AIMhack - Selos and Blood Marsh

Ephesos

UPDATE! The campaign has begun, and all information related to it can be found on my website!

Alright, folks, it's finally time for me to start bringing out the material I've prepared for the next campaign. It will be using the same system as the Labyrinth campaign, though some things have changed from the last time around.

At this point, all I'm looking to hear is who's interested, and who's got characters they're willing to put out there. I've talked about this a little before, but I plan on taking on two parties of 4-5 people each, with the goal being alternating who's playing each week (then whichever group is idle can spectate if they want to help out).

So, without further ado, let's get into the good stuff. Setting!

Quote:
In a dark corner of the sky lies a world so old that its own people have forgotten its name. This faded planet has been worn and scarred by countless battles, ancient magic, and the simple grind of the aeons. Yet, life continues.

The scholars of the world have re-christened it Mote, puzzled by its diminutive size. Most of these scholars have long since passed, as darkness begins to swallow the world.

Mote's surface is a vast open ocean, pockmarked by rugged islands. The last empire to span the islands, and thus the world, crumbled centuries ago. Since then, lesser lords have stepped up to try and fill the void, but something always brings their efforts to naught. Only the smallest and most rugged states seem to survive for more than a century.

Cities of course persist. It's easy to raise a single city and defend it against the encroaching darkness, but that's about the extent of civilization in this age. Travelers can always find a safe haven, should they survive the wilderness.

The heroes of old are gone. Greatness is harder to come by as the dangers of the wild grow fiercer. Most are content to live out their lives in their quiet corners of the islands, hoping that darkness will pass them over. Others believe that the world will end soon, and spend their days in wild debauchery, celebrating the decadence of aeons past.

Of course, stories still survive the ravages of time, and you have had your glimpses of the greatness of old. You've heard the cautionary tales, and have witnessed the self-styled heroes of your day, as well as their downfall.

Still, there is always hope, and there is always adventure.

Next, a little information about the more prominent races found on Mote:

Click to reveal.. (Races of Mote)
Mote is home to many races of beings, from the mundane to the fantastic. Here are but a few:

Humans

Humans, who seem to be found everywhere in the multiverse, are surprisingly rare on Mote. This is generally blamed on the actions of the necromancer Chamulsep, whose countless atrocities aeons ago prompted a certain degree of backlash against humanity. Those humans who survive today are generally secretive, often keeping to themselves in the interiors of the islands. Still, a few major cities have substantial human populations.

Elves

The same elvenkind that supposedly graces the Feywild is not found on Mote. The elves of the islands may still possess a degree of grace and poise, but these individuals are more likely to pass their time in a drunken revelry at the tavern than pursuing higher arts. Many elders of the race lament their perceived dependency on the comforts of civilization, but these complaints are generally ignored.

Dwarves

The dwarves of Mote have a penchant for the open sea. Most of the ships crossing between the islands are either owned, captained, or maintained by dwarves, and their exacting craftsmanship is said to be the one thing standing between the people of Mote and total isolation. Perhaps as a consequence of spending so much time out on the wild seas, dwarves are almost universally pious, though their devotions vary as wildly as anyone.

Dragonborn

Few dragons are seen on Mote, but their presence is ever felt, if only in the form of the dragonborn. Humanoid reptiles, they cling to the middle latitudes that benefit their anatomy. Proud and long-lived, they are believed to hold ancient arcane secrets passed down by their great draconic ancestors. Few dragonborn are willing to comment on these rumors, but it is widely acknowledged that they make highly competent healers.

Lacewings

Bearing only a passing resemblance to Earth's lacewings, these beings are short insect-like humanoids, with clear tapered wings. Lacewings are rarely trusted by outsiders, and their paranoia is generally well-founded. The creatures always seem to have some sort of hidden agenda, and always seem to know more than they should about everything. In the end, it's not that you can't trust a lacewing, it's just generally a bad idea.

