Avernum and Geneforge to be continued?

Tcheedchee

Browsing through the games available at Spiderweb's, I read (with some discomfort), that Avernum 6 and Geneforge 5 have both been depicted as the final sequel of either series. Is Jeff Vogel gonna close-down spiderweb? What's gonna happen next? Would he be starting a totally new series? It would be such a pity if he just resigned. I wouldn't understand why either – except for that he might have something more interesting to do. The games are so much fun, and the community of players seems to be big enough…

Exile 3 was the last game in the Exile series, and A3 was as well by dint of being a simple remake. Then A4 happened. So no, the Geneforge and Avernum series might not be completely over. What we know for certain is that Jeff does not, as of right now, have any intention to continue them.

—Alorael, who might even go so far as to say that Jeff has a minor intention not to continue them just so he isn't stuck in a lucrative rut. Still, he hasn't sworn that they're over yet. That's something for those who want to see more to cling to.

In fact there seem to be no hot beverages in Avernum, though there are a few teapots and teacups. Nor is there any hot food, actually, though there are ovens for baking bread, and forges.

You know what? I'm having second thoughts about busting my hump to save this benighted place, when all it will ever give me in my lunchbox is mushroom ale and cold weird meat. Let's just leave it all to the pustulent zombies. Maybe Upper Avernum has a decent barbecue somewhere.

I've never played any of the Avernum games, but I'm pretty sure the set of graphics shares a lot with Geneforge. And since in Geneforge there are fire pits, I assume that there are fire pits in Avernum also. And one would assume that someone with some meat and a fire would have enough sense to use the two together (there are exceptional cases, ie: zombies, or just someone who likes raw meat, so your mileage may vary).

Another thing, in the GF games(so I'm assuming in Avernum also) it never specifies whether the meat is hot or cold, it just says that it's meat.

Just my two cents.

EDIT: Checked the screen shots, you can see a meat-shaped object over a fire here. Pretty sure it's not just for decoration (well, actually it is. Just not to the gremlins).

Originally Posted By: Niemand
What animal has a bright purple skin like that?

An animal that has been dyed. After it died, presumably.

—Alorael, who isn't sure where you think purple comes from in the real world either, but he assures you that it isn't from purple cows. The poets generally agree on that.

The history of dyes is actually pretty cool. I can usually astonish people by informing them that the color magenta was named after a battle. It's true; Magenta is or was a village somewhere in northern Italy, and in 1860-ish the French under Napoleon III defeated the Austrians in its vicinity. It was just around then that French chemists had developed a bright purple artificial dye, so they named the new color after the victory. A whole slew of artificial dyes were developed in the mid to late 1800s.

Before the artificial dye revolution, there actually weren't very many good dyes of any kind available. An amateur historian has told me that he traditional colors of national military uniforms — the British redcoats, the Prussian blue — were largely a function of what natural dyes were cheap and plentiful in each country. Then suddenly, instead of crushing snails or stewing plants, you could mix tar and oil and stuff in test tubes, and get big vats of intense colors that made all of previous human history look totally drab.

Dyes are also used as lasing media, since the point of a dye is to interact strongly with light in a narrow frequency range. The main laser system used for laser cooling cold sodium vapor for BEC experiments is shining through a little stream of bright yellow dye. Which unfortunately happens to be quite carcinogenic, so the poor grad students that have to tend the laser to stabilize its frequency have to worry about touching the liquid, as well as about getting burnt by the beam.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Dyes are also used as lasing media, since the point of a dye is to interact strongly with light in a narrow frequency range. The main laser system used for laser cooling cold sodium vapor for BEC experiments is shining through a little stream of bright yellow dye. Which unfortunately happens to be quite carcinogenic, so the poor grad students that have to tend the laser to stabilize its frequency have to worry about touching the liquid, as well as about getting burnt by the beam.

This reminds me of the old days when you tracked an infrared laser beam by placing computer punch cards in front of the laser and let it burn holes to determine its path.