MBTI

Dintiradan

One of the courses I'm taking has a large term project, so we're spending the opening lectures on teamwork -- something I think is great, as it seems most projects (in and out of school) die because of lack of people skills, not technical skills. So I'm a bit disappointed when the first full-length lecture deals with Myers-Briggs Type Indicators.

I don't think computing science should be divorced from the other sciences, but I don't think it was necessary to spend the entire lecture on Jung and personality types. Specific complaints about MBTI aside, I think the system should have been mentioned only in passing. The prof made a couple feeble protests that people shouldn't be pigeonholed because of their types, but spending so much time on the subject gave the class the wrong idea. My suspicions were confirmed when someone asked which types were best suited for each other when it comes to teamwork (note this is before many people have chosen groups).

So now we have to complete a test on this site (which also has some tests for 'marriage compatibility') and send the result to a TA. After everyone forms groups, each group will be told what five types are present in it. Don't worry, it's confidential -- there's no way people will be able to match five types to the five group members!

You've probably figured out that I'm just ranting, and I'm unlikely to change my mind. I'm posting anyway because I need some form of outlet. I'm so close to posting a sarcastic personal ad on the course's forum. However, I've been flippant enough to my professors this semester -- and it's only the first week.

Anyway, have a poll! Everybody loves polls!

Originally Posted By: VCH
Why are all my scores so low?
Just that the test couldn't meaningfully place you in one of the two extremes it was designed to. In a way, the test failed. Just like all of these types of tests do. No offense to the creators. At least these tests often provoke some kind of self-reflection, at least.

Edit: My
of test fail. See VHC, he got a low score, too. wink

Probably not accurate, since I didn't even quite know what some of the questions meant, but... apparently I'm INTJ. (Which, if I recall correctly, is the result I got the last time I took a test like this.)

Introverted 78%

Intuitive 25%

Thinking 75%

Judging... 1%? shocked

And the results have converged about where you might expect for this forum: very large margins in favor of I, N, and T, and a small margin in favor of P.

What's interesting though is that the variance is so uniformly small -- individual types represented may vary and show E, S, or F, but never more than one of those. And more than half the types represented are in fact INT.

Originally Posted By: Atomic Rage Quit
INTJ. I didn't take the test. I've taken too many MBTI tests and now can't get meaningful results.

For the same reasons, I know that I am INFP. That said, I believe that through sheer use of willpower to repress and transformation the conscious personality, it's possible to shift around.