Happy Holidays!

Acky

Sure that's Breton? Looks and sounds suspiciously like something Jewish to me, though is apparently not Hebrew.

EDIT: Seems it has something to do with Hanukkah, being a near quote of the Shehecheyanu, which is a prayer which can be associated to Hanukkah.

Barukh atah Adonai eloheinu melekh ha'olam, she'hecheyanu v'kiymanu v'higiyanu lazman ha-zeh.

Praised are You, Sovereign of the Universe, for granting us life, for sustaining us, and for enabling us to reach this day.

That doesn't help me though.

Does it have anything to do with singer LaZman HaZeh?

Being unwilling to spend more than 5 minutes on this problem with breakfast (yes, I KNOW it's 17.45 and I just got up) waiting, if anyone finds the above info useful, use it for something.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Merry Christmas everyone! Hopefully it'll be so perfect that no other Christmas, or indeed twenty-fifth of any month, shall be able to compare. For all those were born today, even if you don't observe Christmas, may your day be especially merry.
Oddly enough, even though we observe Christmas, all our 'festive gifts' were opened on the fifth (pakjesavond / sinterklaasavond). The only presents opened on Christmas were for the person celebrating her birthday yesterday. Of course, at her age she was more interested in the wrapping paper than the gifts, but whatever.

I think it's a good idea. Even before we had extended family members born the week of Christmas, we kept 'festive gift-giving' and Christmas on separate days. Religious concerns aside, Christmas Day is busy enough without gifts.

Got to the last hurdle, at least.

—Alorael, who will try again. The Shehecheyanu is not a Hanukkah prayer, although it is recited for Hanukkah. It's a general prayer of thankfulness. It's related to Kel's quote. There is one additional word in there. That word means happy.

Originally Posted By: Master1
What language is it then? Google Translate maintains that it is Breton.

why exactly do you think everyone was talking about translating Jewish prayers from Hebrew

do you see anything else in this thread that might reasonably be a Jewish prayer written in Hebrew

would it not therefore be a reasonable conclusion that Google Translate has misidentified the language and that your text is part of a Jewish prayer written in Hebrew

Originally Posted By: Iffy
I'm not Christian (far from it), but I still celebrate Christmas...odd...

It's more of a cultural holiday than a religious holiday now, so unless you are attending church Christmas pageants or something, it makes perfect sense.

Also, xkcd is severely overrated. Dikiyoba no longer reads it.

I like xkcd, I accept that having its virtues praised to absurd degrees may make it overrated without making it not excellent in its own right, and I can still enjoy xkcd sucks</url> on occasion.

—Alorael, who will warn you that the link leads to some profanity and potential nudity. Like xkcd, actually. Often because it contains xkcd.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
I cannot possibly fathom the degree of self-loathing required to make a website devoted to trolling a webcomic.

why not,
at least its not stupid drivel, one time i was one a website and the front page was filled with
Quote:
W00t first page

i think xkcd is funny but people can complain if they don't like it.

It was really funny when I first learned of it, rather belatedly, and went through the archive of tons of old ones. Now it's not nearly as good. I can't tell, though, whether this is really a downward trend, or just the fact that when I first read it I was remembering the few best out of several years' production. Whichever, I'm thinking of stopping following it.