Nevermind about Midas Spell/Alchemy

[EDIT]: Having played a bit of Avernum 6, I see that the Geneforge engine gives you quite a large inventory without the restrictive weight limit for packing unequipped items. [/EDIT]

This ties into my idea for a bank deposit. For the sake of convenience, imagine a method of turning your items into their value of gold without returning to a shop.

It could be a spell called "Like Lead to Gold," "Turn to Gold," or "Midas Touch." Or it could be a potion that does the same.

Perhaps it would require a high skill investment, high price to purchase the spell/recipe, cost xp per item, or cost a skill point to cast (like a certain spell in Nethergate), but it replaces every unequipped item in inventory with its equivalent in Gold (based on item description).

Obviously I'm complicating a Gold system that has worked fine for thousands of players, but I wanted to throw it out there. It's just that I've always farmed gold from item selling, but I've never enjoyed the time spent on it.

Also, turning your inventory into gold would usually be a bad thing. Backup items? Potions and scrolls? Poof!

—Alorael, who thinks the larger obstacle is the fact that the series is over, at least for now. There aren't likely to be any more Avernums. Remakes will come along one day, quite possibly with a new name, but there will be no A7.