What child is this

VCH

http://cantorion.org/music/489/Christmas_Carol_Songbook_Sheet_music

Found this link on Wikipedia.

Or by "instrumentals" do you mean an actual recording? Because if that's what you want, keep in mind that a recorded performance of a piece of music can be copyrighted even if the music itself is in the public domain.

Originally Posted By: VCH
Youtube hasn't provided anything but random people playing a guitar etc for what child is this. I want a more professional instrumental version.

You realise "professional" means "working in exchange for money", right? Where do you think that money comes from?

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
You realise "professional" means "working in exchange for money", right? Where do you think that money comes from?
Just playing the devil's advocate here: it's legal for VCH to copy music for private, non-commercial use (see sixth point).

Not nice, especially if you're copying music from a little-known artist, but still legal.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Just playing the devil's advocate here: it's legal for VCH to copy music for private, non-commercial use (see sixth point).

Not nice, especially if you're copying music from a little-known artist, but still legal.

Yeah that's true. I could rip it from youtube if I can ever find it, or some other source.

My point was that the song is 100+ years old so there should be some instrumental versions scattered around that people haven't maintained the copyright on.

And professional in this context means high quality, as in I want a good copy.That's why i said I wanted a more professional copy than what youtube has. Although if you want to be anal about it, yeah normally money, capitalism, blah, blah.

The tune is great, and is a neat example of a tune that can be done in simple or compound time (3/4 or 6/8). In 3/4 it's stately and even, in 6/8 it bounces along with a lilt. That's about the summit of my music theory, alas.

The original lyrics are a lament over the infidelity of a courtesan. 'What child is this?' came a lot later.