Name spelling question

llloyd

Originally Posted By: Definitively Off-Topic
—Alorael, who also recommends IPA. Nobody will pronounce it right, but nobody will have an excuse to get it wrong either.

I've had to fill out official forms before where I was required to write the pronunciation of my name using IPA symbols.

Originally Posted By: Thuryl
I've had to fill out official forms before where I was required to write the pronunciation of my name using IPA symbols.
Really? Did they expect you to be familiar with IPA, or did they give you a key?

Originally Posted By: llloyd
the first i being in Arial Unicode MS.
...uh, what?

Or in any other font which includes the character lowercase i, assumedly. Particularly since, as best I can tell, both i characters in your post are identical, being the code point U+0069, and thus no matter what font you use (excepting fancy behavior like the automatic application of ligatures) they will appear identical. Also, I'm not aware of that character having a particularly special appearance in the Arial typeface or the Microsoft Unicode Arial font specifically. In fact, I just tested, and the only difference from my system's Helvetica glyph is a slightly different height and baseline.

You're wrong, though only in the details.

The a and i are separate symbols, one of which makes an ah sound, the other of which makes an ee sound. There is no IPA symbol for the eye sound, because it's a diphthong, so you simply combine a with i to get the desired sound.

THAT...is...awsome

i think, uh.....yeah it is, combination of two sounds to make an eye sound, much different than the sound made when your eye sound gets poked. that would be very bad, leaving you with pronunciation problems having to do with any word containing the letter eye. also what might happen is someone screeming "Ow, my eye sound, now i can never say lainei"

very bad, never poke or otherwise jab somebodies eye sound because it could result in the inability to say lainei, or any other words with a and i combined.

personally i think llynay looks coolest, because y's are cool, as are double Ls, and the ay i personally like. other cool letters of mine are k, z and x, none of which are as cool as y. i am also a strong advocate for gettting rid of the letter c, k, or s because between the three there are only two sounds, that of the sss or cuh. a step forward would be eliminating silent cs.

i do not get to rewrite the language though, but i can talk about it

i am also a strong advocate for gettting rid of the letter c, k, or s because between the three there are only two sounds, that of the sss or cuh.
But c vs k or c vs s distinguishes some words.

I'd be more interested in renaming W. We could call it "woo", or "wa", or something. Much better than "double-you".

a step forward would be eliminating silent cs.
Eliminating what now?

i am also a strong advocate for gettting rid of the letter c, k, or s because between the three there are only two sounds, that of the sss or cuh.

I have had the same argument. I vote semoving the letter C. C just Copies the sounds from K and S. That way there is no confusion about which sound the letter C actually makes.

Silent letters should be banned. They have no purpose.