Movies 2009

BainIhrno

So, what movies did you see the past year and what did you think of them. Here's my list (movies with the same score aren't necessarily in order):

Harry Potter 6 - 9/10 (best)

Knowing - 8/10

Star Trek - 8/10

A Christmas Carol - 8/10

Coraline - 7/10

Angels and Demons - 7/10

Race to Witch Mountain - 6/10

Aliens in the Attic - 5/10

Hannah Montana: The Movie - 4/10

X-Men: Wolverine - 4/10 (worst)

I still want to see Sherlock Holmes.

For 2010, I'm looking forward to Alice in Wonderland, Toy Story 3, and Harry Potter 7.

Call me a pessimist (or maybe a grouchy old man), but I did not like any movie that came out in theaters this year. My list of "greatest movies ever" still doesn't include anything from the 2000's. Of course, I may be biased since I saw maybe, maybe a half-dozen movies this year.

EDIT: I lied. LOTR is up there.

I like movies. I see a lot of them. Here's most of what I saw this year in theaters.

Really Great Movies:

Inglorious Basterds (winner, best ending to any movie ever)

Watchmen (loved the comic, too)

Star Trek (can't say no to Star Trek)

Drag Me to Hell (if you liked Evil Dead and Army of Darkness, this is for you)

Brüno (should not be viewed by anyone, ever)

District 9 (I rarely want sequels, but I really want to see what happens next)

Terminator: Salvation

Pretty Good:

Coraline (Terry Hatcher played herself, funny)

Knowing (bizarre ending, though)

2012 (same plot as knowing, more action, better ending)

Capitalism: A Love Story (enlightening)

Surrogates

Monsters vs. Aliens

X-Men: Wolverine

Angels & Demons

Pretty Bad:

Harry Potter XII (the action is the only good part of this series)

Transformers II (I may be biased as I think transformers is a stupid concept to begin with)

Street Fighter: Chun-Li (the guy who played Bison was good, at least)

Halloween II (Rob Zombie's worst film, and I usually like his stuff)

9 (too short, and I felt bad for the 'evil' machine in the end, and the ending was lame)

Underworld: Rise of the Lycans

Funny Movies:

Year One (blasphemous in an awesome way)

Crank II (probably not meant as a comedy, but still)

Observe and Report (like Paul Blart, only good)

Not Funny:

Paul Blart

The Hangover (most overrated movie of the year, Pineapple Express was better)

Zombieland (Shaun of the Dead was better)

I Love You, Man (why did I go see this?)

Up (depressing)

Funny People (even more depressing, just barely falling short of being a dark comedy)

Underdogs:

12 Rounds (professional wrestlers make pretty good actors, probably because they're really professional actors)

G.I. Joe (this was way better than I expected)

Fighting

Overall it seems this was the year of bad comedies. There are some real gems to be found in all that mess, though, I must say.

Movies I felt were good this year include Up, Harry Potter 6, Star Trek, District 9, Zombieland, and Where the Wild Things Are. Movies that I felt had potential included Knowing, Watchmen, Wolverine, and Hangover. Movies I disliked included The Men Who Stare at Goats and Year One; at least I didn't have to pay for those last two.

Wow, I didn't realize I've seen so many movies this year.

The Pink Panther 2 - 8/10 (Hilarious, maybe even better than the first Steve Martin Pink Panther film)

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs - 6/10 (I thought this was going to be stupid, but I was surprised)

Race to Witch Mountain - 6/10 (Meh)

Terminator Salvation - 5/10 (Terminator remade for the fourth or fifth time, but this time with a shroud of fog around his crotch. Also, the old woman in the movie looks just like my chemistry teacher, which made me bust out laughing.)

Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - 3/10 (Boring, and it doesn't help that I despise both Roosevelts.)

Paul Blart: Mall Cop - 2/10 (Seriously, Napoleon Dynamite was funnier and Napoleon Dynamite doesn't have any substance)

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 1/10 (I fell asleep. Are these movies only popular because of Megan Fox?)

