyable, considering they are around 50 years old and still sound the same.

The ninja star dorito won. The Tebow anti-abortion one lost. Huge.

And the game was awesome. Not much of a fan of NO, and not a fan of the Colts, but the Saints played a much better game. And, it gave me pleasure to see Peyton not make one of his 4th quarter comebacks. Now, if only teams can continue to exploit his weaknesses during the next season...

Best thing about YouTube is now you can see the best commercials when you want.

As to The Who and last year's Tom Petty:

1) Having an act that old means anything that they wrote that was controversial is now a classic and tame by today's standards.

2) No surprises because they are established.

3) No wardrobe malfunctions.

Originally Posted By: Delicious Salmon
The Where Am I are still trying to remember their names.

perhaps they are related to the f'kawi tribe of west africa

they are a tribe of very short pygmies who live in very tall grass. they are known for jumping up and shouting "we're the f'kawi"

I don't care that much for football. I watched a total of maybe five minutes of the game, and only a handful of the commercials. Pardon me while I just lurk for (possibly) the rest of this thread.

Originally Posted By: No_More_PLL_Ever
Who's on first?
That's correct, and for the record, What's on second. tongue

I didn't want to watch the game this year, but that would have ostracized me further from a bunch of guys I have to live with for the next few months. At least it was a decent game and had a good Half Time performance.

EDIT: I was pretty surprised that none of them knew anything about The Who or Keith Moon.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Delicious Salmon
The Where Am I are still trying to remember their names.

perhaps they are related to the f'kawi tribe of west africa

they are a tribe of very short pygmies who live in very tall grass. they are known for jumping up and shouting "we're the f'kawi"

/facepalm.

Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
I got to see some of the game, and I swear that was the most boring game of footy ever. It was slow as, and are the helmets and shoulder pads necessary?

Even with the helmets on, concussions are common enough to be a serious issue. If you took them away, you'd literally have people dying on the field.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
It is one of the few sports where you can be genuinely unhealthy and be a pro at it. If you're over 300 lbs, you can just be the guy who sits on blockers. tongue

(To be fair, other examples are curling, relief pitching in baseball, and pretty much all of golf.)

Starting pitching, too. David Wells and C.C. Sabathia come to mind.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
It is one of the few sports where you can be genuinely unhealthy and be a pro at it. If you're over 300 lbs, you can just be the guy who sits on blockers. tongue

Heavier linemen are becoming more popular, and it's an arms race. You can't block a man who weighs a lot more than you very well, so all the linemen keep getting heavier. And it is unhealthy, even beyond what slamming your bulk into another guy's bulk for a living will do to you.

—Alorael, who will admit that he spent much of the Superbowl doing a read-through of As You Like It. On the whole it was a very nice experience, although ending with Touchstone shouting, "Touchdown!" may not be entirely period-accurate.

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
Even with the helmets on, concussions are common enough to be a serious issue. If you took them away, you'd literally have people dying on the field.

Yeah, the only reason I realized it was Super Bowl time was the upswing of football-is-too-dangerous reports in the news.

Dikiyoba didn't watch the Super Bowl or any Super Bowl commercials this year.

I choose my favorite teams based on their names, their colors, their logos, and their mascots. I like the Buccaneers and the Raiders because they're piratey, and I like the Vikings because vikings are about as close to piratey as you can be without really being piratey.

I don't really like horses. They're sort of cute sometimes, but they're far from my favorite animal, and regardless the teams with horse names don't choose their names based on the cute factor so much as the tough, fast, sometimes wild nature of them, so I don't like the Colts. On the other hand, I don't really like saints either, seeing as I generally dislike the Catholic religion. I like the Saints' colors better, plus I was aware that it was their first Super Bowl, so I cheered for them.

I would have preferred a Vikings-Jets Super Bowl though. It would have been awesome if the Jets, who the Colts basically let win, turned around and beat the Colts, but it didn't turn out that way. Also, the damned Saints almost tried to murder Brett Favre in the NFC Championship, which was awfully dirty football.