Okay, now that's just creepy

The Mystic

Originally Posted By: Master1
That's a bit creepy. I mean, games like this have been on the internet for a while, but who actually plays them?

Okay, if you really want that, go ahead. But really, get a life.
Seconded; I don't even go on dating websites, let alone play virtual date games. If I want a relationship, it'll be with a real person, not a series of ones and zeros on a computer or gaming system.

there is a certain sense of him not having enough friends in his life in order to make him fall in love with his ds.

i mean i loved my gameboy growing up, but i meant playing game boy not marrying it.

what could bring a man to humiliate himself in public by telling the world that hes attracted towards his nintendo??

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
About a year or so ago, I actually heard of someone killing off a virtual spouse. Then again, the couple weren't technically "married"....

Did this have something to do with the game SecondLife? I think I remember hearing something about that but don't remember the details.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
What harm has this man's attraction to a video game character inflicted on anyone? Does he not deserve a right to his own lifestyle in the same way homo- and heterosexual people do?

A valid question to be raised, and I agree that some of the comments here are a little too aggressive for my tastes.

I maintain that I'm creeped out by it, because it differs significantly from my personal idea of a relationship. Also, because it has funky implications for my hopeful industry of choice (game design). But I see no reason to try and stop the guy, because when it comes right down to it, he can do what he wants unless it negatively impacts someone else in a significant fashion.

(And no, being disgusted or creeped out is not significant. Well, maybe insignificantly significant.)

EDIT: Looked at the video that ES posted back at the beginning of the thread. I'm happy to see that at least the character models avoid uncanny valley, if narrowly. Not sure which side they belong on, which is actually makes it odd again. Hunh.

Actually people who consider themselves conservative in morals would say this is ethically wrong, my english teacher recently informed me and rest of philosophy club of a study that shows an accuracte representation of the difference between conservative and liberal peoples thinking, both valuing fairness and nothing harmed. but conservative thinking people would ussually also factor in purity, if it disgusts them, authority, if it is disrespectful to something in some way, and group, if they can relate to whatever it is.

what we are discussing would most likely violate purity and probobly also group. when informed half of the very few members burst into laughter claiming they are liberals, me being one of those. i also do agree that if nobody is hurt by this and nothing unfair happens it should be at the very least allowed.

Honestly I think that this is a subject with a wide range of views available. Personally if a character is drawn well I can find them very attractive. I would never go as far as to marry it or attempt a relationship, but if I fantasize about real life people who I have a basically non-existent chance of getting why not fantasize about non-existent people?

Originally Posted By: llloyd
Actually people who consider themselves conservative in morals would say this is ethically wrong, my english teacher recently informed me and rest of philosophy club of a study that shows an accuracte representation of the difference between conservative and liberal peoples thinking, both valuing fairness and nothing harmed. but conservative thinking people would ussually also factor in purity, if it disgusts them, authority, if it is disrespectful to something in some way, and group, if they can relate to whatever it is.

I am puzzled by this. "A study". Funny, I just ready a case study where informants were asked to evaluate the validity of statements read by authority figures. Some were prefaced by the words "Studies show" and some were not.

Conservative and liberal are all relative. Shall we whip out the political compass thing again, or are we past that point now? tongue

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: llloyd

I am puzzled by this. "A study". Funny, I just ready a case study where informants were asked to evaluate the validity of statements read by authority figures. Some were prefaced by the words "Studies show" and some were not.

i am familiar with the study in question and honestly it's pretty dubious, it's not hard to make a case that most people of different political leanings basically value the same kinds of thing but recognise different kinds of purity, authority and social group as important (see: left-wing opposition to genetically modified organisms [which admittedly is also based on economic arguments but certainly uses a discourse of purity], near-universal condemnation of destruction of historical artifacts even if of no practical importance, etc.)

i mean none of this applies if you actually have a considered philosophical position that values specific things but most people don't