Choose-Your-Own 3rd Gen Exile/Avernum [spoilers]

Are there any details, minor or major, that you would write differently in Avernum series remake? I came up with this after reflecting on Avernum 3, which I've just beaten. I thought it would be interesting to see how certain plot elements could play out differently.

1. Anama mission to aid research in developing an Antimagic Shard/Powder. By mid-to-late game, you can purchase an expensive item that generates an antimagic cloud.

2. Characters are no longer called "pale" after a few weeks in the sun. If party has no sliths, you are essentially unrecognizable as Avernites. There is an ironic mission in which the mayor of Gale, who resents rumors that a band of Avernites is beating the plagues, asks you to report Avernite infiltrators and tasks you with defeating the Golems "before they (the Avernites) interfere." Gives good reward, then finally realizes that you are the Avernites.

3A. When Erika is present for the final battle, Jeff has so far narrated that Rentar's defenses waver by the time she finally defeats Erika. What should change is that your party can defeat Rentar in combat after this point. If she does not die outright, she at least flees due to grievous damage suffered by your magic & blades. This hardly changes the ending, but it would be more satisfying to me as a player. I don't know if I speak for anyone else.

3B. Otherwise, there is a way to achieve an ending in which Erika joins the final battle but does not die, or if she does, she is resurrected/appears as a shade in the epilogue. I still wonder why various NPCs can't be brought back to life like the party can.

4. In any of the games, a new mission - similar to the "find Graymold (Salve) for __" quest, which pops up each episode - could be included that requires the party to "restore life to __." Even if Erika Redmark can't be resurrected, I think it would be worth acknowledging that SOMEONE, even a generic quest character, can be revived with that Return Life spell that only healers or party members seem to know.

What do you think? Are there any aspects of Avernum you've wanted to flesh out or rewrite?

Damn! I guess A6 is ruined for me. I was crossing my fingers that there would be an ending that puts the party in real power. They are always nameless heroes.

On that note, I would also like to see NPCs stop treating adventurers with such disdain, as if they haven't heard of the great feats performed by small mercenary bands of the past. In X2 and X3, a group of adventurers has already saved the people of the Pit and become famous. Why do soldiers, high level mages, and government officials tend to treat up-and-coming heroes with disrespect?

There are often wizards who won't "lower" themselves to teach spells to a group of adventurers that have already defeated more monsters than the wizard ever did. In Avernum 3 there are doubters who scoff at the party's abilities. Even Prazac, when asked about the terms of her agreement with Anaximander, says something like "these are higher matters of state; if they were for you to know, you'd be told." I felt like saying, "Well excuuuse me, empress. I just frakkin cleared a continent of monsters. I think I've achieved VIP status by now."

Also, 5000 gold coins? 5000 gold coins? I paid more for Hawke's Manse! I get half a mansion for defeating Valorim's foes in Avernum 3?!?

Someone in A6 does comment on adventurers and Avernum a bit. Specifically, the non-adventurers feel a little bit left out of the glory.

—Alorael, who also thinks A6, like A2, has something of an excuse. You're soldiers. You're not covering yourselves with glory, you're given tasks by your superior officers and you carry them out. That's just what you're supposed to do.

Originally Posted By: A Presumptuous Gallivanter
On that note, I would also like to see NPCs stop treating adventurers with such disdain, as if they haven't heard of the great feats performed by small mercenary bands of the past.
Why do soldiers, high level mages, and government officials tend to treat up-and-coming heroes with disrespect?

I'm with you 100%; that said, I think it's more like they don't expect your particular band of riff-raff to be the next group of legends. Then again, towards the end of each game you'd think they'd sit up and take notice. I agree, it IS annoying.

There are often wizards who won't "lower" themselves to teach spells to a group of adventurers that have already defeated more monsters than the wizard ever did.

Ha! When it gets too frustrating, I save the game, then go on a rampage. Block the town exits, and then slaughter the miserable ingrates.

Even Prazac, when asked about the terms of her agreement with Anaximander, says something like "these are higher matters of state; if they were for you to know, you'd be told." I felt like saying, "Well excuuuse me, empress. I just frakkin cleared a continent of monsters. I think I've achieved VIP status by now."

Absolutely.

Also, 5000 gold coins? 5000 gold coins? I paid more for Hawke's Manse! I get half a mansion for defeating Valorim's foes in Avernum 3?!?

Hilarious! That was my exact reaction as well. "Aww, a pile of shiny coins! Wait, I've seen this before...". I wanted so badly to say "We don't need any more pocket change, highness... save it for your subjects."