DRM Question

Faithful

Hey all, I have a question.

I was just on GamersGate and noticed that it listed Genoforge 5 so I took a look at it. When I did it stated that it carries SecuRom as a form of DRM.

If I purchase games directly from Spiderweb, do the games still have SecuRom?

Are the games sold here DRM Free? I really like supporting developers that produce DRM Free games and am now a bit confused about the various series here.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I don't believe so. The registration process for the games I've bought (which don't include Geneforge 5 as yet) is straightforward and non-evil. You can also email Jeff and request a new code if you have to reinstall later.

Just for that reason, I recommend buying from SW directly since they're likely to be more supportive and friendly than a large distributor. smile

SW games have no real DRM as such: when you register the game, your registration information is stored in a preference file that doesn't have any kind of copy protection on it. Transferring this file over to a new computer (providing they're running the same operating system) will usually register the game on the new computer, which is pretty convenient if you want to switch computers. (Or you can just ask Jeff for a new registration code; as long as you know the original name and address you registered under, he will do this for you as many times as you like, free of charge.)

Obviously, Jeff is relying on you not to transfer your registration information to anyone else's computer. So please don't do that.

Jeff has explained his attitude towards piracy and trying to prevent it several times. In short, he hates it but acknowledges that it's impossible to prevent and that draconian DRM just makes paying customers unhappy. Thus, his registration system: non-trivial enough that there's incentive to register, trivial enough that you don't have to think about it after registering.

—Alorael, who thinks this is a good idea. Of course, DRM probably does create a few more customers, but then someone has to implement DRM, which has a cost attached.

Actually sliced bread has only been available for sale in the past 100 years, although that is mostly because people were thought to be able to slice their own bread...so...yeah, best thing since non sliced bread, but it actually does not matter because the computer came after both and i think everyone should use that as the basis, since computers or internet also could be used are both obviously better than sliced or otherwise made bread.

Do i rant to much?

Originally Posted By: Kyxzxy
since computers or internet also could be used are both obviously better than sliced or otherwise made bread.

Dikiyoba disagrees. Computers taste terrible toasted and spread with butter and a pinch of cinnamon and sugar. Also, Dikiyoba sees pictures on the Internet quite frequently and yet been unable to sell it for an insane amount of money. Bread is clearly better.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Computers taste terrible toasted and spread with butter and a pinch of cinnamon and sugar.
I hope that's not the voice of experience talking.

But there's no denying the sweet revenge when your hard drive crashes with no data recovery possible, and you toss your computer from the roof of a ten-story building.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Bread is clearly better.

Or is bread clearly butter? Perhaps clearly better with butter?

Off topic, but the whole better butter thing reminds me of the old Culvers slogan for you midwesterners. "A better brand of beef makes a butter burger better."

1. "Greatest invention since sliced bread" could just mean it's the greatest thing in a while, but not ever. That's a meaningful distinction, you know.

2. Sliced bread significantly predates pre-sliced bread. And while rolls and biscuits and such are indeed delicious, sandwiches and slices with spreads are important innovations.

—Alorael, who is amused by the English trivia brought up by this thread.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
But there's no denying the sweet revenge when your hard drive crashes with no data recovery possible, and you toss your computer from the roof of a ten-story building.

The computer doesn't care, though. You, on the other hand, are now short a computer. It's debatable who won that round. wink

Thanks guys for the replies.

I must say though, I am at a bit of a loss as there are so many posts and not all agree with one another.

As best I can tell buying form Spiderweb directly carries some sort of DRM but it is very mild in the form of a key that allows you to play the game.

I am not sure why one would need to contact Spiderweb to receive another if the game can be installed any number of times with the one code.

I only play the game on one computer and typically only download games one time and then burn them to CD/DVD to reinstall if I reformat or simply uninstall and then want to play again later and reinstall.

If I get a physical copy of the game do I need the CD in the drive to play?

Anyway, thanks for a bit of direction on this topic, but if there is a definitive answer to the DRM question it would be great to know it.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Originally Posted By: The Mystic

The computer doesn't care, though. You, on the other hand, are now short a computer. It's debatable who won that round. wink
Then again, whoever said I actually threw a computer off a building? To be honest, I'd never do that to a computer no matter how much it frustrated me, although the crash landing would be rather satisfying.