Quote:
Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen - 1/10 (I fell asleep. Are these movies only popular because of Megan Fox?)

Yes. tongue I went to see it with some of my friends and they were talking about how they wanted to marry her... sometimes I can't help but be condescending.

Quote:
I still want to see Sherlock Holmes.

I went to see Sherlock Holmes today, and I loved it. I didn't expect it to be very good. I thought they were going to completely ruin Holmes for me, but they actually portrayed the character quite well, plus it had a really good plot.

Quote:
Coraline - 7/10

I would give that one a 9. I think it might even have been better than the book.

Quote:
X-Men: Wolverine - 4/10 (worst)

Really? I loved that one!

Was Yesman 2009? If so, then it was my favorite of the year.

How is Cloudy with a chance of meatballs not in your list? Mind, I don't think anyone in the planet thought the movie would be good, but man was it good.

I can't exactly remember all the movies I went to see this year, but it was certainly not as many as in previous years. I'm starting to drop the hole: "I know it'll suck, but why not?" attitude. Hence, no HP VI for me.

Movies I really liked:

UP

Cloudy with a chance of meatballs

Movies I thought were kind of good:

Star Trek

Watchmen

Pirate Radio/The boat that rocked

I just rented Inglorious Basterds and Terminator Salvation. I heard the latter is terrible, but I can't help it. I'm hoping it won't too bad.

This was a big year for movies, or at least for me watching them. I enjoyed many, being the kind of person who goes to a film to enjoy rather than criticize.

Some favorites are:

Avatar - definitely the best this year

Star Trek - I also found and watch all 10 originals

Harry Potter 6 - if only because some good friends of mine like it.

Movies I liked:(Not necessarily in order)

Inglorious Bastards

Wolverine

Watchmen

Star Trek

The Blind Side

Zombieland

Ok Movies

Transformers 2

Gi Joe

Harry Potter(Though I very much disliked the battle at the Weasleys)

Up

Terminator

Ice Age

Night at the Museum(even though I dislike Stiller)

Can't really think of any movies that I hated except one;

The Stepfather

Horrible movie, thank goodness I hadn't paid to see it(free screening), still wasn't worth it.

It's not hard to entertain me(product of loner childhood I imagine).

I'll most likely be seeing Avatar and Sherlock Holmes sometime this week.

I haven't seen as much movies this year as some of you but:

District 9- My favorite this year, definitely worth my money

Inglourious Basterds- My runner up for favorite, I agree with Alorael that it might be worth seeing in ten years. At least to me.

Bruno- Same guy who made Borat. I found it really funny, though some of my friends didn't like it.

Up- Pretty nice, but not on the top of my list. It's better than the movie posters make it seem, though (which is a rarity among modern movies)

9- It's okay, though lacking in some aspects. I still found it somewhat enjoyable.

The Knowing- My least favorite this year. Though it's decently done, I found it extremely unoriginal.

Most of the other movies I didn't see because I heard about how bad they were from my friends.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Terminator Salvation - 5/10 (Terminator remade for the fourth or fifth time
None of the Terminator movies are remakes, really. They are all their own part of the saga. Salvation was the only one that actually takes place during the robot war, which made it unique among the Terminator movies. It was really pretty good, I thought, and Arnold's cameo was just a bonus. I am jealous of Christian Bale, though. He gets to be Batman and John Connor? That's too much awesome for any one man.

Originally Posted By: Monroe
Terminator Salvation - 5/10 (Terminator remade for the fourth or fifth time
None of the Terminator movies are remakes, really. They are all their own part of the saga. Salvation was the only one that actually takes place during the robot war, which made it unique among the Terminator movies. It was really pretty good, I thought, and Arnold's cameo was just a bonus. I am jealous of Christian Bale, though. He gets to be Batman and John Connor? That's too much awesome for any one man.
That was not Arnold. it just looked liked him.

Originally Posted By: RCCCL
Can't really think of any movies that I hated except one;

The Stepfather

Horrible movie, thank goodness I hadn't paid to see it(free screening), still wasn't worth it.