Goblins

Some things just never change. Goblins on Mote, like everywhere else, are typically a nuisance. Still, the brighter of the brash, loud, and uncouth goblins have somehow found their way into civilized society, if only at the margins. They can act as bodyguards and perform other dangerous tasks, and are still generally viewed as expendable. Of course, telling a goblin to his face that he is expendable is a terrible idea. And should you be out in the goblin's home territory, good luck.

Click to reveal.. (Mechanical Bonuses)
Humans: Still facing occasional persecution in the present day, humans have learned over time to avoid their enemies. +1 Stealth, +1 Perception

Elves: Elves prefer the word "dignified" over "tame", and enjoy the benefits of "highly-cultured" lives. +1 Streetwise, +1 Bluff

Dwarves: Dwarves build ships held together by the strength of their craftsmanship and augmented by prayer. +1 Artifice, +1 Religion

Dragonborn: It could be their draconic ancestry, but dragonborn are gifted with an innate understanding of the healing arts. +1 First Aid, +1 Diplomacy

Lacewings: Tricky and eerily-knowledgeable, lacewings like to remain secretive about where they derive their powers. +1 Thievery, +1 History

Goblins: Goblins, as always, are creatures of the wild, and generally offensive to everyone and everything. +1 Intimidate, +1 Nature

And finally, a bit of the pantheon, with the footnote that more gods than this exist. These are just the most frequently-cited and worshiped.

Click to reveal.. (Gods and Goddesses of Mote)
Tanann, God of Magic, Wizardry and Secrecy

Even Tanann's own followers are unsure of the god's agenda. Or even his appearance. He appears in tales as a human-shaped cloud of smoke, with glowing red eyes suspended in the form. Those tales are often concerned with Tanann's quest for personal power, which doesn't exactly help his reputation. As far as anyone can tell, he cares little for the affairs of mortals, but some still receive his favor through bizarre rituals. Legend has it that he raised the island of Tanan from the seas by spurring the volcano Tanalus on to erupt.

Sliros, God of Mercy, Vengeance, and the Forsaken

Few gods maintain a significant presence on Mote, but Sliros defies this rule. Some claim that it is proof of Mote's relative unimportance in the scheme of creation, some just point to the strife-torn history of the world. Still, many accounts persist of the god actually walking the surface of Mote, clad as ever in his steel scale armor, bearing his scythe-bladed staff. The god is favored by the lower classes and castes, who he is said to look out for.

Mariona, Goddess of Peace

Mariona's presence on Mote is generally weak, something frequently commented on by historians who fancy themselves as witty. Her boon is most frequently bestowed upon healers and true champions of peace, though dire times have seen a few of her champions take up arms against a greater foe. She is generally seen as a dwarf with a smooth dark face, though few claim to have seen her. Even nonbelievers can be heard calling out to her, usually just as they are being mugged.

Kyrophius, God of Trickery

Kyrophius appears as a lacewing with oddly elf-like features, something which has puzzled followers for aeons. Still, the god finds favor with thieves of all races, and is often considered to be the patron god of the lacewings. Temples to the god are few and far between, at least the public ones. Stories abound of clandestine orders devoted to the God of Trickery, seeking to establish a shadowy order to dominate the affairs of Mote. Such stories are more than likely garbage, probably.

Liea, Goddess of Fire and Stone

Liea's followers tend to gather in sun-scorched valleys and lava-scarred hills. The goddess herself appears as a human with long tresses of molten fire, and eyes full of glowing embers. Her followers tend to be wizards and craftsmen, seeking to channel her power and energy into their own work. As a result, temples to the goddess are often found in the parts of cities where artisans toil at their trades, and among conclaves of wizards.

Phol-phoram, Goddess of the Sun and Stars

Most would hesitate to call Phol-phoram a dragon, though her appearance certainly suggests it. A huge winged reptilian form, her wings are full of bright points of light. Her gaze is said to be brighter than mortals can bear, though few accounts of her manifestations exist. Dragonborn are her most frequent worshippers, though strangely some goblins are drawn to the Goddess's power. Her blessings are subtle and far-reaching.

