Fort Remote (spoilers for an almost decade old game inside!)

I killed Sss-Thss, reported back to the king, and then a messenger ran in informing me Fort Remote had been destroyed.

Click to reveal..
I went, checked it out, turned out it was Grah-Hoth. I'm sure everyone's totally surprised by this result.

This was doubly irksome because I'd gone and reassembled Demonslayer already and have all the information to go find and deal with said fellow. I just hadn't bothered.

I guess the real question is - can you save Fort Remote? Presumably, it might be possible to set out and defeat the source of the problem before bad things happen to the Fort. However, if it's not possible to do so, I'm not going to bother going back to an older save and trying it. If it IS possible, how practical is it?

Actually, Fort Remote isn't anywhere near Skarragath. There's no known connecting cave between Skarragath and the lands west of Fort Remote that doesn't involve going through Fort Saffron and the Great Cave.

—Alorael, who concludes that Grah-Hoth attacked a target of limited importance because he was thumbing his nose at Avernum. Or maybe he just missed.

Originally Posted By: Ferrous Oxide and Turpentine
Actually, Fort Remote isn't anywhere near Skarragath. There's no known connecting cave between Skarragath and the lands west of Fort Remote that doesn't involve going through Fort Saffron and the Great Cave.

—Alorael
Grah-Hoth was in Avernum before its founding, and would've surely known his way around its many caverns, so it's possible he knew of a route. And if there wasn't one, he simply could've teleported there and back.
Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
Maybe it was the softest target available
Well, if Fort Remote isn't the softest target, it's easily in the top five. Grah-Hoth most likely wouldn't have gone after the mages who imprisoned him, as they're too well-protected and/or powerful.

If Grah-Hoth is teleporting, he could pick a target arbitrarily. Silvar is pretty soft, too. If distance were a limitation, I'd still expect him to make it to Blosk.

—Alorael, who now must ponder that demon's ways are not the ways of mere mortals. Maybe Fort Remote's architecture disturbed him. Maybe he felt a bond because his fort is also remote.

In addition, Grah-Hoth was not at his full power at that time. He was still weak and recovering from his imprisonment. Perhaps he didn't think he had a chance against any place bigger than Fort Remote, or any place which the Exile army could get to quickly, such as Blosk, which is just a stone's throw away from the castle. Fort Remote is, indeed, remote, poorly staffed, and very difficult to defend against a sudden, powerful attack.

In addition, Grah-Hoth also wanted to show that he had no mercy or sympathy for his victims. Destroying Fort Remote so thoroughly showed just how callous he was.

In Exile 1, there were some encounters west of Fort Remote, where it says there used to be something there but it was burnt to ashes. Are those encounters different if you visit them before the attack?

All of the reasons why one fort is more important than another depend on the needs and limitations of the human body. Grah-Hoth does not have any of these limitations, and he doesn't seem very curious about or interested in people. However intelligent he is, he may not properly appreciate the importance of the shortest path from point A to point B, or of protecting the cave with all the farms in it, or any other consideration that we might use to pick a first target. And since he's planning to destroy them all anyway, he doesn't have much reason to care.

Originally Posted By: The Almighty Doer of Stuff
In Exile 1, there were some encounters west of Fort Remote, where it says there used to be something there but it was burnt to ashes. Are those encounters different if you visit them before the attack?
Possibly. Then again, I've played E1 maybe a handful of times at most, and only once all the way through.