Av3: Dress [+] vs. Mithril Woven Robe

For a mage character approaching the final chapters of Avernum 3 (Alien Beasts, Pit of Wyrm, Tower of Zkal, etc.), which should reduce the most damage based on statistics?

Dress [+]: 1-1 damage, 20% protection from all damage

Mithril Woven Robe: 1-14 damage, 20% less chance to be hit, +10% Magic resistance, prevents petrification

Steel Plate Mail: 1-40 + 2 damage

The character's other equipment already adds 20% protection from all damage to several innate resistances [(70% fire, 40% Cold, 30% Magic,30% Mental, 40% Acid); Magic Resistance = 35; Willpower=43; Resist Elements = 20].

Does armor protection only prevent variable points of weapon damage? Does "less chance to be hit" also only protect from weapon attacks?

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't bother with either if you can avoid it. There's better stuff out there like Pachtar's, Polished, Radiant Robe, and Robe of the Magi, plus other arguable stuff like Icy Chain Mail and Red Scale Armor. Take the Mithril Robe if you care about Resist Petrification and like the other stats, but otherwise I'd go with something else. But generally by late game I prefer AP and offensive bonuses to defensive ones.

How do you feel about say, Armor Rings versus Assassin's Bands for your fighters?

Pfff... That wasn't my question. I wanted to understand which of those three would prevent the most damage, given the numbers.

I didn't think there was a Robe of the Magi available until the Tower Disaster. Also, since we're discussing a mage, why would I put Pachtar's plate on the mage instead of a fighter? The reason I didn't bother with conventional armor for my mage is she never got hit by melee attacks. Does she derive any use, therefore, from the high % armor?

IRC, I used an Assassin's Band on my fighter(s), but I didn't necessarily find more than one.

My question is about the value of damage reduction vs. evasion, and perhaps the difference between melee damage reduction and magic/elemental damage reduction. Would Steel Plate Mail reduce any damage from the latter?

Geneforge guy speaking here, so things might be a little different for me. Protection from Damage stacks, so with, say 50% Damage protection, a 20% would multiply, thus giving you only 60% protection. A less to hit, however, would mean that you would get the full 20% bonus, making it a better deal. Plus, it blocks more damage. Go for the Mithril Robe.