Saturday Afternoons on the forums

Spddin Ignis

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
You're all forgetting that it's freaking cold outside.
Originally Posted By: ANGREH MARINE
Pansy.
So tonight it's likely to get to forty below (that's forty below to you Fahrenheit users). Not to worry though — according to the long range forecast it'll be above freezing on Thursday.

Originally Posted By: Spaki Njordvald
Quote:
forty below (that's forty below to you Fahrenheit users)

What math are you using?

He's right. 32 degrees Fahrenheit is 0 degrees Celsius, one Fahrenheit degree is equal to 5/9 of a Celsius degree, and it works out that -40 degrees is the point at which Celsius and Fahrenheit temperatures are equal. It's a cute little fact to remember.

Originally Posted By: James Stevens

As I sat down one evening within a small café,
A forty year old waitress to me these words did say:

I see that you're a logger, and not just a common bum,
For no-one but a logger stirs his coffee with his thumb.

My lover was a logger. There's none like him today;
If you'd pour whiskey on it, he'd eat a bale of hay.

He never shaved his whiskers from off his horny hide:
He pounded them in with a hammer, and bit them off inside.

My lover came to see me upon one freezing day;
He held me in his fond embrace which broke three vertebrae.

He kissed me as we parted, so hard it broke my jaw.
I couldn't speak to tell him he forgot his mackinaw.

I saw my lover leaving, sauntering through the snow,
Going gaily homeward at forty-eight below.

The weather tried to freeze him. It tried its level best.
At a hundred degrees below zero, he buttoned up his vest.

It froze clear through to China. It froze to the stars above.
At a thousand degrees below zero, it froze my logger love.

They tried in vain to thaw him. At last, you know it, sir:
They made him into axeblades, to chop the Douglas fir.

So since I lost my lover, to this café I come,
And here I wait till someone stirs his coffee with his thumb.

As a physicist, you should just move the coordinates to somewhere where -1000º is not a problem.

—Alorael, who now wonders why degrees of temperature are not subdivided into minutes and seconds. And, for that matter, why you can't combine temporal seconds into minutes and minutes into degrees.

One way to think about absolute temperature is to realize that T as a measure of how hot something is is actually upside down. You should really think of 1/T as a measure of how cold something is. So absolute zero is infinitely cold. It's impossible to get colder than that.

The ultimately rational unit of temperature is the Planck degree — a unit entirely free of arbitrary conventions because it is based solely on fundamental constants. Unfortunately it's an inconveniently large unit of temperature. 1 Planck degree is about 1.4 x 10^32 Celsius.

An alternative that isn't quite so firmly pinned down might be a temperature based on the somewhat fuzzily determined energy scale called Lambda_QCD — the energy at which the energy-dependent interaction strength between quarks and gluons equals 1. This means that, just as water droplets break up into loose water molecules at 100 Celsius, and most atoms ionize into loose electrons and nuclei at a few thousand Celsius, protons and neutrons will begin breaking up into loose quarks at around 1 QCD-degree. That's somewhere around 10^12 Celsius.

We really know nothing about what might happen at 1 degree Planck, but it might be that spacetime itself breaks up into loose ... events? Zowie.

Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
1 Planck degree is about 1.4 x 10^32 Celsius.

We really know nothing about what might happen at 1 degree Planck, but it might be that spacetime itself breaks up into loose ... events? Zowie.

Integer overflow? tongue

"This universe has encountered an unexpected error. Please restart."