Online Storage sites

VCH

In separate files or in one single file?

Rapidshare is an option, but not the best.

iDrive I recommend, you get 10 gb per account if you send an email about the site to ten email adresses. So you coudl just make 10 gmails, register and account to each, and send emails to all the other with each account. that would make 100 gb.

The reason I want to use online storage is so that I can upload large amounts of data quickly via my universities' internet connection. I am working on an honours project that uses infrared modified web cams to track the movement of terrestrial isopods. The previous student that worked with this system went the hardrive route but apparently with USB 2 it took hours to move all the data onto the external hardrive. I figure that uploading then downloading should be much faster, as I can upload simultaneously from the four computers, and university upload speeds are crazy fast.

I agree. I've never seen any upload/download speeds involving the internet that compared to modern cables. Firewire 800 is quite satisfyingly fast, although apparently now deprecated by just about everyone. USB is quite good enough to transfer 60 gigs in a few minutes.

—Alorael, who has in fact been using his laptop as a hub so that data can go in one cable and out another as he tried to consolidate and organize backups from five different hard disks.

A lot of your problem sounds like it may be the fragmentation of the data into many small files. This often drastically slows down processes like transfer or deletion. If it took 3 hours just to mark the files as deleted, I would expect it to take at least that long to pour them into the network connection for uploading.

on modern filesystems it's pretty hard to get your disk fragmented badly enough to noticeably affect performance unless you've also used up nearly all the available disk space, which you shouldn't do anyway

on the other hand if they're university computers they're probably still using FAT32 or something