Avernum 6 Ending Criteria

Would someone please list how many different endings may be achieved based on killing NPCs or completing a faction's quests? I am only halfway through the game, but I would like to know how far I can progress before one of my actions narrows the endings down.

Ex:

1. Gladwell dead, Melanchion dead

2. Gladwell dead, Starrus dead

3. Gladwell (complete), Melanchion dead

and if you could indicate where endings differ only slightly... I'm predicting that

3a. [Gladwell (complete), Melanchion dead]

doesn't differ as much from

3b. [Gladwell (complete), Melanchion (incomplete)]

as it differs from 1 or 2.

I haven't tested this (yet), but I think whether you take out the Fang Clan stronghold or not makes a slight difference.

There are also gradations of Melanchion (incomplete) where the result changes depending on which and how many of Melanchion's missions you choose to complete. I believe this is also true of Gladwell, where completing certain of his missions will have a minor affect on the ending whether or not you do the whole string.

For example, I suspect that there are four different endings for what happens to the Abyss, depending on whether you kill both mayors, neither, or just one. I'm particularly curious what those possibilities are... but, so far, not curious enough to re-do the endgame four times to check out the various permutations.

As far as I know, the earliest things you can do to affect the ending are Gladwell's second and third quests. The second quest is a minor effect, the third, I believe, can be fairly major.

Yeah, gladwell's quests are probably the most influential, and the most beneficial to avernum, if you ask me. Melanchion's quests are also very important, there's 4, two of them define northern avernum, one defines the abyss, and the other one I can't remember what it was tongue

what you do with the abyss is secondary but still influential. Gladwell and Melanchion will both have quests for you here, and both will influence the ending of the abyss.

You can't kill starrus, this is a big big big spoiler so if you're just trying to see what options you have don't read it

Click to reveal..
Gladwell can. If you do all his missions, he'll will the power struggle vs starrus easily, if you don't he'll lose. I say he's better for avernum because he can do a much better job of protecting avernum

The fang clan is minor, but yes.

Excellent answers all around. Since I'm itching to complete Gladwell's quests, is there someone who can post the ending text that mentions Spire when one has NOT fulfilled the "Mayor of Spire" quest?

Second, I have a question about GIFTS (the spiders).

Click to reveal..
In the giant lair beneath Grindstone, I can kill GIFTS in the giants' kitchen. Once the evil deed is done, I receive a Spider Egg Sac. Is this the object of more than one quest? If this particular egg sac fulfills Gladwell's quest, do I get any benefit from the fact that I've avoided having to anger the GIFTS later?

Originally Posted By: Svelte Prince Penoir
Second, I have a question about GIFTS (the spiders).
Click to reveal..
In the giant lair beneath Grindstone, I can kill GIFTS in the giants' kitchen. Once the evil deed is done, I receive a Spider Egg Sac. Is this the object of more than one quest? If this particular egg sac fulfills Gladwell's quest, do I get any benefit from the fact that I've avoided having to anger the GIFTS later?

Click to reveal..
There's only one quest that requires the sac. However, one of the spiders gives you a quest to free those imprisoned spiders, so if you kill them, you've screwed up that quest. It's better to do both of the spiders' quests and then steal their eggs.

Originally Posted By: Svelte Prince Penoir
Excellent answers all around. Since I'm itching to complete Gladwell's quests, is there someone who can post the ending text that mentions Spire when one has NOT fulfilled the "Mayor of Spire" quest?

If you kill the Bragga mayor but not the Spire mayor, Melanchion dominates the Abyss. I forget the exact text, but it's something along the lines of, "The Abyss is finally safe. At the cost of the freedom it valued so much."

I haven't tried the various other permutations yet. Based on other elements of the ending, my guess would be that the "optimal" ending (for the people of the Abyss, anyway), would be to leave them both alive.

Originally Posted By: elchipeo
Yeah, gladwell's quests are probably the most influential, and the most beneficial to avernum, if you ask me. Melanchion's quests are also very important, there's 4, two of them define northern avernum, one defines the abyss, and the other one I can't remember what it was.

The Darkside Loyalist base. Defines the Empire, I assume? (I haven't tried not killing them.)