Hypothetically Speaking

Balladeer

This question is more for the opinions of the adult generation here.

If you were an employer looking for someone to fill the job of Web Designer or the like and your applicant got their Technology degree from an online University, would it hold as much weight as someone with the same degree from an on campus University?

I qualify for the pell grant but traveling to college for my interests just isn't feasible. Wondering if I should go ahead and jump into furthering my education or just let the opportunity pass.

I would make sure it's accredited but is there a question of who accredits a school?

The Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS) for the Art Institute of Philadelphia and the Higher Learning Commission for the University of Phoenix. These two schools are at the top of the advertisement list anyway.

It's only WikiAnswers, but I found a question on there about the ACICS, and here is the answer given there, FWIW:

The preferred accreditation and the one you should be looking for is the regional accreditation. With a regional accreditation the coursework and degree you complete will be recognized by all other colleges and universities as well as employers. The six regional accrediting agencies and their areas of responsibility are indicted below. Make sure the school you choose is accredited by one of these agencies.

Regional Accreditation Agencies

· Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools - Educational institutions in New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the US Virgin Islands, as well as schools for American children in Europe, North Africa, and the Middle East.

· New England Association of Schools and Colleges - Educational institutions in the six New England states (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont).

· North Central Association of Colleges and Schools - Educational institutions in Arkansas, Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, Nebraska, Ohio, Oklahoma, New Mexico, South Dakota, Wisconsin, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

· Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities - Postsecondary institutions (colleges and universities) in Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and Washington.

· Western Association of Schools and Colleges - Educational institutions in California, Hawaii, Guam, American Samoa, Micronesia, Palau, and Northern Marianas Islands.

· Southern Association of Colleges and Schools - Educational institutions in Virginia, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee and Texas.

The ever-convenient Wicked- er...Wikipedia also has some potentially helpful comments: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Educational_accreditation

In general, it would appear that the ACICS accreditation is not...especially prestigious, at least.

Jewels - University of Phoenix is a FOR-PROFIT corporation. There was a thing on the news about them recently, with highlights on deceptive advertising. I think you would be better off looking at your local community college, even if there is some travel. Think of it as an opportunity for alone time.

Originally Posted By: Poached Salmon
Jewels - University of Phoenix is a FOR-PROFIT corporation. There was a thing on the news about them recently, with highlights on deceptive advertising. I think you would be better off looking at your local community college, even if there is some travel. Think of it as an opportunity for alone time.

This, essentially.

When you apply for a web designer position I want to see your work. Do the sites you design have a fingerprint, do they look good? Also, as this is certainly a position where some creativity is in demand, I would look into other creative things you do, e.g. do you write, act, play an instrument, that sort of stuff. But that's just me ;-)

Originally Posted By: Monroe
Originally Posted By: Poached Salmon
University of Phoenix is a FOR-PROFIT corporation.
Aren't most of the best institutions of higher learning in America for-profit?

No? Almost all are non-profit. They try to make money, of course, but they're non-profit organizations.

—Alorael, who thinks this may in part just be due to the fact that it's easier to get and keep money for your university or college if you run it as a non-profit.

Actually, breaking a finger doesn't hurt that bad. Nalyd broke his and didn't even notice. Then it healed wonky because Nalyd thought that something broken would hurt more than this and didn't get it set or anything. And now his pinky has a huge swollen joint and can't straighten. He could have it rebroken, but it's not worth it for just a pinky.

Yeah, I'm with Nalyd. It didn't hurt all that much. Dislocating my kneecap was much worse. When I hit it, I heard it snap and thought it was my knuckle popping and that I had sprained it till it started swelling up at an odd angle. It feels fine unless I try to move it. They prescribed some codine but I haven't needed anything.

I'm just hoping I'll get all motor function back when it heals. Hard to play viola without it.