Imaunte, God(dess?) of Fate

Imaunte is a figure long-shrouded in mystery. While rumors of Kyrophius's deeds are bountiful, hardly anything at all is known about Imaunte. Several ancient spells bear his name, all dealing with the manipulation of mortal minds, a fact not lost on current-day scholars. Some speculate that Imaunte was once a mortal, or at least took the mortal form on Mote, but in truth nothing is known. Few if any temples devoted to Imaunte exist today, though small unattended shrines can be found in larger cities.

More setting information is available upon request. If you are interested in playing, please post what days and times might be better for you (and your timezone!). We'll be using the same calendar things as last time, but the first session is probably still quite a ways off.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh hey. There's also this new addition, which could be fun. So you know how there's that Speed statistic, and it really hasn't meant anything? Take a look at this:

Click to reveal.. (Muahahahaha...)
Code:
(round 1)-*-A__B__C__D__E__F__G__H__I__J__K__L_01[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]02[ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ][ ]03[ ][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][*][ ][a][ ][T][ ]04[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][b][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][*]05[T][ ][ ][T][ ][ ][c][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]06[ ][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ]07[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]08[ ][ ][ ][*][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]09[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]10[ ][T][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][*][ ][W]11[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][3][ ][ ][T][ ][ ][W]12[ ][ ][ ][1][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][W][W]13[ ][ ][ ][ ][2][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][W][W]14[ ][ ][*][ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ][W][W][W]15[ ][ ][ ][ ][4][ ][ ][ ][W][W][W][W]

Grid-based combat is totally possible, and will definitely make appearances in the campaign. It's been tested, and it works.

Originally Posted By: Plaram, master Pyromancer
"What is left for us, but to rage against the fading power of our world? In a world so old that its very name has worn away like so many mountains, what course remains? Were I of such a mind, I would lash the core of Tanalus, and string the rock into a world of my own.

...In our rage, we must see futility. Greatness has fled, and it will not return."

Are all those square brackets really neccesary? Why not use periods (.) to separate empty space?

EDIT:

Modified my suggestion a little. Here's an example. I think it's a lot easier to read.

Code:
-*-A_B_C_D_E_F_G_H_I_J_K_L_01[ . . . . . . . . . . . ]02[ . . . .T. . . . .T. . ]03[ . .T. . . .*. .a. .T. ]04[ . . . . .b. .T. . . .*]05[T. . .T. . .c. . . . . ]06[ . .T. . . . . . . .T. ]07[ . . . . . . . . . . . ]08[ . . .*. . . . . . . . ]09[ . . . . . . . . . . . ]10[ .T. . . . . . . .*. .W]11[ . . . . .3. . .T. . .W]12[ . . .1. . . . . . .W.W]13[ . . . .2. . . . . .W.W]14[ . .*. . . . .T. .W.W.W]15[ . . . .4. . . .W.W.W.W]

Originally Posted By: Nioca
Originally Posted By: w-dueck
I may be able to, but I'm not sure how much leeway I'll be getting from TRL.

...You've got all of one player, and that player is yourself. How does that tie up your time?

Because said character is an example character, and I will be attempting to DM, while pretending that my homemade system is halfway-usable.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos

Code:
(round 1)-*-A__B__C__D__E__F__G__H__I__J__K__L_01[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]02[ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ][ ]03[ ][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][*][ ][a][ ][T][ ]04[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][b][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][*]05[T][ ][ ][T][ ][ ][c][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]06[ ][ ][T][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ]07[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]08[ ][ ][ ][*][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]09[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ]10[ ][T][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][*][ ][W]11[ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][3][ ][ ][T][ ][ ][W]12[ ][ ][ ][1][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][W][W]13[ ][ ][ ][ ][2][ ][ ][ ][ ][ ][W][W]14[ ][ ][*][ ][ ][ ][ ][T][ ][W][W][W]15[ ][ ][ ][ ][4][ ][ ][ ][W][W][W][W]

Hmm. Nd8xc6+!!?(+=).

