Avernum 0

Randomizer

Well Jeff did say that there wouldn't be an Avernum 7. But here in his blog, he mentions a possible prequel to the series maybe being done in the future. Although 4 to 5 years is a lifetime in the computer industry.

Quote:
(Though, actually, I have a really cool idea for Avernum Zero. Basically I one-off prequel set in the years before the first game. Maybe in four or five years, if I think I can come up with something actually good, I'll go back to the well one more time.)

Oh well a return to Avernum is possible along with whatever the new game will be and the remakes.

I was going to comment on this when I first saw it, but I declined.

I like the idea, though I'm more excited to see what Jeff comes up with for the next series. The early days of Avernum were definitely an interesting time, if the various bits and pieces we hear during the trilogies are any indication.

Originally Posted By: Dantius
Oh dear. Another George Lucas in the making.

...Let Avernum rest for a little while. Come back in 2012, fine, but until then, something new would be nice.

Now, you see, that's exactly what he just said. If you had read the rest of the quote, you would've seen that Jeff does not plan on doing this next year.

I'm looking forward to something entirely new as well, but Jeff certainly hasn't gone very wrong with Avernum. The over-arching inter-game plot fell apart a bit after A3, though. Taking Jeff's new engine ideas and putting them back into exciting frontier Avernum sounds good to me.

—Alorael, who suspects Jeff's own feelings are not unlike Dantius's, large text and all. Also note that he is not Lucas yet, as his sequels have far less itis.

It depends a good bit on where you go to college and what classes you're taking (and whether you decide to go on to grad school!), but chances are you'll have a good bit flexible time as an undergrad, at least.

The question is whether you'll really want to spend it all playing computer games. I'd recommend NOT doing that...

Grad school is another matter entirely, but I've found a good computer game, like Nethergate: Resurrection, for example ( smile ) is good way to relax after hundreds of pages of assigned are about to drive me bonkers.

And think a game set in early Avernum sounds quite interesting. I wonder if it would be early as in First Expedition discover of Avernum early, or early as in first batch of "criminals" to be banished early or early as in contemporary of Erika/Rone/Solberg but before Avernum 1 early?

I think Avernum 0 should start with the First Expedition, cause I've always found them very intriguing....especially all the little clues and stories that you find about them through the series. It will probably focus on Erika/Rone/Solberg though, but that's pretty interesting too so either way I'll be happy.

I can wait a little bit for it though, I want to see a new game first. smile

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
As has been discussed before, the problem with a First Expedition game is that we already know that everyone in the First Expedition died. Of course, it's not like Jeff hasn't retconned things before, but...

So, sometime between the First Expedition and Avernum 1 is the timeframe. Personally, I believe it will probably be something involving the founding of Avernum, which would be a very cool add-on to the series.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
As has been discussed before, the problem with a First Expedition game is that we already know that everyone in the First Expedition died. Of course, it's not like Jeff hasn't retconned things before, but...

But we don't know if there were more expeditions sent down. Maybe it could be a rescue mission for the lost expedition.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Originally Posted By: Master1
I'll be in college, so I can play games for hours on end!

Heh... hehe...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh. Sorry. Being awake 40 hours studying tends to make me weird. tongue

It's possible to play games and party all you want. But the thing people don't understand is that 1 week before a midterm or two before a final you need to be studying 8 hours or more a day. It's called making use of your time. There's a time to play and time to work.

Most midterms and finals occur close together if not the same day, so it's only a short period of time one actually needs to do any work. Unless you're in a lame 2 midterm course.

Edit: The above probably doesn't apply to Math or Physics unless you're a savant.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Good point... how else would they know they died?

That's what the brooches were for. They were originally meant as communication devices, after all: presumably the Empire got enough information from each expedition member before their deaths to draw the obvious conclusion about what had happened.

Some classes require more time than others. Specifically, you will need to spend all of your freetime studying if you want to pass your science courses. Anyone who says otherwise is either lying or deserves a shotgun to the gonads.

Avernum 0 is the last thing I want to see right now. It might be interesting, but I'm glad he isn't considering it in the near future.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
See, you think that now. You'll see.

My brother up at F&M always plays Diablo II when he's at work. I guess student work in the HR department doesn't require much time. And it all depends on where you go.

Originally Posted By: Dakkanor
my older sister goes to uni and has spends alot of time in recreation

What state does that particular "I" stand for? [prejudice]If it's I for Iowa, then your sister has class.[/prejudice]

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Oh. Sorry. Being awake 40 hours studying tends to make me weird. tongue

You see, I'm already weird, so it's not a problem. smile

Depending upon your intelligence, major, and course load, you can easily spend 20-30 hours per week gaming.

I'd like to see for Avernum 0 the expelling of the demons from Avernum ending with final battle to imprison Grah-Hoth.

Solberg - "I need some idiots, I mean adventurers to distract Grah-Hoth while we cast a spell to imprison him in this bottle. You, you, you and you come with me." Solberg points to your party. Great another suicide mission.

What state does that particular "I" stand for? [prejudice]If it's I for Iowa, then your sister has class.[/prejudice]

i'm pretty sure it's i for iversity

you know, as in uni-versity

Interesting notion Jeff has. I'd like to see it done without mention of Avernum at all, but just from the POV of the Empire being oppressive on the surface, with people disappearing as they express dissent. There would really be no call to go underground at all, except for a passing reference that the Empire is searching for a prison. Hmm. Even more interesting if he did it Nethergate fashion, allowing you to pick Empire or dissident.

It might take 5 or so years to forget that he's more or less done this in Geneforge and ASR.

Avernum the bunch of caves almost certainly predates Avernum the kingdom. The explorers had to call it something in their reports, and the Emperor had to banish people to somewhere, not just from the Empire.

—Alorael, who would find it perfectly reasonable if "Avernum" were the name given to that place to which neighbors kept getting packed off by the common people. Word of mouth can be a powerful thing, and it's a more useful name than the Great Maze of Twisty Caves, All Alike. Or perhaps the Colossal Caverns.

Well i say uni short for university but h=the code for her uni is VUW work that one out

Hm... clearly that just lacked the right mojo... let me try again.

Vastly Unstable Wharfs?

Vitally Useful Whirligigs?

Very Unlikely Whiles?

Various Urban Whelps?

Verifiable Unoriginal Wills?

Vivid Ululation Whoop?

Vexing Underground Werewolves?

Vampiric Ugandan Warts?

Vultures Using Whence?

Vipers Usurping Warriors?

Vocally Understood Wards?

I can do this all day, you know. Or, I could just save everyone the trip to Google and guess Victorian University of Wellington.

EDIT: Salmon is correct, I originally ran VUM instead of VUW. The above sarcasm has been changed to reflect this.

Is there a thread where one could suggest new ideas to avernum-series (or whatever there is next on to-do list), changes to gameplay, new features, etc.?

I'll just write my idea here in case of sudden amnesia.

If there ever is going to be A0, I would like to see much more item making. Haven't played A5 or A6 but A4 had item making in some extend. Like bringing cavewood, some herbs and emerald to make a wand. Like if you kill a rat you would get a small piece of poor-quality leather and killing a dragon would yield ûber-quality leather enough to make armors for small army. And killing magically protected skeleton would get you magically enhanced bones which you could take to a smith and have him do a very good bonespear.

Now if the game would take place, say, time after first expedition and before defeating the what-ever-named-demon, armors and weapons would be very rary so it would make sense to try and make items whatever material possible. I mean they did have stone swords at first.

Get the idea? Good because its way past my bedtime and I could go on and on about this.