I think this was the remake of a really bad movie from the 80s that luckily I only saw as a free screening. I couldn't believe it did well enough to make a sequel let alone a remake.

I'm not going to assign scores, because meh. So.

Coraline was great. I expected not to like it, actually, because I'd heard bad reviews about it, but it's a beautifully made film, and definitely something I'd watch over again.

Yes Man was okay (and came out in '09 in the UK), but I'd already read the book and enjoyed that much more. Zooey Deschanel did make it sort of worthwhile though.

District 9 left me torn. I liked it, but I guess I just didn't dig the ending very much. I can't put my finger on why though.

Transformers 2... the less said which the better. Honestly. The first remake was bad enough, but I just couldn't like anything about this new one. The 1980's cartoon movie will always be the best.

(500) Days of Summer was probably my favourite film of '09, just beating Inglorious Basterds, which was immensely fun to watch. Even with the terrible accents. tongue

I still want to see Fantastic Mr. Fox and Nowhere Boy, and I've been told Sherlock Holmes is pretty good too, so I'll check that out.

I didn't see the Witch Mountain remake, because the original is far superior. tongue And, I didn't see Harry Potter 6, because it's Harry Potter 6. The Twilight movie was also shunned, but that should be no surprise. Also, I was going to go and see Dorian Gray, but... I get the impression that it won't capture the book particularly well at all. Has anybody seen it, and is it any good?

Originally Posted By: Monroe
I am jealous of Christian Bale, though. He gets to be Batman and John Connor? That's too much awesome for any one man.

This is what I thought until after seeing Salvation -just finished watching it. But now: meh. John Connor was such a pussy in this movie. He just walked around saying: "I'm John Connor... It's me: Connor." This movie really ruined my idea of how much of a badass Connor was frown

Other than that, it was OK. I really liked the Avatar kid's character. And despite all the wtf moments (seriously, you are letting a freaking Terminator who can heal himself and is on your side die over the: "I'm Connor" dude? While you still have Skynet to fight?) I quite enjoyed it.

I also finished Inglorious Bastards not too long ago, and it's not my kind of movie. I will admit that it looked like a great movie. Great writing, and quite a decent set of acting. If you can forgive Pitt's accent, that is.

Not really a 2009 movie, but I saw the original Bedazzled with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore this year, and it's way funnier than anything that's been released in the last ten or twenty years with the possible exception of A Fish Called Wanda.

I still want to see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, though I'm not sure if that's still set for American theatres in 2009.

(has to consult the 2009 in film article on Wikipedia...)

Let's see... I'm generally pretty bad about seeing movies when they come out. In fact, I only saw three that came out this year. Wow. Definitely missed a few good ones.

1. Coraline. Amazing, and the only movie I wish I'd been able to see in 3D. Ever. And it was still so good in 2D that I'm not sure that 3D would've really added anything.

2. Inglorious Basterds. Funny, dark, action.

3. Zombieland. Sure, it's not Shaun of the Dead, but it can't be. It was different, and I approved of it. Also epic celebrity cameo win.

The Pink Panther 2 - 8/10 (Hilarious, maybe even better than the first Steve Martin Pink Panther film)

I just flat-out refuse to believe that it's better than the originals.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
I still want to see The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, though I'm not sure if that's still set for American theatres in 2009.

This. Good lord, this. I didn't even know it existed until a few days ago, but I want to see it.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Not really a 2009 movie, but I saw the original Bedazzled with Peter Cook and Dudley Moore this year, and it's way funnier than anything that's been released in the last ten or twenty years.

I saw this in January when I was in the States, and yes. Great, great movie. smile

I think the only movie I saw that was made in 2009 was the 6th Harry Potter, and then only after it came out on video. It was okay, but could've been greatly improved by being a lot more true to the book.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

I just flat-out refuse to believe that it's better than the originals.