Of course grid-based combat is possible.

Creator: I think the brackets make the grid a little easier to envision. That's about it. I guess I could use "|" as well. Maybe colons?

Click to reveal..
Code:
-*-A_B_C_D_E_F_G_H_I_J_K_L_01[ : : : : : : : : : : : ]02[ : : : :T: : : : :T: : ]03[ : :T: : : :*: :a: :T: ]04[ : : : : :b: :T: : : :*]05[T: : :T: : :c: : : : : ]06[ : :T: : : : : : : :T: ]07[ : : : : : : : : : : : ]08[ : : :*: : : : : : : : ]09[ : : : : : : : : : : : ]10[ :T: : : : : : : :*: :W]11[ : : : : :3: : :T: : :W]12[ : : :1: : : : : : :W:W]13[ : : : :2: : : : : :W:W]14[ : :*: : : : :T: :W:W:W]15[ : : : :4: : : :W:W:W:W]

Also, something I plan on doing in this thread. Sorta like the device I've used in the Avernum RP, each post I make will have some sort of quote or historical fragment attached to it. Just to add depth to Mote.

Originally Posted By: Keoshor, Sorceress of the Fates
"I see nothing to suggest that our world is even that. Is it not possible that we live on just one fragment of the gods' creation? Yes they still watch over us, but we must remain open to the thought that we are not their favorite sons and daughters. We might even be a mistake, an unintended consequence. Only exploration will reveal the answer."

Oh, but of course, AIMHack. I might actually have to call it that. About time this thing got a name, after all.

Also, Mote now has a page at my website.

Originally Posted By: Gaunik-Da, master illusionist
"Once, an enemy of mine rudely burst the door of my sanctum. While I held her in a stasis, I pried to devise a nightmare. An endless plain, with no beginning or end, lit by a dull and unmoving sun. Into this I cast her. For disturbing my own solitude, I would make solitude her curse."

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
When is this campaign taking place relative to the Labyrinth campaign?

All of the characters from Labyrinth are still alive and not yet decrepit. It's not that far in the future. So yes, depending on where the parties end up, you might actually see land sharks.

(And truthfully, I hope the campaign does eventually get to Ouracasos... there's fun stuff sketched out over there.)

Originally Posted By: Chamulsep, Lord of Pain
For every thing there is a time, and all things must come to an end. I have simply decided that you will end prematurely.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Though, considering how that makes twelve people already, I can drop out all together if need be.

The odds of everyone who said they were interested remaining interested and actually being available to do it by the time the campaign finally starts is extremely low. Even if there are too many people, no one should drop out all together. Having spectators around to fill in for missing players makes the game go much smoother.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Lazarus.
I may stop by and see what's going on if this is taking place over winter break. Not so sure about participating though; I didn't follow the Labyrinth and I'm not familiar with the ruleset.

The rules are simple and public, so don't worry about that part. I'll answer any questions, because the system is still evolving.

Also, it's time to start posting characters. I have received three so far, and if you're interested in participating, I highly recommend that you send me a character, and soon. Currently, there is nobody resembling a tank or a healer. Just sayin'.

First, Vitze the elf: (Sarachim)
Click to reveal.. (Vitze)
Vitze
Female Elf
Alignment: Remorseless

2/3/5, 10HP

Bluff: 4
Streetwise: 3
Magic (Illusions): 3
Magic (Transmutation): 2
Religion: 1
Martial (Throwing Knives): 1

Coolest thing: She once sold an entire case of fake curing potions to the city of Cromk.
Biggest fear: Cromkians.

Next up, Amadan, the hunter: (Nioca)
Click to reveal.. (Amadan)
Name: Amadan Rayton
Alignment: Kind Pragmatist
Race: Human
Deity: Liea

2/5/4, 8 HP

Martial (Bows): 4
Magic (Transmutation): 1
Crafting (Alchemy): 2
Stealth: 2
Nature: 2
Perception: 2
Artifice: 1

And finally, Nixak the mind-mage: (Rowen)
Click to reveal.. (Nixak)
Name: Nixak Isshmath Daralath
Alignment: Manipulative

2/2/7, 8 HP

Magic (Enchantment): 4
Bluff: 2
Intimidate: 2
Stealth: 3
Perception: 1
Diplomacy: 1

So yeah. Really, really squishy. Tanks and healers would help this party immensely.

