Happy Thanksgiving

Acky

Originally Posted By: Dantius
It's possible to survive at 100 degrees below body temperature by wearing heavy clothes. It's definitley not possible to survive at 100 degrees above body temperature

1. Surviving in extremely cold environments requires that you wear specific sorts of clothing as opposed to just slapping on another coat whenever you start getting cold.

2. Short of doing something really crazy like jumping into a volcano, where on Earth do you expect to find temperatures that hot?

Dikiyoba.

Oh, and I use Fahrenheit, because only commies in Europe use Celsius. THIS IS AMERICA!

Wow arrogant much?

America is one of the few places that still uses all the out dated IMPERIAL systems which is clung to even tho its just a hang over of when America was just a British colony ironic aint it?

Originally Posted By: Dakkanor
(I can't believe you just posted that)

Protip: Whenever someone who has shown that they are not off-the-wall insane uses the word "commie" or some variation, there is an extremely high chance that they are not being serious. I actually use metric quite often, but can't get used to celsius. So, in casual conversation, I will use meters and degrees Fahrenheit.

Protip: Whenever someone who has shown that they are not off-the-wall insane uses the word "commie" or some variation, there is an extremely high chance that they are not being serious. I actually use metric quite often, but can't get used to celsius. So, in casual conversation, I will use meters and degrees Fahrenheit.

I don't think you should expect us to assume that. When I first read your post, I thought you were actually saying that using the metric system is communist.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur

I don't think you should expect us to assume that. When I first read your post, I thought you were actually saying that using the metric system is communist.

The Metric system was invented during the French Revolution, IIRC. Communism didn't come around until the Russian Revolution (not counting ideals, only the practical inception). How could using the metric system be communist if it had been around ~100 hears before communism?

The Metric system was invented during the French Revolution, IIRC. Communism didn't come around until the Russian Revolution (not counting ideals, only the practical inception). How could using the metric system be communist if it had been around ~100 hears before communism?

A handful of things that are occasionally labeled communist aren't even communist at all, so I don't assume that everyone I meet on the internet knows what is and what is not communist.

Anyways, many of the ideas in the Communist Manifesto had already existed previously. For example, there was a pamphlet (which I can't remember the name of) written in the early sixteenth century which endorsed commonly owned property.

Originally Posted By: Excalibur

A handful of things that are occasionally labeled communist aren't even communist at all, so I don't assume that everyone I meet on the internet knows what is and what is not communist.

Anyways, many of the ideas in the Communist Manifesto had already existed previously. For example, there was a pamphlet (which I can't remember the name of) written in the early sixteenth century which endorsed commonly owned property.

From Wikipedia:

Quote:
In 1586, the Flemish mathematician Simon Stevin published a small pamphlet called De Thiende ("the tenth"). Decimal fractions had been employed for the extraction of square roots some five centuries before his time, but nobody established their daily use before Stevin. He felt that this innovation was so significant that he declared the universal introduction of decimal coinage, measures, and weights to be merely a question of time.

Well, yes, but just like you can trace Communism back to basically tribal eras, in hundreds of centuries BC, you can probably also trace forms of the Metric system, and counting based on the base-10 system that far back, as well. So I guess that they are old enough that it really becomes ridiculous. I still think I'm, right, though, and counting is older than sharing. After all, we're human.

Even more than that, it's simply brilliant to count in the base corresponding to the number of body parts. For example, we have 10 digits on our hands. Some cultures used base 5 or 20, for one hand and toes+fingers, respectively. Finger counting makes math so much easier tongue

I still think I'm, right, though, and counting is older than sharing. After all, we're human.

First came the tax collector, then came the government that collected the taxes after the victims wondered what happened to their taxes and the collector needed troops to protect him. smile

Our systems that use minutes and seconds, those being measurement of degrees around a circle and time (around a clock face?) are borrowed from Babylonian systems. They used a kind of hybrid base 10+60, so 60 made sense for them. It makes less sense for us, but metric time really isn't likely to catch on.

—Alorael, who imagines that space-dwellers who lack an enforced 24 hour day might become accustomed to a different unit.

12 and 60 are both good because they are readily divisible into multiples: 12 is evenly divisible by 1 through 6 except 5, and 60 gets 5 in as well. And dividing evenly was probably the killer app for counting in the first place. Measuring time was probably also about dividing it evenly, long before it was ever about making appointments — everyone has to spend the same amount of time on night watch, or whatever.