Faithful:

The confusion is over what qualifies as "DRM". Spiderweb Games (when purchased directly from Spiderweb Software) have no DRM. You never have to play with a CD inserted, or with an active internet connection.

You DO have to enter a registration key ONCE per computer. Basically, this key is particular to the computer you installed the game on -- if you put it on another computer (or another OS on the same computer), it will generate a different registration code and you will need to get a new key to unlock it. Spiderweb provides these free of charge to registered users. That's the extent of SW's anti-piracy measures, which don't really qualify as DRM.

Originally Posted By: Faithful
I am not sure why one would need to contact Spiderweb to receive another if the game can be installed any number of times with the one code.

It has a randomized code each time it's installed. That's why you'd need to contact Jeff for a new key.

Quote:

Nope. The game has to be installed on your computer whether you have the CD or not. But having the CD is a nice back-up.

Quote:
Anyway, thanks for a bit of direction on this topic, but if there is a definitive answer to the DRM question it would be great to know it.

(Slarty answered this better)

If your definition of DRM is something that monitors hardware and will generally lock the product out if you copy or move it to another computer (or even on a few hardware changes), and is restrictive on how many times you can activate, then no. So long as you make sure to include the preferences file, you can move it to another computer.

If it simply means something that ensures that you did buy the game, then yes. It's a simple registration code.

Originally Posted By: Faithful
Thanks guys for the replies.

I must say though, I am at a bit of a loss as there are so many posts and not all agree with one another.

As best I can tell buying form Spiderweb directly carries some sort of DRM but it is very mild in the form of a key that allows you to play the game.

I would not call that DRM but paying for your product instead. It's a bit like reading a couple of pages in a bookstore to see if you like the book before you buy it.

You will want to get a new key if, by accident, you lost your copy of the game or the key. If you redownload the new copy will create a different number with which your old license key will not work.

Quote:
I only play the game on one computer and typically only download games one time and then burn them to CD/DVD to reinstall if I reformat or simply uninstall and then want to play again later and reinstall.

No, only for the installation. That would be DRM of some sort, albeit the old, dongle-like variant.

My stance is SW does not implement DRM but gives you something for free. If you like it you may buy more.

edit: Not bad. two replies while I wrote this. Not bad at all.

Post-dates. Sigh. After all the trivial pursuits, I go and do that. Besides that prefix error, though, my point stands. Such as it is.

—Alorael, who firmly believes that demolishing a computer just liberates the machine spirits within. It's a definite victory for them. And they'll probably grow up to be gremlins and rot all your bits, too.

Quote:
A better lesson in general would be: don't buy from big retailers.

Sooooo true. They don't have time to look at what the consumer needs. As long as they sell, they're fine. Say bye-bye to "TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE" as we know it. They sold to you already, and have no interest in a refund.

~Artemis and buying things. Only on "Sorority life," Because I can successfully pretend to be a rich sorority girl. Let me tell 'ya, if I were rich, I'd be good at it.

"Ya" is not a contraction.

Big retailers are (almost) never run by one person. They are run by committee and often beholden to their stockholders. The corporation is rich. The top-level employees probably also get rich. It's hard to point a finger at one particular person and blame him or her for all the evils of the company.

—Alorael, who also can't jump on the "hate big companies" bandwagon. Yes, some have terrible practices. That's not an inherent truth of large corporations, as true as that may seem sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Verbose PDN is verboten.
—Alorael, who also can't jump on the "hate big companies" bandwagon. Yes, some have terrible practices. That's not an inherent truth of large corporations, as true as that may seem sometimes.

Seconded. All of it. It'd also be pretty hypocritical of me to do otherwise - I purchase LPs and CDs from a large chain (when they carry the ones I want - very often I do have to go to smaller shops, or even order direct from the artist, but my first choice is always the big chain because it's convenient and cheaper). I own a computer produced by a large company and it runs a Microsoft OS. And I work for the largest supermarket chain in my country.

Yeah, i tasted some and it was like awsome, but then the turles made me give it back, not awsome experience. DO NOT take any from them, much better to just wait by the door and forcefully get it from any new members. another option is to start thinking slightly logically then eat that, but it's just not the same eating your own sanity, nope. best option then is to assault the first new person that comees in and take their sanity, the fluffy turtles will dislike that, but have not claimed it by then so they can just simmer in jealousy