Originally Posted By: Unknown
The city of Sarden is one of those rarities where a large group of unrelated scoundrels band together for their mutual defense and profit. You would think that a city of thieves would disband immediately in disorder, but time and time again, strong personalities hold the loose association together. Naturally, any civilized person would do well to stay far away. Truly a wonder in this world nonetheless.

Well, so far we only have 4 characters, counting Excalibur's. 5 would make an acceptable party, though eventually I would be willing to run two parties at once.

Introducing Kundak Skylark, our first dragonborn:

Click to reveal.. (Kundak)
Name: Kundak Skylark

Race: Dragonborn

Religion: Phol-Phoram

Alignment: Magnanimous

Strength: 2

Dexterity: 2

Intelligence: 6

HP: 10

Magic (Conjuration): 4

First Aid: 4

Martial (Shuriken): 2

Magic (Divination): 1

Originally Posted By: Keoshor, Sorceress of the Fates
Our future is as our past. Dim, largely unknown, and written by the triumphant.

An average session lasts something like 5 hours. At best, we do one session per week, on whatever day works best for the largest number of people. So, if you've ever played D&D in real life, it's not any worse than that.

Truthfully, the longest sessions I've sat in on have all been real-life. And awesome. So don't worry, the time flies.

Also, introducing, Eriman the eccentric wizard: (Duck)

Click to reveal.. (Eriman)
Name: Eriman

Race: Human (Male)

Alignment: Eccentric

Dexterity: 3

Intelligence: 5

HP: 10

Streetwise: 1

Intimidate: 1

Magic-Illusion: 2

Magic-Evocation: 3

Magic-Divination: 3

Magic-Enchantment: 1

Stealth: 1

The Flamekeeper Conclave hopes to follow in the great Plaram's footsteps, by drawing power from the core of Tanalus. The simple fact that they associate themselves with that madman is enough reason to distrust them, but should they actually emulate his unhinged manner, we would do well to pray. I only take solace in that they are on far away Tanan.

Two new characters have been submitted, along with a third pending minor mechanical tweaks.

First, Telaverin, the elven mercenary: (w-dueck)

Click to reveal.. (Telaverin)
Name: Telaverin

Race: Elvin

Alignment: Whoever pays more

Strength: 4

Intelligence: 3

Speed: 5

Health: 10/10

Stamina: 10/10

Bluff: 4

Streetwise: 3

Martial-Swords: 2

Magic-Necromancy: 1

Theivery: 2

Next, Zkaashj the lacewing necromancer: (Bloodmoon)

Click to reveal.. (Zkaashj)
Name: Zkaashj

Race: Lacewing

Pantheon : Kyrophius

Alignment : Secretive

Intelligence: 5

Speed: 5

Health: 10/10

Stamina: 10/10

Magic (Necromancy): 4

History: 3

Magic (Evocation): 2

Martial(Glaive) : 2

Thievery: 1

Wow, you guys and the names... anyway. Soon, I'll show my hand on the two adventures that you can choose from, and we'll get into scheduling and things eventually. When Creator's character gets its minor modifications, that'll make three tank-ish characters. Another healer would not go amiss.

And for the record, I think I'm going to cap entries at ten, with five in each party. So that means two more spots are up for grabs at the moment. Of course, I reserve the right to change up the roster if scheduling becomes particularly nightmarish.

Originally Posted By: Lord Hakkel of Quera
It is up to all of us, whether elf, dwarf, or even human, to protect what few bastions of civilization remain on our ember of a world. Until the glorious day when peace reigns over the islands, some of us must maintain a constant vigil. Lest the darkness overcome us.