Agreed. And I still say that Steve Martin was horribly miscast as Inspector Clouseau to begin with.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
the only movie i saw in a cinema this year was moon

it is about a dude on the moon doing moon things and it is directed by david bowie's son

moon owns

Totally agree, Moon was an awesome movie. Also loved Saw 6, Zombieland, Star Trek, Watchmen, and District 9.

Still need to see Coraline, Inglorious Basterds, Sherlock Holmes, Avatar and Terminator Salvation.

Originally Posted By: A Figment Of Your Imagination
Originally Posted By: I need no introduction

i liked knowing but the poster was awful. ugggg

Did the poster say:
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /2009/posters/knowing.jpg on this server.

Because that is awful indeed.

i don't know why it is doing that but i will try to fix that later, the poster was the one that said
Quote:
what happens when the numbers run out?
(shudders).

I just saw Disney's Princess and the Frog. It's a typical Disney movie, with a predictable plot and allusions or actual quotes from just about every other Disney movie out there. As a film, its utterly unimpressive. As a feel-good movie, it does its job. As a movie to take a nice girl to, it does its job aswell.

Avatar was really fun, despite the plot being sci-fi Dances with Wolves, it was visually stunning and simply the best film I've seen for ages. The beasties were awesome, and the tech was nearly as good. Everything just looked so detailed and planned out, and it looked more real than any CGI fil, I've ever seen. I looked at it yesterday, so may still be a bit biased ^^.

Up was good as well, though different.

9 really annoyed me. Though mainly the aspect of the characters.

District 9 was okay, but the pure stupidity of some characters left me not really satisfied, and the ending wasn't really one.

Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was great fun. Somewhere in the middle, I noticed Heath Ledger looked quite like Johnny Depp.

Night at the Museum 2 wasn't really that funny, and there were a few plot holes between it and the first.

Transformers 2 was visually great, but too full of clichés and stereotypes.

Angels and Demons is the worst book adaptation I've ever seen. Like HP6, it changed the ending so much it ended up as rubbish, though HP6 had the advantage of having the first 2 hours actually being fun.

Haven't seen Terminator, Watchmen, Wolverine or Inglourious Basterds yet frown I get the feeling I'd enjoy all of them but be disappointed by Arnold-less Terminator.

Originally Posted By: JadeWolf

Angels and Demons is the worst book adaptation I've ever seen.

I'm not sure about that but I thought it was awful, too. It was basically a group of people led by Tom Hanks running from left to right (or right to left) through imagery somewhat related to Rome. I'm serious: they are running through the picture most of the time. It reminded me of Forrest Gump but that was actually pretty good.

Up I liked a lot although Ratatouille remains my favorite Pixar film. I also enjoyed Star Trek and Where the Wild Things Are. Harry Potter was entertaining but also very badly directed I thought. The problem is that I only make to the cinema if at least one of the kids comes along so I saw neither District 9 nor Inglorious Basterds. Eagerly awaiting the DVD releases.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Master1
Explain yourself, please. I don't see how Avatar can be put on the same level as Harry Potter.

Must we all be required to worship Avatar? Really?

Dikiyoba.

No. We are required to worship Harold Bloom's assessment that Harry Potter novels = Satan incarnate. Avatar wasn't that bad. Better than HP, to be sure.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Master1
Explain yourself, please. I don't see how Avatar can be put on the same level as Harry Potter.

Must we all be required to worship Avatar? Really?

Dikiyoba.

Yes. There is no question. If you do not, I will eat your soul be very displeased.

Well, I at least found it to be a good movie. I guess not everyone shares my tastes though.

I have no idea what the difference between a film and a movie is.

Avatar and Harry Potter were both good for mindless entertainment and looking pretty. (I'd already read the HP book and Avatar is entirely predictable, so I didn't need to think about the plot or ideas or anything)

By film, I mean the quality of the picture. The acting, the screenplay, the special effects, and so on. Movie to me has more to do with how the movie affects you. Did it make you cry? Did it make you happy?

For example, Disney films of late tend to be mediocre films but excellent movies, if only because they keep my little sisters occupied for hours on end.