A6 - CPU usage

RT4ME

I'm noticing a fairly high CPU usage when playing Avernum 6, or at least higher than I would have expected. I have a 2GHz core2 duo iMac and CPU usage consistently hovers around 50%, even when I'm not playing and the game is just sitting there. Anyone else noticing this?

I will say that I'm really enjoying the new chapter. My family isn't too thrilled through since I spend so much time in the office now.

The usage is 'normal'. 50% means that it is maxing out one core. It will take whatever processing it can get and give you the highest framerate it can manage - at least for the main thread. If Jeff starts taking advantage of Grand Central Station in 10.6 it might just get multithread aware and breakout from that one core limit!

Yes, I've noticed the same thing as well. At first I thought that A6 might be doing a busy wait in the runloop but I also came to the conclusion that it is probably just trying to draw the highest framerate possible.

I really wish there were a framerate cap or something. Since A6 is completely turn based rendering at a higher framerate basically just makes the mouse more responsive, and animations run faster.

I very briefly profiled A6 using shark and noticed that the main thread was using ~1.5% of its time calling unix time functions. That seems a bit odd to me but anyways...

I use an external 1920x1200 24" monitor with my Macbook Pro when I'm at home. I usually run in lid-closed mode, only driving the external monitor while gaming. On my 2.4GHz C2D Macbook Pro I get 15fps or less in complex areas like the castle (at my monitor's native resolution). I always ran Geneforge 5 at 1920x1200 and it was quite playable, while A6 is not.

Even though Grand Central Dispatch is quite cool, its not really suited for realtime applications since it doesn't make any guarantee that things will be completed on your schedule.