Hm... well, I will wait until I hear back from Bloodmoon on that one. But for now, we have our first goblin character, Boregloaf the guard: (Dikiyoba)

Click to reveal.. (Boregloaf)
Name: Boregloaf Ghung

Race: Goblin

Alignment: Stoic

Strength: 5

Intelligence: 3

HP: 8

Martial (sword): 4

Streetwise: 2

Bluff: 2

Intimidate: 2

Nature: 1

More information on the adventures will be posted as soon as I can get half-decent copies of my maps uploaded.

EDIT: Bloodmoon's character has been fixed. Also, more characters! First, we have Dantius's mage, Kurex:

Click to reveal.. (Kurex)
Name: Kurex

Alignment: Magnificent Bastard

Deity: Imaunte

Intelligence: 4

HP: 8

Magic (Evocation): 4

Martial (Sword): 2

Artifice: 2

Diplomacy: 2

Streetwise: 1

Stealth: 1

Perception: 1

Next, we have Creator's dragonborn swordsman, Sss-Tkss:

Click to reveal.. (Sss-Tkss)
Name: Sss-Tkss (aka Sticks)

Race: Dragonborn

Alignment: Destroyer of Evil

Patron: Liea

Intelligence: 2

HP: 12

Martial (Swords): 5

First Aid: 2

Religion: 1

Legends say that one of Chamulsep's unholy vassals took up residence in the swamps of Risia. So much blood was shed by the heroes who deposed him that the marshlands were dyed red. Thus they are known today as the Blood Marsh, and are forever unhallowed.

Alright, heads-up. This post is longish, and yes I'm double-posting, but it's important. This is the post where I explain the two adventures available at the start of the campaign. Before I even begin describing them, a few notes:

• You have to pick one adventure. You won't be able to switch mid-campaign unless you make a new character to join the other party.
  • The adventures take place on different islands. See above.
  • My aim is to have both parties reach a similar power level by the conclusion of each adventure, so if all of this is still going by that time, all characters would (probably) be eligible for whatever comes next.

That clear? Awesome. Moving on, we need to talk about times. Click here. I've set up a calendar thing, but ignore the dates. Imagine that the stretch of time represented there is an average week, and put down the times that you are usually available during an average week. If you're in school, fill it out like it's a school week. If you work, fill it out like it's a normal work week. Yes, it's going to get messy, but don't worry, that's my problem not yours. Also, I reserve the right to change my availability, because I'm the DM and I'm looking for a job. tongue

Got that? Okay, next, I can talk about the actual adventures. The fun part, remember?

Adventure Choice #1: Selos and the Oracle

This adventure takes place on the island of Selos (map!), and begins in the town of Quera. Selos is an island with several major settlements along the coasts, and many smaller ones located farther inland. Two mountain ranges fill out the center of the island, with low hills ranging between them. The rest of the island is primarily jungle and temperate forest.

PCs will begin in the town of Quera, so they should be able to account for their presence there somehow. Quera is a walled town of moderate size (several hundred people), and it is "ruled" by Lord Hakkel, an aging elf noble of a well-reputed lineage. He keeps the city relatively peaceful, though there are occasional attacks by bandits or monsters. This relative peace is the major distinguishing feature of Quera, as it is generally unremarkable in every other way.

As one of the larger islands, Selos has more semi-permanent and permanent settlements. Some are vast cities, some are humble villages that have just gotten lucky. As long as you stay close to the coasts, civilization is rarely that far away.

Click to reveal.. (The proper intro...)
Every six years, the Concordance festival celebrates the peace of the gods, reached long ago when the feuding deities were pacified by a group of mortal supplicants. Cities across Selos celebrate with elaborate ceremonies and wild parties, a rare time of peace in these dark times.

The Concordance is also the best time for those with the means to make the pilgrimage to the Oracle at E'Tarn, or so it is said. And for those with the means but not the devotion, like Lord Hakkel of Quera, the pilgrimage is carried out by proxy.

