Geneforge 1 crashes upon saving...

Ziddy

Quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:
Several Questions:

What Windows do you have?

Did you install anything that day?

Did you have a major crash before this happened?

Can you still load your files and stuff?

- Archmagi Micael
1) XP
2) Maybe, maybe not - I download and install stuff almost daily, and I've never had any problem like this before.
3) Not that I know of.
4) Everything works fine, except that the game crashes as soon as it saves. It still seems to save, but it crashes immediately afterward.

Well, If you download stuff daily and so on, it's probably one of them which messed it up.

But you're lucky.

On Win XP, you can restore previous system drivers settings and stuff. The system restores it automatically every time you install something, or change the registry.

You can just restore... (I would advise restoring on the Day that you know it worked last.)

(before restoring manually make a backup of your current settings with the restore wizard, so if it doesn't work, you can just come straight back to where you were)

Hope this helps you, but I've got to get some sleep now, so I can't help anymore today.

- Archmagi Micael

Before doing anything as drastic as Windows registry modifications, I'd suggest milder solutions:

0. Backup your savefiles.

1. Try deleting save directories (Save0, Save1, Save2, etc.) in your Geneforge > Data folder. After deleting them, recreate them manually.

2. Try reinstalling the game. (Back up your registration if the game is already registered.

Quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:
Before doing anything as drastic as Windows registry modifications, I'd suggest milder solutions:

0. Backup your savefiles.

1. Try deleting save directories (Save0, Save1, Save2, etc.) in your Geneforge > Data folder. After deleting them, recreate them manually.

2. Try reinstalling the game. (Back up your registration if the game is already registered.
That might work. But as a Windows user, I would say that the registry change is a bit drastic, however it might be the only way to do it.

Yeah, er, I'd make sure that all the proper directories are even there. For example, if a program was programmed to save a file in temp\save and there is no such directory, it's going to cause an error. But if you reinstalled the game and it still doesn't work, you may have ... I don't know ... some kind of virus or a missing system file?

confusedconfused

Any error messages, or does it just crash?