Difference between Avernum and Exile?

I was reading the topic about Fort Remote, and then the Exile army was brought up. I instantly had a "O.o" moment, and am currently very confused. I had an even GREATER "o.O" moment when I read something about the cave not caring about the spire. Someone should create a topic explaining these types of things and have it stickied laugh

The differences are very simple: the two games have the same plot with different engines. Oh, and A1 has the additional area of Lost Bahssikava, which explains the sliths a bit.

—Alorael, who really think everything else is extraneous details. Demonslayer reappears uselessly in A3. Jordan from E3 becomes Bojar in A3. And so on.

I never played past the demo of E1, so I don't know about Lost B or Fort Remote in detail. That said, I'm quite sure that Lost B has been much touted as the one big addition to Avernum that wasn't in Exile. Are you saying it was?

—Alorael, who doesn't know what other details you mean. He didn't say anything else about A1, just A3, and he's quite sure of those changes.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
I've never played Avernum 1. Those details were present in Exile 1. Are you saying they're not in A1?

Relatively sure this was a question to the OP. It makes more sense when you read it that way. Geneforgeisformeyukkyu maybe didn't get the Abyss concept so much.

The two games have basically the same maps, quests, people and everything. Lost Bahssikava is the only new area in Avernum 1. Another difference: in Exile 1 there is a temple SE of Fort Draco that is not found in Avernum 1. This temple was just a dungeon without any plot at all.

The difference between the two games is the "engine". Also Avernum 1 is a 32-bit program.

Here's a few differences I've found between E1 and A1:

• A1 has more side quests than E1.
  • In E1, you have to pay a toll every time you pass through the gate at the east end of Almaria; in A1, you don't have to pay the toll if your reputation is high enough.
  • For both games, there's a quest to recover a necklace for the mayor of Formello. In E1, you can get the quest right away; in A1, you have to complete a few side quests first to raise your reputation a little.
  • In E1, you can clear out a dungeon, go to a few towns, and return to the dungeon and clear it out again, resulting in a lot of xp; in A1, once you clear out a dungeon, it remains cleared out, except for the occasional spawned monster.
  • In E1, you could store your items only in certain locations; in A1, you can store items anywhere in any town/dungeon.
  • A1 has outdoor wandering merchants; E1 doesn't.
  • A1 has hints about the Vahnatai ending their Resting; I never found any such hints in E1.
  • In E1, the mage spell Magic Map worked only in a town or dungeon, and required a sapphire to cast; in A1, the spell was replaced with Far Sight, which can be cast anywhere if you know it at a high enough level, and doesn't require anything in your inventory.

E1: Vahnatai, check the Strange Cave, north of Erika's Tower. Then check the ghost in the Dark Cavern, nw of the Slith Fort.

Basically the same maps though you will see subtle differences here and there like Exile has boats in parts where Avernum does not, Sss Thss' Castle: upper level and one part of the Final Gauntlet.