This particular Concordance carries special weight for Hakkel. In his old age, he lacks an heir, and he believes the Oracle will choose one for him. Regardless of whether or not this is true, he has assembled a party to carry out the task for him.

You were unsurprised when you heard that Zarusa, the wizard counsel to Hakkel, was to lead the pilgrimage. However, you were quite surprised when Zarusa chose you to help guard the pilgrims. A great honor, of course.

Zarusa is a pleasant enough woman, a tall and wiry spitfire who could, if she wished, actually spit fire. When you were chosen at the opening ceremonies of the festival's first day, she didn't bother to explain her reasoning. Perhaps when the crowds clear you will be able to find out...

What to expect in this adventure:

• Traveling across the wilderness.
  • Lots of NPCs, not all of them friendly.
  • Outdoor combat. The grid probably won't get used that much.
  • Potential political intrigue.

Adventure Choice #2: The Blood Marsh

This adventure takes place on the island of Risis (map!), and begins in the town of Mekos. Risis is a much smaller island with only two permanent settlements on it. The rest of the island is jungle and swamp, and generally inhospitable to civilization.

PCs will begin in the town of Mekos, so they should be able to account for their presence there. Mekos (and Risia, for that matter) are relatively small port towns, lacking city walls or any political affiliations. The island is generally seen as a pit stop between other ports, and an undesirable one at that.

Risis's claim to fame is that the infamous necromancer Chamulsep installed one of his more powerful underlings in a complex at the center of the swamp. The battles to unseat this minion (whose name has been lost to time) were so fierce that the marsh itself is said to be stained with blood, earning it the nickname The Blood Marsh. True to the tale, the marsh does appear reddish in person. And now, the actual intro for the adventure:

Click to reveal.. (The proper intro...)
Something ancient lurks in the swamps of Risia. Something powerful. Something terrible. This much has been known by your people for centuries.

In your hometown of Mekos, these tales are for scaring children. But lately, the entire village is scared.

It started quietly. Finnar, the brewer's daughter, disappeared one night. A search party was formed, combing the nearby swamps, but nothing was concluded. The town mourned. But then similar disappearances started occurring, and tales of the Blood Marsh began circulating again.

Legends speak of the Blood Marsh, found in the deepest reaches of Risia's swamplands. The waters themselves have been dyed red by the blood of countless dead heroes, and a decrepit temple is said to lurk in the deeps, half-buried.

As for the evil housed by that temple, the stories vary wildly. All you know is that the rest of the village is growing restless, and searching the surrounding swamps has been fruitless. The elders of the village are calling for the bravest to dive deep into the swamplands, and seek out the Blood Marsh.

Fancying yourselves as brave, you heeded the call...

What to expect in this adventure:

• Lots of dungeon-delving.
  • Relatively few NPCs, and hardly any friendly ones.
  • Indoor combat. There will be lots of gridwork, most likely.
  • Horrible, dark monsters that would make necromancers cringe.

Alright, so what we've got so far... the people who prefer Selos:

-Boregloaf (Dikiyoba)

-Kundak (Excalibur)

-Zkaashj (Bloodmoon)

-Nixak (Rowen)

-Vitze (Sarachim)

...that's one tanking healer, one normal tank, one rogue, and two mages. Hunh. Nice.

Then, for The Blood Marsh:

-Sss-Tkss (Creator)

-Amadan (Nioca)

-Kurex (Dantius)

...one tank, one archer, one mage. Bear in mind, if schedules end up being totally incompatible, people might want/need to switch adventures. But for now, hey, this doesn't look half bad. And remember, if you haven't filled out the calendar thing, please do so. I'll make sense of it later.

Originally Posted By: Egues-Tol, Necromancer
It should come as no surprise that even aeons after the defeat of Chamulsep, the necromantic arts have yet to regain their stature among the civilized people of this world. I have seen novices shunned, berated, even killed by ignorant and easily-frightened peasants. I understand their fear, but one day they must come to recognize that not all who practice our craft are insane monsters. Surely, a great deal are, but not all of us!