Movies 2009

BainIhrno

Transformers 2 is underrated. Decent plot line, good jokes, great action scenes. Why some people hate this movie so much I don't understand.

District 9 was excellent. It put a unique twist on the concept of individual rights based on race. Pretty decent.

Zombieland, hands down, best movie of the year. That ones a cult classic.

Wolverine was okay. It's the definition of mediocrity.

Personal favorite was Sherlock Holmes. Downy was bloody brillant, no question.

Avatar was actually pretty interesting. Basically a cowboy and Indians movie, but in space. Not too bad.

That's all I got.

Originally Posted By: Chris Kringle
Transformers 2 is underrated. Decent plot line, good jokes, great action scenes. Why some people hate this movie so much I don't understand.

I think a lot of people found the plot to be too weak. I personally thought the plot was just strong enough to hold the movie together. I don't think its a bad film, but it's not spectacular either.

Sherlock Holmes was quite good. Good action bits, good story, and good acting.

If anyone here is a fan of Sir Author Conan Doyle's books, the Holmes in this movie is more of an action oriented person than the pure intellectual from the stories/older movies and shows, but they retained some of the general charater of the character, and Downey did a good job IMO.

I would recomend seeing it.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
If anyone here is a fan of Sir Author Conan Doyle's books, the Holmes in this movie is more of an action oriented person than the pure intellectual from the stories/older movies and shows

Zuh? Have you even read the books? Holmes and Watson carry guns around in their investigations and fairly often find an occasion to use them.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
If anyone here is a fan of Sir Author Conan Doyle's books, the Holmes in this movie is more of an action oriented person than the pure intellectual from the stories/older movies and shows

You might be thinking of Mycroft Holmes, who sits around smoking opium and outclassing Holmes in every way, like weight an intellect. Actually just those two ways.

They're gentlemen, and they're no strangers to violent struggle, but they're gentlemen first. Holmes doesn't always solve crimes with violence, particularly since a number of the crimes he solves also aren't violent.

—Alorael, who must also note, however, that Sherlock Holmes and his rival Moriarty resolve their differences essentially by mutual pushes off the edge of a cliff. And Holmes survives. If that isn't action hero material, nothing is.

Originally Posted By: Chris Kringle

Actually, I think all that hype around it makes it a bit overrated. Movies should turn down their hype. Then again, if you turn down your movie's hype, someone else is going to make a movie with a little more hype than yours, and outsell you.

Originally Posted By: To Sleep

—Alorael, who must also note, however, that Sherlock Holmes and his rival Moriarty resolve their differences essentially by mutual pushes off the edge of a cliff. And Holmes survives. If that isn't action hero material, nothing is.

The difference between an action hero and an action villain is that the villain falls off a cliff and dies, while the hero falls of the cliff and lives.

From what I've seen from the movie trailer and publicity, Sherlock Holmes is closer to the Canon (short stories and novels) than earlier films. Holmes was trained in jujitsu and other forms of fighting and not adverse to using them. After all anyone that can bend an iron poker didn't get that way by just thinking. I'd have to look for the story that mentioned his involvement in boxing.

Dr. Watson was an army doctor during the Afghan Wars and several times killed people while assisting Holmes.

Now if you want a different version of Holmes and can locate it, then there is The Hound of the Baskervilles with Peter Cook as Holmes and Dudley Moore as Dr. Watson. That puts an entirely different persepective on the stories.

He's also an addict with some rather implausible ideas about psychology. And speaking of psychology, there's probably an argument to be made for his having one kind of pathology or another.

—Alorael, who imagines that Mr. Holmes's cocaine habit gets cleaned up for most adaptations. It's not the sort of thing one often finds in a hero.

Quote:
After all anyone that can bend an iron poker didn't get that way by just thinking. I'd have to look for the story that mentioned his involvement in boxing.

I'm pretty sure that was The Speckled Band.

Quote:
What stories mention this cocaine addiction? I don't remember it.

That was mentioned in both A Scandal in Bohemia and The Sign of the Four, IIRC.
Edit: There are probably others, but I can't remember.

Originally Posted By: The Ratt
What stories mention this cocaine addiction? I don't remember it.

The seven percent solution that he injects into himself. There were later books by Nicholas Meyers and a movie based on them. that mention this and curing it. It was Holmes' cure for boredom.