Favorite Plauge?

Spring

I like the troglo, cause of their design. Their quest isn't too difficult, and after I attack the castle. The slimes and the crockoack (?) are nice too. I hate the giants cause they throw rocks, it doesn't make so much damages, but it takes time...

Actually, I never finished the trilogy, cause I'm stuck in the Golem factory...So, I hate them too !

I like the roaches. They're the only plague with any subtlety whatsoever from a plot perspective, and the Filth Factory is very fun to go through.

—Alorael, who might put the golems first in Exile. Unfortunately, the Tower of Shifting Floors was a more irritating chaotic mess than the lasers could ever hope to produce.

I'd have to say the Slime plague. Its most visible in its devestation on the surrounding area, and the NPC's have some great stories about previous slime invasions. I remember a scripted event or two where slimes oozed through the cracks in town's walls and the soldiers rushed out to meet them on the "Field of Battle"

Of course, other plagues might be just as 'Colorful' But i never got too far into Avernum/Exile 3 without cheating. And when I cheat, i don't talk to NPC's or really explore my environment, its just a killfest.

Troglo personally definitely . . .

I have kind of forgotten how I did this . . . many months back already . . . but just because it is nearest to our own historical era.

(** Unpleasanter Alert! - Please stop reading at this point if you do not enjoy babblings ^^)

Many other R.P.G.s refer to Troglodytes as some sort of fish-man type thing. But in fact reference to Troglodytes dates back to those Greek writers when people liked to talk about fantasy tales of the unknown others. Big guys like Aristotles and Herodotos described the Troglos in detail. . .generally as 'cave dwellers' in the 'east'. It must have some exciting foundation for the formation of this historic-mythological people. . . (see 1911 Britanica for instance - Hey its not only you and me gaming maniacs who talk about this).

In Exile Series, interestingly, Troglos seems to be pictured as a sort of 'Mongolian-Indians' as Victorian British would say from their experience in India. . . with mixed attitude of awe and contempt. . . Strong evidence from the 'Khazi' which according to Hobson-Jobson is <a title of Ministers of State used in Nepal and Sikkim, spelt Kazee or Cazee from Arabic> but more widely used as a local religio-political leaders among 'Indian' influenced world.

Anyway, Troglodytes were always related to some sort of the 'oriental fantasy' rather than fish-men and I can think of no better embodiment than in EXILE.

(Hey anyone with more information on Troglos? e-mail and enighten me pls)

The word troglodyte means cave-dweller and comes from the Greek word for cave, so that definition makes more sense than fish-men (not a meaning I've ever come across). Jeff's troglodytes always struck me more as militant, somewhat bestial humanoids who enjoy killing, maiming, and destroying. The only real evidence for any real-world basis is the word "khazi," and that is arguable. He could have just taken an uncommon word and used it, or it could be either entirely coincidental or subconscious like the word "nephilim" for cat people.

—Alorael, who certainly doesn't see any evidence of Indian culture among the troglos. The only trace of Mongol in them is their tendency towards mass violence, which could be likened to the Mongol hordes. Every invading army would seem Mongolian by that reasoning, though.

Many Thanks Alorael, I wonder whether keeping this topic suit this particular thread. . . . reference to Troglodytes being fish-men I think I got from the Realmz and the Might and Magic . . . not sure better check . . . but the word Khazi should no doubt be credited to the word spelt in the same way in Indian literature but originally came from Arab and used in the Arabian Nights as well. . . well who knows what others used . . . About Nephilim, Yes, that reminds me that the name appears in the Genesis and some other OTs in the Bible, curiously though, as giants. Funny though, now my mind is fixed on Nephils being cats. No idea when or how they became cat people. Any one? It might be an interesting topic . . . ooops sorry, I don't think this should be in this string.

They are often described as feline or cat-like, the pejorative term for them is "kitties" (more frequently in E1 than E2 and E3), and they have fur. They don't really seem all that avian to me...

—Alorael, who would be interested in knowing what memory suggested bird people.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...