A6 - Western Excavation entrance

Guinness

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Did you get the quest from Meryhew? That should set the flag so you can get in to the Western Excavation. Check your quest list since it's easy to forget asking for a quest.

Once you've turned in two of the quests, the third quest actually gets erased from your quest list. You're supposed to still be able to do them by reporting directly to the person who needs the quest done, but in this case there may legitimately be an error in the game's logic.

Okay, I edited the script so you can order the stupid soldier to open the gates when you outrank him. You only meet this condition if you skipped the quest the first time and are affected by the bug.

If you have this problem, place the following code in /Avernum 6/Avernum 6 Files/Scripts/z07westexcadlg.txt

Code:
begintalknode 36;	state = 30;	nextstate = -1;	condition = gf(98,10) == 0 && gf(170,0) >= 2;	question = "I order you to open the gates.";	text1 = "_Ahhhh ... Well, I suppose you wouldn't make the walk if you didn't have business here._";	text2 = "Belos shouts a command and, a minute later, the gates begin to slowly open. _Welcome to the excavation ... sir._";	code =		sf(98,10,1);	break;

• 4 weeks later...

The same thing happened with the helping Patrick's tower quest in the first round of Meryhew quests (1.0.1).

I took the first two quests and turned them in, then got reassigned to the portal. You can't receive the Patrick's Tower quest anymore, and when I went to talk to Solberg, he said you need orders to help him.

Sure, it's technically not a bug - the game doesn't need to let you start a quest you weren't assigned, but you can do the other 2 without being assigned (by Meryhew, that is).

• 2 months later...

I got Kelner to give me the quest by changing line 489 of z1311magidlg.txt (Windows version if it matters).

Code:
begintalknode 34;	state = 30;	nextstate = 36;	condition = (gf(177,4) == 1 || gf(170,1) > 14) && gf(167,17) < 2; 	question = "I am here to help you recover some records.";

to:

Code:
begintalknode 34;	state = 30;	nextstate = 36;	condition = (gf(177,4) == 1 || gf(170,1) > 14) && gf(167,17) < 3; 	question = "I am here to help you recover some records.";

Edit: However, the dialog option shows up even after I complete the quest, so apparently that's not all I need.