Facespam

Swimmin' Salmon

Seriously.

Got some spam today from stareye. I mean, I know it isn't him, but folks would likely be well served to not follow the provided link.

The text of the message was "I heard Aaron is making money online with ******************** .INFO"

(I deleted the name so that illiterates wouldn't be following it inadvertently.)

Aran has been passing the Turing test for so long, he forgets that some bots are allowed to act bot-like.

Edit: Or rather, he pretends to forget, so we won't suspect him.

Edit: Which is an efficiency in impersonation that no true human could attain, and is thus a fatal flaw in his algorithm, giving the game away.

Edit: Which proves he must be human after all, since an Aran-bot would surely be too smart for that.

Edit: Uh. Hmm. This is reminding me of another part of Mr Turing's oeuvre. Fortunately for me, physics always offers a solution to the halting problem.

That's one reason I avoid facebook, myspace, etc.; you can't really tell who's real and who's not.

Originally Posted By: Poached Salmon
The text of the message was "I heard Aaron is making money online with ******************** .INFO"
I get similar junk in my email and "snail mail." What gets me is this: If it's such a great way to make money, why do you have to sell it to make money?

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Ackrovan
Pretty much why I never got into the whole Facebook/Myspace thing. I don't feel like getting messages asking me to join your club.

There are enough people here who dislike Facebook that I think I'll start an I-hate-Facebook club. Care to join? tongue
Depends. Do I need a Facebook account to join? tongue

It's cool, but there's nothing actually paradoxical about belonging to a group called "People who aren't members of this group". It's just a misleadingly titled group.

In fact there is not even a paradox in a group which actually IS a group of people who aren't members of it, rather than simply being called that. The group could quite consistently exist, with zero members. Anyone claiming to be a member of such a group would be unambiguously wrong.

Paradoxical would be a group which actually is the group of ALL people who are not members of it. Unless, of course, there were no people.

Not to brag on my mad Facespace skilz, but you need to be a facebook adherent to start a group, and (unfortunately) the act of creating the group places that person in the role of member. Sad really. I suppose a person could create a group, and then commit Facesuicide. Would that more people did those in the opposite order.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
(I thought the original Barber Paradox was "The set of all sets that don't contain themselves as elements"; something difficult to do with Facebook as groups can't be members of groups. Is Student of Trinity referencing some other paradox, or am I out to lunch?)
That is the Barber Paradox, yes; it would be S = {x : x not in x}.

The paradox mentioned above would be S = {x in U : x not in S}. It's not quite the Barber Paradox, but it seems like similar reasoning would be used to show that it is a paradox.